PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 4 thoughts around the NFL

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
about 1/4th of the regular season is in the books. I want to talk about some random NFL things that don't deserve their own thread.

#1 Defense. In a league which has really done a lot to favor the offenses in the past decade i'm pretty happy to see a resurgence of defense. Around the NFL are a number of truly great defenses around the league. I'm happy to see that again.

#2 SF. This is a team i think people are sleeping on. While I'd like to see 1-2 more games I think their D may be legit and one of the elites in the league pretty close to the Pats/Bills/Bears. A lot of things indicate that to be the case. If so they could really make some noise.

#3 QB play. This is really starting to become an issue. Right now of the top 16 QBs in passer rating last year only 6 are currently in the top 16 right now. Mahomes Wilson Brady Rivers Prescott Watson. There is a huge amount of inconsistency at this spot week in week out year in year out. Think of it this way. If not for Mahomes Matt Ryan could have been the MVP last year. He also could have been the MVP in 2016. In 2015 and 2017 he was below average. Not off to a good start this year. It seems more and more QB has become a position where the schedule you play and the players around you matter much more than your actual play.

#4 Inconsistency. Sports has always had a good level of inconsistency and football is no except. It seems this year it is worse than ever though. Few teams, offenses or defenses show any signs of being able to string even 2 weeks together, let alone 16. It makes it hard to watch or talk about match ups. Which hurts the league.

#5 Parity. There are 3 kinds of teams in the NFL. Teams that suck. The other 24 or so teams. And then Patriots and KC. IT is annoying how none of the other teams in the NFL can seem to put it together. Sadly without the Pats and KC i worry about there being a truly great game worth watching this year with 2 teams you know will be competent and show up on the big stage.

Last edited:
#2 SF. This is a team i think people are sleeping on. While I'd like to see 1-2 more games I think their D may be legit and one of the elites in the league pretty close to the Pats/Bills/Bears. A lot of things indicate that to be the case. If so they could really make some noise.
Monday night is a big game for them. While the Browns still have a lot to prove, they have a lot of talent. 9ers can move the ball on offense, but they take really dumb penalties and make mistakes in the red zone. Their D is legit. Yes, people are sleeping on them.

Pats-49ers Super Bowl? ...too bad there’d be no interesting storylines there. o_O

...I’m talking Super Bowl matchups after week 4... just shoot me.

We still have 4-5 more weeks to go before there is some clarity and the cream rises to the top.....

We will see more consistency then, IMO.

5 Parody. There are 3 kinds of teams in the NFL. Teams that suck. The other 24 or so teams. And then Patriots and KC. IT is annoying how none of the other teams in the NFL can seem to put it together. Sadly without the Pats and KC i worry about there being a truly great game worth watching this year with 2 teams you know will be competent and show up on the big stage.

The NFL will eat **** when Brady retires and the Patriots are no longer the Death Star. Mahomes looks great but will negate much of his value with a monster contract...KC will likely be the new 2000s Steelers/early 2010s Packers, winning 2 of every 3 games and showing up in the SB every five years, a Lite Dynasty that also has some 8-8 years.

Inconsistency and parity will reign supreme. Ratings will plummet.

I think the reason why QBs are struggling this year is because of the decline of offensive linemen performances across the league. I don't watch other teams, but based on other team forums' reactions, predicted contending (or potentially contending) teams like the Rams, Vikings, Browns, Bills, Titans, Texans, Broncos, etc. are all dealing with poor offensive lines. Us, too, after Wynn went down. The fact that college football differs significantly from NFL football is especially hurting offensive linemen prospects and as a result, NFL teams suffer. Very few rookies offensive linemen can be "plug-and-play" these days.

about 1/4th of the regular season is in the books. I want to talk about some random NFL things that don't deserve their own thread.

#1 Defense. In a league which has really done a lot to favor the offenses in the past decade i'm pretty happy to see a resurgence of defense. Around the NFL are a number of truly great defenses around the league. I'm happy to see that again.

#3 QB play. This is really starting to become an issue. Right now of the top 16 QBs in passer rating last year only 6 are currently in the top 16 right now. Mahomes Wilson Brady Rivers Prescott Watson. There is a huge amount of inconsistency at this spot week in week out year in year out. Think of it this way. If not for Mahomes Matt Ryan could have been the MVP last year. He also could have been the MVP in 2016. In 2015 and 2017 he was below average. Not off to a good start this year. It seems more and more QB has become a position where the schedule you play and the players around you matter much more than your actual play.

#4 Inconsistency. Sports has always had a good level of inconsistency and football is no except. It seems this year it is worse than ever though. Few teams, offenses or defenses show any signs of being able to string even 2 weeks together, let alone 16. It makes it hard to watch or talk about match ups. Which hurts the league.

#5 Parody. There are 3 kinds of teams in the NFL. Teams that suck. The other 24 or so teams. And then Patriots and KC. IT is annoying how none of the other teams in the NFL can seem to put it together. Sadly without the Pats and KC i worry about there being a truly great game worth watching this year with 2 teams you know will be competent and show up on the big stage.
Matt Ryan did win MVP in 2016.

...I’m talking Super Bowl matchups after week 4... just shoot me.
I'll give you my standard line when someone asks me to do that (usually my wife), "I would, but I'm not that nice. :)"

As for the topic, let's give it some more time, there are other teams out there that look like they have a shot (Outside of KC/NE). Though, they'll have to come from the NFC because in the AFC, it's those 2 and #3 is far behind (that statement assumes good health).

I wonder if this is happening again.

There's a difference between parity and parody. Unless you meant that the NFL was a mockery of itself, which is a position I can get on board with, you used the wrong one

...There are 3 kinds of teams in the NFL. Teams that suck. The other 24 or so teams. And then Patriots and KC. IT is annoying how none of the other teams in the NFL can seem to put it together. Sadly without the Pats and KC i worry about there being a truly great game worth watching this year with 2 teams you know will be competent and show up on the big stage.
I don't...in fact, I want KC to suck too.

The NFL will eat **** when Brady retires and the Patriots are no longer the Death Star. Mahomes looks great but will negate much of his value with a monster contract...KC will likely be the new 2000s Steelers/early 2010s Packers, winning 2 of every 3 games and showing up in the SB every five years, a Lite Dynasty that also has some 8-8 years.

Inconsistency and parity will reign supreme. Ratings will plummet.

Until the big bad Patriots return with Trevor Lawrence and Steve Belichick...

News flash from Atlanta: the Falcons really, really suck.

edited to add: 28-3 will haunt this organization forever

Damn Hogs...get well soon bruh.

Monday night is a big game for them. While the Browns still have a lot to prove, they have a lot of talent. 9ers can move the ball on offense, but they take really dumb penalties and make mistakes in the red zone. Their D is legit. Yes, people are sleeping on them.
Nick Bosa looks awesome. Never quits on a play. Shows great pursuit on plays away from him.

Regards,
Chris

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back