PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have Adalius Thomas now so??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a very good chance that the Pats will end up with 12-13 draft picks after the comp picks are handed out. Those 2-4 comp picks aren't tradeable and we all know that there are only so many spots on the roster and the Pats, under Belichick, have limited themselves to 10 picks in any given draft year. So, there could be trade-ups, trade-downs and trades into next year.

There are players coming back from injury who are going to have to fight for a position (Randall Gay, Mel Mitchell). There are players who are probably boardline (Wilson, Hawkins, Mays, Woods, Alexander, Andrews, Childress, Kight, Q. Hill, M. Hill, L. Smith, etc) who will ALSO have to fight for a position with the new free agents and draft picks coming in.

I agree, there are just too picks to use them all. 10 is a nice round number and will add some serious competition for roster spots 45-53. There may be some "Gorin" type trades as camp gets going. We will likely be cutting some pretty good players which is a high class problem to have. We have enough ammo to manipulate the board so we get specific players that have targeted or trade into 2008.

The draft is setup beautifully to take the best player available in round 1 (except for QB, PK, P) and then address positions of need (WR, CB, ILB, S).

I am in the minority but I see Safety behind WR, ILB, CB. I see FS but like some of these hybrid S/FS players, Sabby looks interesting in rounds 3-4.

We have more options for our 1st two picks.
I would like DB and either another LB to groom slow or what? WR
What do you think?

This takes the pressure off needing to draft a rookie to help the LB corp in 2007 - not that Belicheck has ever relied on a rookie LB to be a starter.

We still need to develop our LB corp of the future, especially on the inside. I think its a lock that the Pats will draft DeOssie.

I'd really like to see us get Rodney's replacement at safety - Reggie Nelson.

And the Pats will also likely draft and groom Samuel's replacement for 2008.

I'd say LB is still a wide-open position. TBC, Seau, Gardner, Izzo and Davis are all FAs, and you have to assume the majority will be gone. Right now ALL the primary backup roles are up for grabs. IMO, this is the ideal position to be in to bring in a couple of good-looking rookies. We'll be glad for it the next year.

There is a very good chance that the Pats will end up with 12-13 draft picks after the comp picks are handed out. Those 2-4 comp picks aren't tradeable and we all know that there are only so many spots on the roster and the Pats, under Belichick, have limited themselves to 10 picks in any given draft year. So, there could be trade-ups, trade-downs and trades into next year.

Pats are at 8 right now (+1st, +6th, -5th), so the comp picks could bring the number up to 12--which I agree is a couple too many for a team that just made the AFCCG. [Personally, I'd rather see the Pats push at least one of their tradable picks into 2008.]

Last edited:
This takes the pressure off needing to draft a rookie to help the LB corp in 2007 - not that Belicheck has ever relied on a rookie LB to be a starter.

We still need to develop our LB corp of the future, especially on the inside. I think its a lock that the Pats will draft DeOssie.

I'd really like to see us get Rodney's replacement at safety - Reggie Nelson.

And the Pats will also likely draft and groom Samuel's replacement for 2008.

Honestly, I think that John Wendling would be a better replacement than Nelson at SS. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I think that John Wendling would be a better replacement than Nelson at SS. Just my opinion.

I think Nelson is strictly a fs. He's not that big a guy. He's got great ball skills and would be an ideal cf in the secondary.

I think that the Patriots still need to draft/sign 2-3 more linebackers. My reasoning is that the draft picks will take 2-3 years to produce and that another signing could be worked into the rotation.

I still would love for the Pats to sign Jarrett Johnson.

Bastard Ravens re signed him yesterday. I guess they did not want to lose 2 of theirs to the Pats.

I heard the analyst on Surius radio say that he would not be surprised if the Pats sign WR Welker, which would cost us a second round pick.

Considering that we don't look to get much next year in the way of compensation picks, I would expect to see some trades of picks from this year to next year as well as maybe trading picks to move up for a player or two.

Wouldn't trading our 3rd round pick along with our #24 be worth getting Landry if he lasts until around #15 or so? Then maybe we trade #28 for a 2nd round pick plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes