PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are VERY THIN at WR !

Status
Not open for further replies.
jczxohn1 said:
While his sensitivity has been questioned by some, there is absolutely no truth to the rumor that he is related to Bag O Hammers.:D

(That's about as senistral a compliment as you can get.)
No, but my cousin Ton_O_Bricks has got a thing for hyper-sensitive Nuts and their outspoken children.... :bricks: Better yet, I could just ask Bill's Girl to get that little Christmas Toy Solder thing of hers out and pay Nut a visit. :eek:

shirtsleeve said:
Ok, from what I read and hear, this situation is not going to resolve itself this year.

1) There are no really good #2 wr's in the free agent market to replace DG, and the only outstanding #1 is absolute poison. Hence bidding is going to be high for the stock available.
Wouldn't you take a Moulds or a Jureviciuos as a 2?? I think in time...a good vet receiver will fall...maybe NOT in a month..but in 1 or 2

MooseKnuckles said:
The TO factor could be pretty interesting. He is by far the most talented WR in the NFL and can be available for far far under typical market value. Its a shame that no one would touch him. Imagine him in a Pats uniform putting up 120/1TD per game for the first 6 weeks and then ... BOOM ! The TO blow up, magnified 100x by the Boston Media .. its a beat writers dream!

Is there a way to sign with with a 3 million dollar bonus if he does not open his mouth to speak from Sept - January ?

I just got an ice cream headache from the thought of the WEEI onslaught if TO were acting up here. Can you imagine Dale Arnold's indignation and The Forehead's morality rants?

I keep asking myself why I'm not as concerned with our WR situation as other people are. I guess part of the answer is because we have gone through this process before with people like Patten and still had continued success. As long as we have Brady there to get the ball in the right place and at the right time to Deion, maybe Andre, maybe Troy, and a new draft pick like Stovall who has been mentioned a number of times in this thread, I think we'll be fine. DG has worked extremely hard and made himself into a great possession WR. He makes tough catch after tough catch but I really believe that he is getting a great amount of attention now in large part because he's had the advantage of having a great QB and an OC like Weis who wasn't afraid to throw the ball.

I'm not really worried about this position especially with weapons at TE in Watson and in RB like Faulk. I think we'll have a nicely balanced offense next season with or without Givens. It would be great if we got him back because he's shown a lot of success in the system. But I don't think it would be absolutely crucial to our success to re-sign him. There are other options out there in case he leaves the team.

Last edited:
There is only so much cash to go around - overpaying for DG or any WR is not smart. It really is as simple as that. I am positive we will have 5 or 6 WR's when we play our first game, anybody disagree?

Last edited:
I like Brian Finneran from the Falcons. Everybody saw what he did against the Pats when he had a quarterback, not a running back in quarterback's clothing. It would also give us some size, he's listed at 6'5".

Also Javon Walker is looking for a trade of out Green Bay.

Willie55 said:
I like Brian Finneran from the Falcons. Everybody saw what he did against the Pats when he had a quarterback, not a running back in quarterback's clothing. It would also give us some size, he's listed at 6'5".

Also Javon Walker is looking for a trade of out Green Bay.

Good call on Walker.

He's a former explosive pro bowler, and some teams might stay away from him because of his injury history, which will drop his price.

Box_O_Rocks said:
No, but my cousin Ton_O_Bricks has got a thing for hyper-sensitive Nuts and their outspoken children.... :bricks: Better yet, I could just ask Bill's Girl to get that little Christmas Toy Solder thing of hers out and pay Nut a visit. :eek:

Now that is thinking outside the "box".

I was thinking outside the "box" when I suggested Watson as a #2 reciever.

We need more thinking outside the "box".:singing:

re:

Here's an idea:

What about keeping two tight ends on the line, and one tight end out wide, with one receiver wide on the other side? A 3 tight end, 1 WR set, if you will.

Then, just run one of those quick sideline passes and let the tight ends take turns ramming into the cornerback or 2nd-string linebacker who is covering him out wide.

I know it's not realistic, but I've always wanted the Pats to put someone huge out there instead of seeing a small, quick guy, and seeing what would happen.

Let me put the wide receiver situation in perspective for you. Consider the possibility of Branch being hurt late in preseason, if the team allows him to play any of preseason. Even with Branch, we need help.

1. Please consider how many passes the rest of the wide receivers we have signed so far caught last year (a total of FOUR).

2. We need at least three more wide receivers

3. We are going into a free agent market where teams were already ready to overpay. The teams now have about $320M more to spend for the same players. If we pay a lot, Branch will be almost unrerachable next year, after his contract is up.

4. The draft is extremely weak at WR. There are a few for whom teams will overpay.

---------
We have options. But make no mistake. This is the biggest off-season hurdle for the patriots. I'd be OK with re-signing Davis, Dwight, Troy Brown and trading for Moulds. But even that plan contains a lot of if's.

smg93 said:
I keep asking myself why I'm not as concerned with our WR situation as other people are. I guess part of the answer is because we have gone through this process before with people like Patten and still had continued success. As long as we have Brady there to get the ball in the right place and at the right time to Deion, maybe Andre, maybe Troy, and a new draft pick like Stovall who has been mentioned a number of times in this thread, I think we'll be fine. DG has worked extremely hard and made himself into a great possession WR. He makes tough catch after tough catch but I really believe that he is getting a great amount of attention now in large part because he's had the advantage of having a great QB and an OC like Weis who wasn't afraid to throw the ball.

I'm not really worried about this position especially with weapons at TE in Watson and in RB like Faulk. I think we'll have a nicely balanced offense next season with or without Givens. It would be great if we got him back because he's shown a lot of success in the system. But I don't think it would be absolutely crucial to our success to re-sign him. There are other options out there in case he leaves the team.

I guess I just feel that much of the success of our receivers was because we've got a fantastic QB, and not because we have receivers in the class of a Randy Moss or Jerry Rice who can make their QB's look great.

I have a feeling that if you stick in players that have been mentioned already in this thread like a Finneran through FA and/or Stovall through the draft then I think we'd be ok. I think Tom makes these guys look so good that sometimes we feel that people like DG are irreplaceable.

Don't get me wrong, Branch and DG are productive players. So productive that as you pointed out, all other WR's caught only four balls. The thing is I do remember the days when a fellow by the name of Ben Coates caught more passes than DG did last year, his best year. With another year on Watson's resume, there is every possiblity that he could match the 59 catch season DG had with us last year in my opinion. I don't think WR is our biggest problem right now. There are other areas like RB and LB that I'm more concerned about

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes