PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are playing the Oilers this week, join the boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew the Titans and Texans had been recycled, but the "Miami Seahawks" was a new one on me!

I knew the Titans and Texans had been recycled, but the "Miami Seahawks" was a new one on me!

There are a lot of team names out there that have come and gone. Bulldogs, Staleys, Brooklyn Dodgers (yes a football team), and I believe Rangers are just a few.

Nem -
Why didn't you follow up on this? You were so positive that the Colts had started in Boston, yet, their own website says otherwise.

Other cities current/former home to three current NFL teams

New York: Giants, Jets and the aforementioned Colts
Los Angeles: Rams, Raiders and Chargers

Re: Other cities current/former home to three current NFL teams

New York: Giants, Jets and the aforementioned Colts
Los Angeles: Rams, Raiders and Chargers

Actually, the Rams started off as the CLEVELAND RAMS in 1937. They moved to Los Angeles after the 1945 season.

They use the term "Tacks" when referring to themselves, I don't know exactly how that came about but I can't give them too hard of a time since they ARE from Tennessee.

I think it refers to their logo, which one sportswriter calls the 'flaming thumbtack'

It's really kinda funny, like the way we call our guy flying Elvis

The thing about our team name, the Texans, is that Texas has an actual identity unlike the other 49 states in the union. When people think Texas, they think greatness.

I was thinking the name fits perfectly because of the complete lack of imagination.

Just a few corrections and suggestions.

The Indianapolis colts would be better named the Indy Racers.

The Colts were created by the merger of several dissolved AAFC clubs. As reported they trace the NAME from the Colts and Miami Seahawks dissolved in '51 But resurrected by the Dallas Texans side of the family which were the Boston Yanks/Bulldogs, New York Yankees and Dallas Texans before being reconstituted as the new Baltimore Colts with some players from the defunct Seahawks/Colts/Texans/Yanks/Bills.

Boston has lost three NFL clubs who moved to DC, Baltimore and Foxboro.

But did you know how close Boston came to having its third team actually disappear?

When the merger talks first started in '66 between the NFL and the AFL, the consensus opinion was that the merger would be like the AAFC merger were several teams dissolved and a few like the Browns, 49ers, were absorbed into the NFL; The other AAFC clubs that died were the Bills, Texans, old Colts among others.

The released AAFC players were used to stock the new Baltimore Colts.

Anyway in 1966 the NFL wanted to do just as they had with the AAFC, absorb some teams, and kill the rest. The NFL proposed to take the most stable AFL clubs into the NFL and dissolve a couple of weaker ones.

One of those to be killed was the Boston Patriots as it was grossly under capitalized, Had no place to play and Boston was not a "football" town.

Lamar Hunt who just died would not hear of it. He said he wanted a "true merger" and wouldn't double cross the fellow owners who bled lots of money trying to make the AFL a success. He "saved" pro football for Boston and New England. He was true friend to Billy Sullivan and the others. It would have been the "third strike" against Boston as a pro football area.

Can you name the other AFL teams that were proposed for extermination?

Last edited:
"Texans" is an incredibly annoying and stupid name for a football team, I would hope that even Houston fans would agree with this. Could you imagine if the trend caught on? "The Carolina North Carolinians take on the Kansas City Missourians today; while the New York New Yorkers meet the Washington District of Columbians." It's idiocy.

Fortunately there is a perfectly good name for a Houston team to use until they come to their senses and choose a legitimate one, I therefore respectfully request that we all call them the Oilers for the time being.

:rocker:

I was a HUGE Houston Oiler/Earl Campbell fan. I was Campbell when we played tackle in the fields..... all 100 lbs of me back then.

I loved that Oilers name ... Campbell, White Shoes Johnson, Bum Phillips ... it was like college ball atmosphere in the pros. I would like to see it but don't bet on it.

Actually, the Rams started off as the CLEVELAND RAMS in 1937. They moved to Los Angeles after the 1945 season.
I since realized that the criteria was "originate in a city", not just having been in the city. My bad.

I since realized that the criteria was "originate in a city", not just having been in the city. My bad.

He man. No problems. You offered up good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes