PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
LBs will probably get abused, but we have the secondary to slow down their wideouts in man. Hill will probably catch 1-2 long ones but where we will win or lose the game is the ability to contain their backs and Kelce.

their run defense is bad

View attachment 28764

in before someone replies that this shows Pats have gone against bad run defenses, keep in mind Pats had 217 against the lolphins and 250 against the raiders, so more than half their yards given up this year was because of the Pats running game
“Chiefs run D is bad. But dismiss those other two teams on that list because, uh, they played the Pats. Oh, and please ignore the fact that the Chiefs played the Ravens.”

I think that team has the first realistic shot to 16-0 since us in 2007.

Last week they were a couple yards away from losing to the Chargers. Lets pump the breaks with this. Even if they stay healthy, their schedule this year is not easy.

@Bucs, @Saints, @Bills.. the Raider games won't be gimmes..

BB has built an elite secondary to counter KC's weapons. I am not confident that we have the talent on the D-line and the LB corps to make Mahomes get rid of the ball quick.
They haven’t looked elite so far this season.

Last week they were a couple yards away from losing to the Chargers. Lets pump the breaks with this. Even if they stay healthy, their schedule this year is not easy.

Yeah, they aren’t going 16-0. Their defense, while playing complimentary football, isn’t good enough.

As for our game? Here’s what we know: the offense we have been playing in the first 3 weeks of the season is not designed to beat a team like the Queefs. If it was, the Ravens would not have lost by two touchdowns last night, the Tits and the Texans would not have gotten blown off the field last year, and they likely wouldn’t have won the Super Bowl. Shortening the game is a canard. We know this from our years with Brady. Shortening the game works in the favor of the superior QB... and that’s easily Mahomes. I like how our defense matches up outside of our LBs in coverage, but in order for us to have a chance in this one, Cam is going to have to be able to push the ball down the field from the pocket. Otherwise, they’re just going to sit in Cover-1 all game with Honey Badger as the Rover and they’ll choke off everything underneath with an extra man in the box against the run. We’d get blown out.

Not saying the chiefs are going 16-0, but none of those teams inspire any confidence. In fact, I think the Pats might be the team with the best shot to beat them but it's going to take a great game plan by BB and return of James White.

True. But we had games like that in our 16-0 season too. A Samuel INT late might have prevented a 24 point underdog Eagles from upsetting us at home. And we all remember the Ravens game. Etc.

Hard to see anyone stopping this offense. The Ravens are supposed to be elite and the Chiefs demonstrated they were not in their league.

Many things need to go right. Add me to the "we must run the ball effectively, this year more than ever, to win". I agree with posters stressing the importance of turnovers. Our secondary hasn't been as electric as 2019, but I do like JJ Williams on TEs, so that's a plus.

Chiefs looked like my cat playing with a field mouse last night....Lamar again showed he’s not ready for the bright lights...

Expect the 2018 gameplan. Our team is pretty much built the same way. Run-run-run to keep mahomes off the field and play tight man to man defense.

hopefully cam can play like he did vs. seattle.

I agree that our most reasonable chance to win is to control the time of possession like in 2018 (2:1), score 7 in our redzone trips and then win the turnover battle. And even then most likely we will still need some 50/50 plays to go our way.

That being said, I think this game comes too early for our team. And that's where the inevitable comparisons to the 2018 AFCCG will be misleading. The team that went to Arrowhead back then had an entire season of growth and practice under the hood. That game (and obviously the SB) was essentially the culmination of their progress as a team through the season. The current team is not even close to that, yet.

From that point of view it is a pretty relaxed week because the expectations this year will never be lower than for this game.

Shortening the game is a canard. We know this from our years with Brady. Shortening the game works in the favor of the superior QB... and that’s easily Mahomes.

I agree that you are also affecting your own margin for error by attempting to shorten a game but it worked for some teams like the Ravens and Panthers against past Patriots teams with a superior QB. Of course you will need to get away with 7 on every drive.

It definitely is playing with fire but I am not sure this Pats team can really win a shootout with them either. The Bucs on the other hand could definitely give them a run for their money if they keep progressing until the game at the end of November.

I think this game comes too early for our team. And that's where the inevitable comparisons to the 2018 AFCCG will be misleading. The team that went to Arrowhead back then had an entire season of growth and practice under the hood. That game (and obviously the SB) was essentially the culmination of their progress as a team through the season. The current team is not even close to that, yet.

This.

I agree that you are also affecting your own margin for error by attempting to shorten a game but it worked for some teams like the Ravens and Panthers against past Patriots teams with a superior QB. Of course you will need to get away with 7 on every drive.

It definitely is playing with fire but I am not sure this Pats team can really win a shootout with them either. The Bucs on the other hand could definitely give them a run for their money if they keep progressing until the game at the end of November.
Those teams and games that you reference are also instances where those teams were able to push the ball down the field on those Pats teams. I’m not saying we need to get into/win a shootout. But we need to shake them out of sitting on everything underneath the entire game. Get them into Cover-2, get a safety out of the box. This will then open things up on the ground. Otherwise, it’ll be another 8-11 catch day for Edelman and we will lose by a couple of scores.

Reid >>>>> Arians and that's why the Bucs won't beat them either.

I saw that bomb that Mahomes threw to Hardman on 3rd and long and that reminded me of Brady doing the same with Moss in the Dolphins game in 2007 - they did it because they can. That's bad news for the rest of the league. Obviously it's only week 3 but that's the moment I started thinking 16-0. When offenses are toying with defenses like that that's trouble for the rest of the league including the Patriots this week.

Obviously it's only week 3 but that's the moment I started thinking 16-0. When offenses are toying with defenses like that that's trouble for the rest of the league including the Patriots this week.

So why would you assume that they won't have another stinker like last week where they were lucky to get out of LA with a win against a rookie QB who wasn't even supposed to start ?

So why would you assume that they won't have another stinker like last week where they were lucky to get out of LA with a win against a rookie QB who wasn't even supposed to start ?

Sure they could. But looking on paper I'm not seeing one game the rest of the way that should scare them too much. Except maybe this week a little bit because of who is coaching against them.

Expect a similar gameplan vs. the Chiefs. The Pats 8th DB played 44% of the snaps vs. the Dolphins & their 2nd LB 15% of the snaps. Any handoff behind a mediocre Chiefs interior OL is a win over Mahomes doing his thing IMO.

Here are a few links to what people in Kansas City are writing and saying about the Chiefs and this game:

Their newspaper, the Kansas City Star:

Top Fan Forum:

An SB Nation site, with links to plenty of homer articles and comments:

Another fan forum, useful only for links to stories about the Chiefs:

True. But we had games like that in our 16-0 season too. A Samuel INT late might have prevented a 24 point underdog Eagles from upsetting us at home. And we all remember the Ravens game. Etc.

Hard to see anyone stopping this offense. The Ravens are supposed to be elite and the Chiefs demonstrated they were not in their league.

They just beat the Chargers in OT last week and easily could have lost that game. Odds of them going 16-0 is probably about 100:1. But keep arguing about how the factors are on your side.

Kraft holds the 19 - 0 trademark.

If the season comes down to that KC is bound to face a HOF QB in the SB this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes