PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watching Pats games with Roku

ropese

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I just recently cut the Fios TV cord and bought a Roku device. Is the only way to ensure I am able to watch all Pats games live to purchase a YouTube TV or similar subscription? What is is everyone paying per month for whatever service they are subscribed to? YouTube TV right now is around $80 per month. Thanks

I believe the Roku store has a youtube yv app you can install on the roku. Then you subscribe to the youtube tv app.

I use the NFL app on my Roku and I use the NFL+ Premium service. I live out of state so I can't watch Patriots games live but the thing I love about it is I get to watch the condensed version of the games about 2 hours after they are over. The nice thing about this is that I can watch a whole game in about 30-40 minutes. All extraneous crap is cut out. No commercials, no cutting to the sideline during timeouts listening to the announcers trying to think of something interesting to say while the players shoot snot rockets and sip on Gatorade. They leave in instant replays that are worth watching. Games used to be a 3 hour time sink so I appreciate how I get everything I actually care to see while freeing up my valuable weekend time.

Sport Surge or Sports Urge dot net is all I need. I have a Roku but only so I can mirror/Airplay my Mac screen to my TV screen across the room. Otherwise, a Roku on its own won't give you much unless you have the subscriptions for the apps on it (Netflix, Spotify, Disney+, YouTube, etc.). $80 just for YouTube TV is crazy to me. You can get certain "IPTV packages" with virtually every channel, every UFC or boxing fight, every movie or TV show, for like $20-$50 per month. There's a billion IPTV providers to pick from though. Mainly because they get cloned or re-sold in bulk under different names.. something to that effect.

Last edited:
I got YTTV and NFL Sunday Ticket. I get it just for the football season. I like the key plays feature. All NCAA games and NFL games are recorded.

I don’t like the cost or the user interface.

I suspend once NFL playoffs start and resume in august.

My wife hates it. We still have to keep Dish Network.

Antenna + TabloTV is what I've used. But this assumes you can get all the OTA Boston channels.

Streaming largley sucks and you pretty much have to avoid gamethreads/Twitter as most streaming feeds are 15-60 seconds behind the cable feed.

I cut that cord three years ago, we have Roku devices, we started off on YouTube TV but they didn‘t and still don’t offer NESN so switched to FUBO TV. We pay $90.00 a month, it has all the local Boston channels, the channels it doesn’t offer are any of the Ted Turner channels.

Try a free trial subscription to the different streaming networks to see which one you like best.

I just recently cut the Fios TV cord and bought a Roku device. Is the only way to ensure I am able to watch all Pats games live to purchase a YouTube TV or similar subscription? What is is everyone paying per month for whatever service they are subscribed to? YouTube TV right now is around $80 per month. Thanks
You can purchase Sunday ticket without YouTube tv
Your Roku tv let’s you watch YouTube so you can watch the games without YouTube tv

I personally have YouTube.Tv...for $75/month. Then I paid $289 for Sunday Ticket (with red zone option) back in June before their deadline. I think it is $389 now.

In previous seasons, I was on DirecTV where I paid $110-$115 a month for their "Choice" package then another $350 or so for Sunday Ticket MAX (red zone and ability to stream on all devices).

I don't screw around with illegal streams. The NFL and Google are getting more serious about cracking down on those streams. I have read rumors about retroactive settlement payments being made. They want their money (shrugs).

I just signed on to the Fubo seven day trial now that Spectrum and Disney/ESPN are having a hissy match. I set up a VPN server on my Asus router so I can spoof my home location when I'm in Florida for the winter. I must say that the user interface for Fubo is not as nice as using my Spectrum remote, but it's still early days.

I personally have YouTube.Tv...for $75/month. Then I paid $289 for Sunday Ticket (with red zone option) back in June before their deadline. I think it is $389 now.

In previous seasons, I was on DirecTV where I paid $110-$115 a month for their "Choice" package then another $350 or so for Sunday Ticket MAX (red zone and ability to stream on all devices).

I don't screw around with illegal streams. The NFL and Google are getting more serious about cracking down on those streams. I have read rumors about retroactive settlement payments being made. They want their money (shrugs).
DTV tried that **** with me back in around 2005. I had purchased a smart card reader and they closed the site down with the help of the Canadian government. In doing so they also got the customer list.

One by one they went after everyone on the list trying to get them to agree to pay 10k in order to avoid them suing you.

I repeatedly told them card readers had more than one purpose and the fact that I own one and happen to be a DTV customer does not automatically make me guilty of stealing satellite services I don't pay for.

I told them **** off many times, during the harassment of multiple calls daily, a Virginia judge agreed with my assessment in a counter suit brought by other DTV customers in Virginia that also owned a card reader.

They still harassed me for several months after the ruling. But finally at some point they realized I was not going to succumb to their threats, they finally stopped.

All they have is intimidation.

I just signed on to the Fubo seven day trial now that Spectrum and Disney/ESPN are having a hissy match. I set up a VPN server on my Asus router so I can spoof my home location when I'm in Florida for the winter. I must say that the user interface for Fubo is not as nice as using my Spectrum remote, but it's still early days.
I didn't mind Fubo. The only issues I had was for a streaming service that advertised they are the best for sports, not having TNT and TBS was a problem for NHL and NBA especially in the playoffs.

With that said I only switched to YouTube TV for Sunday ticket. Getting TNT and TBS back was a bonus.

I mostly do the Paramount+ thing and cast it to my tv. But now that CBS doesn’t exclusively broadcast AFC games, it’s a little less reliable for getting most Pats games.

DTV tried that **** with me back in around 2005. I had purchased a smart card reader and they closed the site down with the help of the Canadian government. In doing so they also got the customer list.

One by one they went after everyone on the list trying to get them to agree to pay 10k in order to avoid them suing you.

I repeatedly told them card readers had more than one purpose and the fact that I own one and happen to be a DTV customer does not automatically make me guilty of stealing satellite services I don't pay for.

I told them **** off many times, during the harassment of multiple calls daily, a Virginia judge agreed with my assessment in a counter suit brought by other DTV customers in Virginia that also owned a card reader.

They still harassed me for several months after the ruling. But finally at some point they realized I was not going to succumb to their threats, they finally stopped.

All they have is intimidation.
Didn’t realize you live in VA. What part? I live 20-25 minutes west of Charlottesville.

Pass through NOVA on occasion en route to Maryland to see family.

Small world.

As for the online “bootleg” streams, I highly doubt any one individual viewer could (or would) be held legally responsible for viewing such a stream.

The only real concern, best as I can tell, is ensuring the stream maintains its quality and is not interrupted. They’ve come a long way since 10-12+ years ago, but they’re still not perfect. Last season I frequently found myself having to try multiple streams, refresh frequently, and would often miss small chunks of games. That alone is good incentive for me to look into YTT and Sunday Ticket, as much as I hate the idea of further lining the NFL’s pockets.

If you have real concern about bootleg streams, just find a VPN and you can rest easy … but even that is very likely not necessary.

Didn’t realize you live in VA. What part? I live 20-25 minutes west of Charlottesville.
My daughter lives in Charlottesville and has a business there. She,her husband and my granddaughter are all big UVA fans. I've been down a few times. Seems like a nice area.

I have YouTube TV, so I just added Sunday Ticket. The one thing I like about it on the YTTV app or YT vs installing the Sunday Ticket app through DirectTV is the fact that you can watch as many games on as many devices as you want. Definitely worth it.

I bought the Sunday ticket app.
I’ve had direc tv since I’ve been like 14 years old to watch the Pats games I’m 40
I’ve tried everything Buying subscriptions of the Sunday ticket on eBay but they are like stolen accounts and multiple people log in and knock you off.
Tried true iptv but the games buffer.
I stopped using a Satelite dish about 5 years ago price got crazy so I started using all kinds of methods to watch games as you can read.
But paid the 450 for the Sunday ticket.

Used to do Gamepass + VPN, but the switch to DAZN made that completely untenable. It's total garbage.

So now, I'm with most here and did the Sunday Ticket on YT since I'm out of the region.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back