Wage clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabwong

Vice President of Boycott NFL Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
When the media talks about someone earning X amount over X years, like $6.5m over 7 years for Blount, do they take into account playoff rewards or exclude them?

I don't think so because Butler has earned an additional $500K the last few season between playoff shares and the $5 million that gets distributed per team for players who outplay their contract by playing time or however they classify it....

I'm sure it depends on the source, but my guess is most of them just add signing bonus + salary and divide by the number of years.

The word "guaranteed" ought to be in there, but journalists have grown very sloppy of late. That to me would imply, as has been said, (bonus +salary)/years.

When the media talks about someone earning X amount over X years, like $6.5m over 7 years for Blount, do they take into account playoff rewards or exclude them?
It is my experience that they are only talking about the contract amount and not including playoff or pro-bowl payments. Incentives in the contract to make the pro bowl are counted, but not the $25,000 (or whatever) they get for playing in the game.

Unless they are specified as Likely To Be Earned Bonuses, then they are not included.
Money received from the NFL for play-off games is not part of any contract. It's also not subject to the Salary Cap.

No, playoff money and performance based pay is separate and does not count against the cap.

If you are talking about incentives then yes those are built into the contract and included in that number and against the cap assuming he reaches them. The difference between LTBE incentives and NLTBE incentives is just which year it counts against the cap if the incentive is reached. LTBE counts immediately and is given back the next year if the player does not reach it and NLTBE counts against next years cap if it is reached.

So how much would blount and Butler have made so far with all the playoff money. Not to mention all the endorsement deals.

Seem to remember in days past how after the Superbowl there would be discussion about how much players would earn after a SB appearance there was talk about "players share".. that seems to be less in vogue these days, probably because the salaries are inflated.

Each Pats Player made about $173,000K for this Superbowl run:
  • $27k for Divisional round
  • $49K for Championship round
  • $107K for Winning Superbowl.. btw losers earn $53K
Brady, Hightower, McCourty and Slater also receive an additional $45.5 K for earning spots in the Pro Bowl..

Seem to remember in days past how after the Superbowl there would be discussion about how much players would earn after a SB appearance there was talk about "players share".. that seems to be less in vogue these days, probably because the salaries are inflated.

Each Pats Player made about $173,000K for this Superbowl run:
  • $27k for Divisional round
  • $49K for Championship round
  • $107K for Winning Superbowl.. btw losers earn $53K
Brady, Hightower, McCourty and Slater also receive an additional $45.5 K for earning spots in the Pro Bowl..

I knew it was a small amount, but that kind of sucks. I mean between 3 games, that roughly works out to less than $1M over a 16-game season. The league has gotten like 2 extra seasons of Tom Brady games to show on TV for less than $2M.

Home teams don't get to keep any ticket revenue, as that's split between everyone, so they only get some money from the league to cover the player share and keep parking/concession revenues. The league makes pretty much the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes