PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings working out 5 year extension with Jefferson [possibly fake?]

"CeeDee" Lamb says hello.
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Great player, but I’m not going to try to list every one, it’s more to give an idea of what I consider elite, and yes, Lamb fits into that category.

The biggest impact I have seen a receiver have on a Super Bowl was Julian Edelman, against both Seattle and Atlanta, and he’s a slot receiver who made a fraction of these deals. And while you can want a WR over a QB all you want, they don’t win you championships, but quarterbacks do. And in the last two Super Bowls both the Eagles and the 49ers had the clear edge over the Chiefs at WR and the Chiefs won both of them. I wonder why?
I would include Terrel Owens on that list... He single handedly almost carried the 2004 eagles to the title. Guy was a beast.
Part of it with Ridley is that I just don’t believe in him. I would pay guys like Higgins 20 million, but I wouldn’t go up to 25-30, I think it’s just too much when you consider everything else you need for a great team.
The rub is this... If you have a QB on a cheap deal it benefits you to pay the types of guys you want around him (talent). While I believe Mac would have flamed out anyways, we did him no favors in the acquisition of talent

Last edited:
While I’m not certain about this my best guess as to the way GM’s manage their salary cap isn’t by individual player contracts, but by units. How much can they spend at QB, OL, DL etc… , so when you are giving on WR 30 million you then have to cut your costs at every other WR position. Same goes for each unit, the more you spend on one the less you can spend on others. So you have to prioritize things holistically before you start handing out the contracts, otherwise you will screw yourself.

If your team traded for and paid Jefferson you’d be looking like the Dolphins right now. Not good enough to win a single playoff game and likely getting worse before you get better.

They just let their single best defender in his prime in Christian Wilkins walk, two of their more productive LB’ers and cut their 4X pro bowl CB just to get under the salary cap. Their defense was ranked 16th last season, they can’t afford to be cutting their best defenders. Their offensive line is also weak.

Bottom line, the Tyreek trade was stupid. They could have used all those picks (1,2,4,4,6) to improve their team and the 120 million they’re paying him is strangling their ability to pay their best players. Now they have to pay Tua, when if they waited Tyreek might have hit free agency anyway.

You don’t trade for a free agent and then pay him, it’s bad business… you’ve paid twice. Draft a WR, draft three… the isn’t hard.

If your team traded for and paid Jefferson you’d be looking like the Dolphins right now. Not good enough to win a single playoff game and likely getting worse before you get better.

They just let their single best defender in his prime in Christian Wilkins walk, two of their more productive LB’ers and cut their 4X pro bowl CB just to get under the salary cap. Their defense was ranked 16th last season, they can’t afford to be cutting their best defenders. Their offensive line is also weak.

Bottom line, the Tyreek trade was stupid. They could have used all those picks (1,2,4,4,6) to improve their team and the 120 million they’re paying him is strangling their ability to pay their best players. Now they have to pay Tua, when if they waited Tyreek might have hit free agency anyway.

You don’t trade for a free agent and then pay him, it’s bad business… you’ve paid twice. Draft a WR, draft three… the isn’t hard.
On the flip side, imagine if the Pats had traded away all of their 1st and 2nd rounders after 2014.

And yes, I know that only works in hindsight after knowing how all of those picks were used, but it does present a scenario in which trading picks for established stars would have provided more (potentially waaay more) benefit to the team.

Just an interesting thought. Stream of consciousness style. So don't hold me accountable.

I saw one reporter speculated that would be the contract they would need to do, have not seen reports that the Vikings are actually doing it?

I thought they guaranteed the whole thing?
Nope. Only $52.5M which is the highest for all WR's. Jefferson would obliterate that at $75M.

Not surprised but surprised since they are good at drafting wide receivers

While I understand the concept you are getting at, “ he’s worth what they gave him,” I disagree with it. I see that more as, it is what it is( they gave him what they gave him,) but whether he was actually “ worth it” or not will depend upon how he plays. If he puts up 90 receptions and 1,300 yards and 12 TD ‘s he will be well worth that deal, but if he puts up 50 receptions, 700 yards, and 6 td’s, they will have overpaid him.

Overall I think WR’s are getting grossly overpaid.
Maybe so, but where would the cash go otherwise? They sure as **** aren't lowering ticket prices. So if the players don't get it, all that cash that's not paying players anymore goes straight to the billionaires.

Yes Brady showed us many times also Mahomes showed us twice but they are both Generation Talents. The odds of getting one of those are very slim to none that's my point.
Agree. Overpaying for that is what you do.

Maybe so, but where would the cash go otherwise? They sure as **** aren't lowering ticket prices. So if the players don't get it, all that cash that's not paying players anymore goes straight to the billionaires.

They need to be spending all the cash either way, and I would rather have it be done in as balanced a way as possible. If Cincy end up paying both Chase and Higgins then with Burrows they will be payin about 100 million a year, out of a 250 million cap to 3 guys, leaving 150 million for the other 50 players.

The money wouldn't go inti the owner's pocket if they refused to hugely overpay Jefferson. Perhaps they would use to money on a stud LT, a stud EDGE Rusher or even a CB.

@Bourne Again Christian where did you actually see this news? I've been waiting on final #s since last week and realized I have not actually seen this reported anywhere. Did you get duped by Facebook again?

Yes Brady showed us many times also Mahomes showed us twice but they are both Generation Talents. The odds of getting one of those are very slim to none that's my point.
Mahomes has never won a superbowl without a HOF receiving option. Outside of his first superbowl win Brady has had near HOF on the offense to help. 03 and 04 he had Corey Dillon and the Falcons game he Edelman.

You need Offensive talent to win, it doesn't always have to be a HOF Wr like talent, but look at every superbowl winner since the 2005 rule changes and see near HOF talent or better at a skill position on offense.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back