PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings working out 5 year extension with Jefferson [possibly fake?]

if the Vikes can land a rookie QB, pairing him with Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson will make the rookies life much, much easier. Vikings HC appears to be a very QB friendly coach. solid OL.

The cap is much higher now. You seem stuck in a time when the cap was 30% smaller.

I’m not stuck on a prior cap, I just see the values differently. I would pay more for an Aaron Donald than a Justin Jefferson, and I would pay more for a Trent Williams than a JaMarr Chase. Those guys are involved in every play in a way that WR’s simply aren’t, and imo they are more impactful. I would approach WR differently, I would use some high picks on them to get a #1, but I would take multiple WR’s in every draft because I think you can find really good ones all the way through the draft, as the Patriots did with Douglas last year. If they happen upon a Randy Moss I would pay them top dollar, but overall I wouldn’t be paying many of them over 20.

The history of free agent quarterbacks is not a very good one. For the most part teams will bend over backwards to keep their quarterbacks so the guys who hit F A are the ones who won't reach a deal with their teams for varying reasons. Many of those reasons are distinctly unflattering. Occasionally you just find a guy who thinks he can go longer than his team thinks he can go, or wants to cash in after years of team friendly contracts like with Brady. Mostly though what you find in FA is not going to be attractive because there's going to be a reason the previous team let 'em walk.
I wasn't referring to FA QBs. It's a general statement.

I wouldn’t have paid Ridley 22 million, I don’t think he’s worth more than 12-13 a year. Overall I think WR’s are getting grossly overpaid. And I think using that much cap space for pretty much any position other than QB doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are exceptions of course, and I can see people seeing Jefferson as just that, but I don’t. Especially for a team that doesn’t look like a contender over the next couple of seasons.
If Ridley isn't worth more than $13M to us, then we need to get used to not having a top/elite WR, unless we are very lucky with a draftee.

The cap is much higher now. You seem stuck in a time when the cap was 30% smaller.
So you're saying that Ridley would have been worth $17M and now with a 30% higher cap he is worth $22M (the same percentage of the cap)?

I’m not stuck on a prior cap, I just see the values differently. I would pay more for an Aaron Donald than a Justin Jefferson, and I would pay more for a Trent Williams than a JaMarr Chase. Those guys are involved in every play in a way that WR’s simply aren’t, and imo they are more impactful. I would approach WR differently, I would use some high picks on them to get a #1, but I would take multiple WR’s in every draft because I think you can find really good ones all the way through the draft, as the Patriots did with Douglas last year. If they happen upon a Randy Moss I would pay them top dollar, but overall I wouldn’t be paying many of them over 20.
While I agree with you that a top end LT or DE are more important, top WRs have shown they have a significant impact on team and QB performance.

$30MM may be a bit rich for an elite WR, it is not for a special 24 year old WR. I would rather pay that than $22MM for Ridley. Landing elite WRs in draft is not easy which is why their contracts are such. This fanbase has been conditioned to think QBs can elevate WRs when that is actually very rare. Douglas is never going to be a WR1 so not sure how that matters to this conversation.

Aaron got his deal in his 30s. Next special DE that gets signed to second contract will be way higher than 30.

So you're saying that Ridley would have been worth $17M and now with a 30% higher cap he is worth $22M (the same percentage of the cap)?
Yes in terms of numbers. I would not have paid it because of his history and the risk that comes with it but $25MM or so for an elite WR1 is worth it.

It is not just a matter of cap increasing, there has also been a shift in positional value. A portion that used to go to RBs now goes to WRs and TEs.

Vikings working out 5 year 150 million deal with Jefferson with 75 million fully guaranteed.
"CeeDee" Lamb is going be close to that ball park. Wish our old guard valued the position. :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t have paid Ridley 22 million, I don’t think he’s worth more than 12-13 a year. Overall I think WR’s are getting grossly overpaid. And I think using that much cap space for pretty much any position other than QB doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are exceptions of course, and I can see people seeing Jefferson as just that, but I don’t. Especially for a team that doesn’t look like a contender over the next couple of seasons.
You are undervaluing Calvin Ridley just hope we get Two really good WR's from this upcoming Draft WR is a Premium Position like it or not. WR is then Next position after QB on Offense yeah I know most Patsfans are going disagree but the league agrees. :) And you'll know I would take a WR over a QB 24/7 but that's just me. :)

Smart move. He's been very instrumental in his team's overall success. How many teams can claim they made the playoffs? His 7rec / 47yds / 0TD in his only playoff appearance (loss) in 4 seasons against the Giants will go down as one of the greatest playoff performances of all time. Imho, it's better than Bourne's lone playoff appearance with the Pats (also a loss) where he got 7rec / 77yds / 2TD.

If Ridley isn't worth more than $13M to us, then we need to get used to not having a top/elite WR, unless we are very lucky with a draftee.

I don’t consider Ridley elite by any means. Jefferson, Chase , Kupp, Diggs etc… are elite. Ridley is a 2 imo.

I don’t consider Ridley elite by any means. Jefferson, Chase , Kupp, Diggs etc… are elite. Ridley is a 2 imo.
"CeeDee" Lamb says hello.
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

I never bought into the rumors/wishful thinking that Minnesota would trade Jefferson.

Why would they trade up to obtain a good QB - and then trade their best WR away? That makes no sense.

If the Vikings were a team in shambles, devoid of talent and in full rebuild mode - then sure, trade away your best player in order to help upgrade multiple other positions. But that is not the case with Minnesota's roster. All they need is at minimum a middle of the road, competent QB to be a playoff team.
I do agree that they were not going to trade Jefferson... But man you have to wonder what they are doing... Let cousins leave, got rid of hunter among other less notable losses... Those are some big chips to replace...

12 to 13 is too low... He has talent and has, outside the gambling faux pas, has delivered... I don't think he's an elite receiver, but he is very good... 18m would have been a reasonable amount, 22/23m is an over pay... But he's worth what the highest bidder pays him...

And those are not easy to find it's either one or the other.
You can win SBs with a Tier 2 WR corp if you have an elite QB and a very good D

You can win SBs with a Tier 2 WR corp if you have an elite QB and a very good D
Yes Brady showed us many times also Mahomes showed us twice but they are both Generation Talents. The odds of getting one of those are very slim to none that's my point.

Yes Brady showed us many times also Mahomes showed us twice but they are both Generation Talents. The odds of getting one of those are very slim to none that's my point.
You draft QB’s as high as possible if you don’t have one. Fact.

You are undervaluing Calvin Ridley just hope we get Two really good WR's from this upcoming Draft WR is a Premium Position like it or not. WR is then Next position after QB on Offense yeah I know most Patsfans are going disagree but the league agrees. :) And you'll know I would take a WR over a QB 24/7 but that's just me. :)

The biggest impact I have seen a receiver have on a Super Bowl was Julian Edelman, against both Seattle and Atlanta, and he’s a slot receiver who made a fraction of these deals. And while you can want a WR over a QB all you want, they don’t win you championships, but quarterbacks do. And in the last two Super Bowls both the Eagles and the 49ers had the clear edge over the Chiefs at WR and the Chiefs won both of them. I wonder why?
12 to 13 is too low... He has talent and has, outside the gambling faux pas, has delivered... I don't think he's an elite receiver, but he is very good... 18m would have been a reasonable amount, 22/23m is an over pay... But he's worth what the highest bidder pays him...

Part of it with Ridley is that I just don’t believe in him. I would pay guys like Higgins 20 million, but I wouldn’t go up to 25-30, I think it’s just too much when you consider everything else you need for a great team.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back