PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very sad news: RIP Joker

I was wondering why @Joker (alias "Joe Kerr") hadn't posted in a while, especially in the "Jets Suck" thread after Aaron Rodgers went down. (Folks here will remember Joker was fond of calling him "Discount Double Dork.") After leaving phone messages followed by some Internet searching tonight it didn't take long to discover the sad news he has passed on. He was only 72.

I considered Jeff a friend, we attended several Patriots games together. We last spoke briefly by phone in early August; he was coughing and complained of symptoms from long-Covid. I had no idea how serious it was as he'd been in and out of treatment several years for respiratory issues. He once told me, "My doctor said, 'You're fat! You need to walk every day whether you want to or not!'" Whenever I checked in with him he assured me he was taking walks and doing well.

Naturally, "J.O." liked to eat and the times we tailgated he'd always volunteer, "I'll bring shrimp!" He frequented a gourmet deli near his Rhode Island home that stocked the biggest shrimp obtainable. What a guy he was -- tall, heavy set, usually laughing and/or ranting a purple streak about someone or something. His rants smacked of manic stand-up comedy and invariably had me in stitches.

Like me he had abidingly "old-school" perspectives on sports and of course, loved the Patriots. We saw eye-to-eye on most things, including enmity for the despicable Jete. He was convinced Roger Goodell is a criminal and even did research on it. A few years ago -- I think it was during the pandemic -- I took time off from posting during a down period with little energy or enthusiasm for mustering another "Jets Suck" annual thread kickoff. In an uncharacteristically kind and gentle way, Jeff phoned me a couple times to share how much the thread meant to him and a few other diehards. Without his persistent nudges it probably would have ended then and there.

Jeff was one of a kind, at least to me. He attended the original Woodstock festival, graduated from Boston University, played guitar, never married but loved the ladies and lived alone in a mobile home with his pet cat. He was widely traveled.

Whenever someone passes on, the usual sentiment is "RIP" -- rest in peace. I never have liked that. I prefer to think our souls are on a continuum, the next plane of existence brimming with love, exuberance, fellowship and adventure, free of physical pain or limitation. So have fun up there, J.O. Jeffy. And remember to save us some shrimp!

Really sorry to hear this, I had no idea he was sick. RIP Joker.

Just seeing this now.

Man... this one's tough. I always considered him one of the core members of this forum. He was a big part of what made this forum so great over the years. His absence will leave an empty hole here. I'll miss his uniqueness as a poster. Never failed to bring a smile to your face.

RIP, Joker.

Definitely one of the guys you think of when you think of Pats Fans. It cracked me up to read his crazy rants one day, and then see something he would post in the cooking thread sounding like Julia Child

See you at the after game tailgate brother

A couple of years ago during Covid, @Joker was MIA for a few weeks and I tried to look up his info online (his name was listed under member info) and checked the obits. That’s how much I liked that guy.

Years ago during my 1st week or 2 here on this site, I made the galactically moronic mistake of calling out Joker for being wrong when I was, in fact, the one who was mistaken. The next level creativity by which he absolutely roasted me for it was truly very entertaining. It was almost like a badge of honor whenever he liked any of my posts. Very sorry to hear about his passing.

This is very sad news and a huge blow to this community. I hope you found peace, Joker. Hopefully we can all continue to honor him by unleashing some explicit tirades against all things NFL management whenever possible. When I think of him, I picture Billy Walsh calling E a suit sellout and going off the rails.

Very sad. Never met him, only exchanged a couple of PMs to try to make sense of Bill's personnel moves; but dam I would've loved to watch a game with him, have some cold ones, and if he were so inclined share a spliff with him too while at the same time listen to his rolling commentary... That would've been sweet.

Don't know why this one stings so much; I'm sure other posters have left us over the last 20 years, and apologies for not recognizing their passing similarly... I'm less than 10 years younger than Joe, and I guess it's the knowledge that my own mortality beckons that's hitting me now...

I hope there's indeed an afterlife, so that people like Joe & my parents & all my aunts & uncles have somewhere to enjoy each other's company in peace & love... I know I wouldn't be going there myself, I'm resigned to that; just knowing there's such a place for them is good enough for me.

Never, Ever stop telling people how much you care for them, because Time is an unforgiving, merciless Thief and could take them from you in a blink of an eye.

Pardon me while I go outside now, take a few hits, and think about Life...

Just saw this.. talk about a kick in the gut. Joker was one of a kind. Gonna miss his "No nonsense" takes.

RIP. You were one of a kind..

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back