PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very Interesting: Belichick's history with Jermaine Cunningham

That pisses me off even more, epic whiff to take Cunningham over Dunlap. Think of the difference an impact player makes on an entire defense. 3.5 sacks, yuck, makes me sick to my stomach.

:confused:

Cunningham is not on the team because the Belichick method of drafting produces extra picks every year.

That produced Chandler Jones.

When you have extra high picks every year with a constant roster quantity......more high picks will be "busts".

It's a mathematical certainty.

:confused:

Cunningham is not on the team because the Belichick method of drafting produces extra picks every year.

That produced Chandler Jones.

When you have extra high picks every year with a constant roster quantity......more high picks will be "busts".

It's a mathematical certainty.

How dare you say we can't get HOFers with every pick? :mad:

Yep. We're doing so bad with Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich there.

Newsflash for you and others. If the Pats took Dunlap, it's unlikely they draft Jones and Hightower..

Why?

Jones, Hightower, and Nickovich are all clearly better than Dunlop just like they are all clearly better than Cunningham.

The Dunlop legend on patsfans.com is only based on the fact that a bunch of idiots on patsfans.com vastly overrate him

That's the beauty of having extra picks every year.

That's why the "Belichick can't draft in the 2nd round" concept is so completely stupid. From 2009-2012 (standard 4 picks), the 2nd round has produced Vollmer, Gronk, Spikes, Vereen....yet somehow Belickick can't pick in the second round.

Any team that acquires extra high picks AND excels with UDFA signings will always jettison more higher picks. The Patriots don't get extra roster spots because they acquire extra picks.

Why?

Jones, Hightower, and Nickovich are all clearly better than Dunlop just like they are all clearly better than Cunningham.

The Dunlop legend on patsfans.com is only based on the fact that a bunch of idiots on patsfans.com vastly overrate him

That's the beauty of having extra picks every year.

That's why the "Belichick can't draft in the 2nd round" concept is so completely stupid. From 2009-2012 (standard 4 picks), the 2nd round has produced Vollmer, Gronk, Spikes, Vereen....yet somehow Belickick can't pick in the second round.

Any team that acquires extra high picks AND excels with UDFA signings will always jettison more higher picks. The Patriots don't get extra roster spots because they acquire extra picks.

Meanwhile, the Jets are still trying to make Vlad Ducasse a starter.

BB definitely has a big problem in the second round. How about these second rounders (in 2009):
Patsy Chung
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Then there is a class pick of Brandon Tate pick instead of Wallace in round 3. That whiff probably cost the Patriots a few post season victories...

2008: Wheatley
2007: Mercifully they did not have a second round pick
2006: The unforgettable Chad Jackson

Were all the guys you mentioned out of the league without ever having contributed, having the four I listed - two pro-bowlers, Vereen and Spikes - STILL makes the second round picks a win for this team.

Chung will start for the Eagles this year.
Butler is playing pretty well actually.
Brandon Tate has become a return guy.

And Wallace would have been Ochostinko in this offense - the guy can't run a route to save his ass, and the only reason he got the big $$$ is because Big Ben extends plays more than anyone in the league and let him freelance around the DBs.

You guys act as if every second round is the same - some draft classes are deep, others are not. You also act as if every kid coming out of college will stay healthy.

BB knows the odds of getting a contributor, so he's willing to roll the dice on health issues or when he sees something that might work out.

"He could have got Wilson in the seventh round!"

Well, if that's the case, why did Buchanon make it to the 7th? Or Sudfeld and Thompkins not get drafted? Because, for all the scouting and measurable and "experts," it's a crap shoot, that's why.

What are we saying, our future HOF coach and possibly the greatest coach eva should not be buying groceries in the second round? Also, shouldn't Mel Kiper be getting a buzz cut (Clauson)?

BB definitely has a big problem in the second round. How about these second rounders (in 2009):
Patsy Chung
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Then there is a class pick of Brandon Tate pick instead of Wallace in round 3. That whiff probably cost the Patriots a few post season victories...

2008: Wheatley
2007: Mercifully they did not have a second round pick
2006: The unforgettable Chad Jackson

Yeah

Looks like someone took a huge beating from the stupid stick.

From 2009-2012 the standard NFL franchise had four 2nd round picks.

In that time frame, the Patriots obtained from the 2nd:

Best right tackle in the NFL

Best tight end in the NFL (maybe best all around skill player in the NFL)

Starting MLB

Dynamic 3rd RB

..................so let's conclude there is a problem.:confused:

:confused:.......................:confused:..................

In the past four years.....what 2nd round history has been more productive?

Actually, the Mike Wallace comment was a dead giveaway. If it wasn't for Carlos Dunlap, Mike Wallace would hold the crown for most overrated by patsfan.com.

Re falling in love with Cunningham's college tape...perhaps it's a case study of a bigger issue: valuing college productivity over measurables in DE/OLBs. It just doesn't work.

Larry English. Brandon Graham. Everette Browne. Great productivity, blah measurables.

Jean Pierre-Paul. Chandler Jones. Clay Matthews. Great measurables, blah productivity.

Cunningham simply wasn't an explosive athlete, which doesn't bode well for a 2nd-round DE/OLB. But here's where it gets interesting. SINCE Cunningham, they've drafted Jones and Collins, probably the two most explosive pure athletes drafted in BB's tenure here. That's not to say those two will end up being the next Pierre-Paul and Matthews, but it is a sign that the Patriots may be adjusting their draft philosophy.

It was a bad pick, from day one I was mad how we passed right over Dunlap, and look where we're at now. :bricks:

39-9 since that pick, 3 division titles, 3-3 record in the play-offs, one trip to the Super Bowl. Terrible, especially compared to those crafty Bengals, who totally swindled us.

They're 23-25, made the play-offs twice as wildcards, losing both times.

It's one draft pick. Calm the **** down. :bricks:

I wouldn't have taken Dunlap either, for the aforementioned scheme non-fit (at that time),
and for his off-field issues.

Sean Lee would not have been the nearly 2-round reach that Cunnyham was; he was considered
more of a top-80 guy than a top-60 guy. But my choice at that time was WR Golden Tate,
who I maintain would've been a perfect fit here.

I find it ridiculous when people cherry-pick on draft picks. I can think of one particular draft where 198 stupid picks were made, and every team was guilty multiple times. But that's a part of the game.

Sure, a health risk like Lee might have been worth taking. But we're not the only organization to pass. Don't forget the world champion Baltimore Ravens took Sergio Kindle ahead of Lee as well.

And what exactly are we saying about Cincinnati here? That they're brilliant because they got a pick right and we didn't? Don't forget they also drafted Jermaine Gresham instead of Gronk or Jimmy Graham (or Aaron Hernandez, who we now know would have been the perfect Bengal). They drafted Jordan Shipley and Brandon Ghee ahead of the incredible Geno Atkins. They miss picks too, and sometimes they get lucky too. It's a part of the draft.

Dunlap is a stud. Cunningham is a bust.

Kind of discouraging considering how much time BB spent watching those guys in Florida.

Is Dunlap a stud? Over the past 3 years: 20 sacks.

Rob Ninkovich during the same period: 18.5 sacks.

Maybe not the most fair comparison since Ninko played a lot of LB as well. But I don't think anyone is proclaiming Ninko as anywhere close to stud status. Neither are these guys, who have put up similar (or better) production to Dunlap.

Andre Carter during the same period while coming back from an injury: 15 sacks.

Chris Clemons, an older player whose contract was about half of Dunlap's: 33.5 sacks.

Shaun Phillips, who got cut after 9.5 sacks last season: 24 sacks.

Cliff Avril, a player entering his prime whose contract is 1/3 of Dunlap's: 29 sacks.

You want to talk about studs over the past 3 seasons, let's talk about guys like:

DeMarcus Ware: 46.5 sacks
Jared Allen: 45 sacks
Tamba Hali: 35.5 sacks
Aldon Smith: 33.5 sacks in only 2 seasons
Clay Matthews: 32.5 sacks
Von Miller: 30 sacks in only 2 seasons
Julius Peppers: 30.5 sacks
J.J. Watt: 26 sacks in only 2 seasons.

There's a group of guys who we can debate about being a "stud" or not, are old or over-rated or effort guys, but produce more than Dunlap:

Charles Johnson: 33 sacks
Chris Long: 33 sacks
John Abraham: 32.5 sacks

There's a bunch of other guys I'd rather have than Dunlap.

The point is, he's not a stud.

Did he turn out better than Cunningham? Yes.

Does that mean the Bengals are better than we are? No.

Does that mean we're the worst-run franchise in the history of the NFL? No.

Yeah, there are a few players I'd want instead of Cunningham like a Sean Lee or Carlos Dunlap or Geno Atkins. There are players I'd rather have than Taylor Price too. Just as there are players the Bengals would rather have than Jordan Shipley like Eric Decker or Mike Williams or Antonio Brown.

If all you ever look at are Tom Brady's interceptions, you would wrongfully conclude that Tom Brady is the worst QB to ever play football. Perspective is not only helpful, but absolutely essential to reach any meaningful conclusions.

I always thought that Cunningham was a special one but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.

IMHO, Cunningham would have been more valuable to the team than any of our current backups. He was useful as a DT in sub packages. He started (and did OK) at DE when Ninkovich had start at LB because of injury. In addition, Cunningham was listed as a LB last year, since he was an emergency LB.

I think that Belichick wanted to keep Cunningham on the 53. However, the reality is that he is injured and we have no clue when he would be available.

I suspect that we will sign an injury settlement with him and sign him later in the season if he recovers.

Yep, pretty much how I see it

Meanwhile, the Jets are still trying to make Vlad Ducasse a starter.

He is on that same Jester all star team with Gholston, Coupels, Kyle, and Sanchize...

It was a bad pick, from day one I was mad how we passed right over Dunlap, and look where we're at now. :bricks:

The Cunningham pick was probably a mistake (lots of the draft enthusiasts here hated it from day one), but not because of Dunlap. Dunlap sucks too.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back