PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unnecessary Roughness

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It's being called all over today. Very little tolerance for any extracurricular contact. It's fairly obvious that it has been emphasized to officials.

It is what it is and fans will be fans and have different reactions whether it's too whimpy or whatever, but the bottom line is that smart teams and players are going to have to adjust, because I think the precedent is being set.

It's being called all over today. Very little tolerance for any extracurricular contact. It's fairly obvious that it has been emphasized to officials.

It is what it is and fans will be fans and have different reactions whether it's too whimpy or whatever, but the bottom line is that smart teams and players are going to have to adjust, because I think the precedent is being set.

Good thing Goldson got paid because he's going to be paying Rodney-like fines. He was dropping the boom stick on the Jets all day.

The thing that pisses me off the most are these 'running qb's' who get over near the sidelines and can pick up free yards because even if their foot hasn't come down out of bounds you still can't breathe on them.

Doesn't excuse the stupidity on T-Bay's part but Gino did that 'sneak' a few yards in for a 1st down earlier in the game.

And of course the one personal foul that didn't get called all day was a Jet getting to body-slam a guy.

I thought the calls on Dennard and Mayo were absurd, but I understand where it's coming from. If this means the Ratbirds and their ilk get punished for their deliberate dirty play, I'm all for it. I have confidence the Patriots will be properly disciplined by the Dark Lord. If you see a guy on the sidelines who just got flagged clutching at his throat for no reason, you'll know why.

Mayo and Dennard should have been penalized. Dumbass moves from both of them.

2jbvbio.jpg

Geno was in bounds

I don't remember Dennard's now, but while it was a dumbass move by Mayo, it's also a weak penalty call. The NFL is trying to look like it's acting to curb concussions and other player injuries but these are bandaids, and that's being generous.

I agree on Mayo, but I thought it looked more like the receiver fell backwards over Dennard while he was laying on his back. I didn't agree with that one at all.

I agree on Mayo, but I thought it looked more like the receiver fell backwards over Dennard while he was laying on his back. I didn't agree with that one at all.

The receiver was falling on his own, but Dennard definitely (IMHO) put his hands on the receiver and torqued him down as he was falling.

2jbvbio.jpg

Geno was in bounds

Watched it live after the Pats game, it was clearly late and extremely stupid. This wasn't a situation that was going to turn into Todd Collins letting up on Kordell for Kordell to run further down the sidelines moment, he was clearly out of bounds and the TB player gave another shove.

It was a really dumb thing that cost the game but I couldn't help but to feel bad for the kid when they showed him crying on the sidelines.

2jbvbio.jpg

Geno was in bounds

+1.
QBs, not Tom brady not P Manning not Geno Smith not any QB, should be that off limits. It makes the defender have to pull up when the play is still live simply because the QB may become slightly out of bounds. It's just wrong. There is no way, none, zero that play should be a penalty. At minimum the rule should be the QB has one foot fully out of bounds and the other foot is no longer touching the field of play before he can't be given a minor shove (and make it reviewable).

They already allow the QB the incredible protection of the slide (among several other protections). Give me an F'n break with a call like this. QBs already know to give up a few yards to protect themselves and slide. They should also have to give a few yards on the sidelines too, to also protect themselves (by getting out of bounds a second sooner).

Watched it live after the Pats game, it was clearly late and extremely stupid. This wasn't a situation that was going to turn into Todd Collins letting up on Kordell for Kordell to run further down the sidelines moment, he was clearly out of bounds and the TB player gave another shove.

It was a really dumb thing that cost the game but I couldn't help but to feel bad for the kid when they showed him crying on the sidelines.

Football: A defender(s) goes balls to the wall toward a ball carrier (in this case Geno) using the optimum angle of attack to either tackle/bring down the ball carrier or force the ball carrier out of bounds. Either action is meant to limit the gain of yardage as much as absolutely possible.
Football???: A defender goes balls to the wall to tackle the ball carrier/limit the gain of yardage as much as possible, meets the ball carrier in the field of play, hits/pushes the ball carrier out of bounds, defender didn't lead with his helmet spear or hit low or attempt to drive Geno into the ground or tackle in a vicious manner, result is a 15 yard penalty (a penalty that really should be called "unnecessary playing of football".

Look, given the situation the defender would have been most wise to pull up a bit and not given Geno the full extension of the push. While it puts the defender in an unfair position to be able to make that kind of split split second change to their motion/inertia, nevertheless that full extension of the shove made the play look on the excessive side. The look of a play is sometimes all it takes to draw a penalty. But calling that "extremely" dumb as well as "clearly" late is just wrong, it's clearly exaggerating......and it ain't good football.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back