PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFAs beat 1st+2nd rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This stat is both unbelievable and encouraging.
And heartwarming if your thing are the underdogs.

(I wonder if they're crediting Bill for the trend)

I have not fact checked his but do typical Undrafted Free Agents spend their full allotted time on the practice squad while high draft picks are expected to play immediately?

To be fair, there's a lot more UDFAs signed after a draft than 1st+2nd rounders. There's a very small number of high picks by nature.

True. But High picks are supposed to stay, UDFAs are still seen by some as “cannon fodder“.

Ironically Patriots acquired more fromer 1st and 2nds to the roster+PS than UDFAs.
Seems like going against the flow again. Not giving up on high picks too soon (especially others).

I have not fact checked his but do typical Undrafted Free Agents spend their full allotted time on the practice squad while high draft picks are expected to play immediately?

Well, we have pretty UDFA starting offense here with Lewis, Blount, Amendola, Hogan, Develin, Andrews, Kline with low picked Brady and Edelman to lead them.

Then we have Butler, Coleman, Ryan Allen plus significant rotational/ST players in - Freeny, A Johnson, Bolden, King, DJ Foster, J Jones, Waddle.

Not bad for the guys who's hopes are crashed momentarily when they dont hear thier names on draft days.

Here's a look at another top contender Seattle (and this is just for the 53 roster):

Seattle's scouting dept and coaching ( Carroll ) are evidently very good at their jobs....

If that's true then that means every first or second round pick for the last nearly 8 years is still on a team roster. The are only 64 first and second rounders every year so for there to be 480 on rosters, do the math...That seems alfully high.. The UDFA number seems right...

2016 8th round roundup - Great Blue North Draft Report

By the numbers: how the ‘8th round of the 2016 draft’ fared … NFL teams continue to tinker with their rosters in anticipation of this week’s regular season openers, but the early returns suggest that 2016 draft was also a pretty good one for players who went undrafted this past spring. Indeed, as of Saturday’s 53-man roster deadline, 69 undrafted rookie free agents were still on an NFL roster. That’s over 20% greater than the figure the previous year when 57 undrafted rookies made an opening day roster. Indeed, like the data on draft picks making a roster this year, the number of undrafted rookies making their respective team’s opening day roster this year is one of the highest in history. In comparison, back in the latter part of the last decade, for example, the number of rookie agents making an opening day roster was seldom over 40.

As well, the majority of teams kept at least one undrafted rookie at this year’s deadline. Indeed, 25 of the 32 teams kept at least one undrafted rookie agent. In fact, more than half (19) the teams in the league still have two or more undrafted rookies on the roster. Seattle led the way with with 6 undrafted rookie free agents on the roster, including former TCU QB Trevone Boykin. Meanwhile, San Diego, Green Bay and Indianapolis each kept 5 undrafted rookies, while Los Angeles, New Orleans, Oakland, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay each have 4. Here’s the full, updated list of undrafted rookie free agents by team.​

There is a greater pool of players to be drawn from and typically UFAs have more roster flexibility, aren't as specialized and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Well, we have pretty UDFA starting offense here with Lewis, Blount, Amendola, Hogan, Develin, Andrews, Kline with low picked Brady and Edelman to lead them.

Then we have Butler, Coleman, Ryan Allen plus significant rotational/ST players in - Freeny, A Johnson, Bolden, King, DJ Foster, J Jones, Waddle

While your point is well taken, Lewis was a 5th round pick of the Eagles.

It's called salary cap management ............

To be fair, there's a lot more UDFAs signed after a draft than 1st+2nd rounders. There's a very small number of high picks by nature.
Agreed. What's the percent of the total number of 1st and 2nd rounders who become starters compared to the percent of the total number of UFA's who become starters? That would be a more useful statistic and its probably not that close.

Agreed. What's the percent of the total number of 1st and 2nd rounders who become starters compared to the percent of the total number of UFA's who become starters? That would be a more useful statistic and its probably not that close.

I don't know how useful that would be actually. I mean, the two really shouldn't be compared at all.

One is a limited asset while the other isn't. One is a considerable investment while the other is a numbers game.

Both are valuable for different reasons.

I don't think Schefter is claiming UDFAs are as valuable as top picks. I think it was meant as an acknowledgement that UDFAs are valuable in their own way, something that often gets overlooked by casual fans with a "Who cares?" mentality after the first few days of the draft are over.

I hate the whole draft thing and the hype leading up to it, Mel Kyper and his perfect hair in his droll voice going on and on about **** that no one cares about and most do not understand.. then there are projected 7 round drafts(really??).. immediately after the draft they post their prognostications for next year.

UDFA's are my binky, as long as I can remember these are the guys who do prove all those millionaires who make money off of guessing wrong.. Will take the Bolden's. BJGE's, Butler's, Develin's and the rest of the crew over some prima donna coming out of some football factory who has been coddled and told how wonderful he is for 4 years..

Udfa's are the ultimate Horatio Alger story. Just proof that anyone can succeed (relatively) if they try.

I admire Pete's success in SEA but my god I hated him with a passion here.
With his strong reputation now for scouting and coaching up cornerbacks, it's puzzling that he drafted Chris Canty in the first round when he was here in New England

With his strong reputation now for scouting and coaching up cornerbacks, it's puzzling that he drafted Chris Canty in the first round when he was here in New England

It wasn't him. It was Notorious BIG (Bobby Incompetent Grier)

Grier had no f-ing idea what he was doing in the draft or FA. Canty, Chris Carter who was soft as ****. T-Buck as CB, FA Steve "Beth" Israel, Tony George who BB cut in about 6 minutes into camp. Awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back