PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyler Gaffney waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis' 2017 cap hit is $1.49M. In 2016, Blount and White combined hit the cap for only $1.72M. So, "pittance" is a relative thing.

I've not been all that impressed with his performance and contributions. I'm not saying that he's "bad", just that I think he's vulnerable to competition in Camp for his roster spot.
In 2015, what was your assessment of Lewis in the 7 games before he was injured?

In 2015, what was your assessment of Lewis in the 7 games before he was injured?

Exciting to watch and certainly picked up some yards that no other RB on the roster at the time would likely have gotten.

Again, I'm not saying that he's never been impressive. But, standing back and looking at his overall body of work for the Pats, I don't think it's been impressive enough that he's a "lock" for the 2017 53-man or that he isn't vulnerable to competition in Camp. If such competition doesn't materialize, then he may be a "lock" for me, but not before I see what happens.

In any given year, there may be only 30-35 guys from the previous year's Pats roster who can reasonably be considered "locks" for the next roster. Several of my own favorite players may be vulnerable to Camp competition this year, including Nink, Elandon Roberts and Amendola. Just trying to be realistic about the roster-building process.

Exciting to watch and certainly picked up some yards that no other RB on the roster at the time would likely have gotten.

Again, I'm not saying that he's never been impressive. But, standing back and looking at his overall body of work for the Pats, I don't think it's been impressive enough that he's a "lock" for the 2017 53-man or that he isn't vulnerable to competition in Camp. If such competition doesn't materialize, then he may be a "lock" for me, but not before I see what happens.

In any given year, there may be only 30-35 guys from the previous year's Pats roster who can reasonably be considered "locks" for the next roster. Several of my own favorite players may be vulnerable to Camp competition this year, including Nink, Elandon Roberts and Amendola. Just trying to be realistic about the roster-building process.

You said you have not been all that impressed with his performance and contributions. If you want to retract that statement, then fine.

We disagree on this. A 100% healthy Lewis is a lock. If you don't think so- for whatever reason injury, etc that is fine

There is no way Elandon Roberts is on the bubble. He stepped right in and made many big plays. If you go back and look at it if he did not make that tackle on Freeman in the Super Bowl he might have gone all the way.

You said you have not been all that impressed with his performance and contributions. If you want to retract that statement, then fine.

We disagree on this. A 100% healthy Lewis is a lock. If you don't think so- for whatever reason injury, etc that is fine

I'm not retracting anything. I have not been "all that impressed" with Lewis to be certain that he's a "lock" for the 53-man. I think I've been pretty consistent about that. I'm sorry if you're reading a different meaning into that. I honestly don't know how to make myself more clear.

"A 100% healthy Lewis" is part of my evaluation of him. To fail to take this into consideration is to fail to be realistic about how the Pats may or may not value him going forward.

giphy.gif

There is no way Elandon Roberts is on the bubble. He stepped right in and made many big plays. If you go back and look at it if he did not make that tackle on Freeman in the Super Bowl he might have gone all the way.

It seems to me that the difference here is that I make every effort to avoid viewing things as either black or white. Every player on the roster has his great points and his deficiencies. The Pat schemes and rotations have been very successful in optimizing each player's great points while limiting exposure of his deficiencies.

Roberts has his deficiencies as well as great strengths. Big plays only demonstrate the great strengths. It's all the other "little" plays where deficiencies most often show up.

Roberts may well make significant progress in improving his deficiencies over the next five months. But he may not. There's also a possibility, slim as it may seem right now, that he regresses. It's not as if that hasn't happened to 2nd-year Pats players ever before.

The point is that we don't know. At least, I don't know because I seem to lack the crystal ball that others appear to possess.

Also, for me, being "on the bubble" isn't purely a black-or-white thing. There are degrees - and context. Given the context of the current LB roster, it does seem unlikely that Roberts fails to make the 53 (unless he regresses).

However, the purpose of the off-season (FA and the draft) is to attempt to make personnel upgrades. And I don't know all of what that will include yet. It's not inconceivable to be that, if Roberts doesn't progress, he may lose significant defensive snaps to someone else who's not yet on the roster (or even to someone who already is).

The bottom line for me is that years of deep-diving into the off-season roster-building process has taught me that "locks" and guarantees aren't nearly as extensive as most fans believe.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes