PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two playoff games were decided by the refs, can we give the Pats a hand for overcoming them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSPF

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
While the Patriots fooled the Ravens' defense, "Jump Ball Joe" was at it again fooling the referees with some very, very questionable PI calls. Meanwhile, going the other direction blatant contact was ignored, most notable on one play a Ravens' player grabbing both of Gronk's arm, preventing him from catching the ball. "I guess the refs thought he should of caught it anyway." If the Pats lost, the officiating would have surely been the talk of the town around here once again, with the Goodell apologists/former referees/Ravens fans saying "A championship team would have overcome the referees and won the game anyway." Well boys, this looks like a championship team!

Gronk's arms was a blatant bad non call. Nothing else you mentioned was. the pass interference calls were legit, if ticky tacky on Revis.

This seducing someone into pass interference stuff is just silly. Turn, look for the ball, make the interception. They might have called an offensive pass interference on Smith, but that's rarely called.

If I was an opposing coach, I would love for the QB to throw a lot of jump balls. McCourty knew what to do with one.

If I was an opposing coach, I would love for the QB to throw a lot of jump balls. McCourty knew what to do with one.
Well, Jump Ball Joe did throw a few too many in the end!

While the Patriots fooled the Ravens' defense, "Jump Ball Joe" was at it again fooling the referees with some very, very questionable PI calls. Meanwhile, going the other direction blatant contact was ignored, most notable on one play a Ravens' player grabbing both of Gronk's arm, preventing him from catching the ball. "I guess the refs thought he should of caught it anyway." If the Pats lost, the officiating would have surely been the talk of the town around here once again, with the Goodell apologists/former referees/Ravens fans saying "A championship team would have overcome the referees and won the game anyway." Well boys, this looks like a championship team!

I felt the pass interference on Revis was BS. The PI on Browner with Torrey Smith was legit though. You couldn't really have played a more perfect route than what Revis did on Smith Sr. Not to mention Smith Sr pushed off Revis and threw himself out of bounds in your classic soccer style. But it was good to see the Pats overcome a game that was slanted pretty heavily in the Ravens favor as far as the calls were concerned. After watching that game, I feel like we can beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. I don't think Green Bay is going to go into their house and win.

On a neutral field, I feel like Wilson is going to give us fits, as we will play contain and he will have all day to throw. But at the same time, I don't feel like his receiving corps is as good as it was when we played them the last time. So I feel like we have the secondary to match up with them. Russell Wilson didn't have a great year. He threw 20 TD's vs 7 interceptions. He was #15 in yards. Where the Seahawks could destroy us is in their running game. We need to play contain, man up, maybe single high safety to roll help to Browner and stack the box. Stop them from running and keep Wilson contained, I feel like we can win. As for their defense, we have too many weapons for them to cover them all and if our line even plays like it did for the last 3 quarters of the game against the Ravens, then we will dominate their defense.

The PI against Revis was atrocious. not just bad....ATROCIOUS!!!! That's right, even by today's ticky tack standards. If that is PI, then there is PI on EVERY play. The holding that negated the strip sack, well, that was legit.

THe Browner PI was also an easy call and the right one.

THe non call on Gronk was pitiful.

Also, while a referee's decision is the talk of the Packers-Cowboys game, I wouldn't say the refs got it wrong. Like the tuck rule, I think the play was called correctly according to the rule (it's the rule itself that is questionable, but don't blame the ref for calling it by the rule). It's a shame, it certainly felt like a catch but by the rule is NOT a catch (just like the Calvin Johnson play, so people shouldn't be surprised by the call).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes