PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Tweener's World": 3-4 OLB Prospects

I like how all these articles quoting scouts and personnel men are coming out just as teams are finalizing their boards...

Haha, who do you think the mudslingers are.?.

Not a clue. I'm just enjoying the read and marking time until Saturday.

I'm am still upset they moved the start time back. The Pats aren't scheduled to be on the clock(assuming they stay at #23) until that night:ugh:

Thank you for your humorous post. So, for you, all it takes is ONE comment by ONE scout for you take a player off your board completely. :)

It is good that Belichick doesn't make decisions based on the statement of one scout not paid by the team.

To believe that Belichick would not even consider Orapko and Brown at 23 and again at 34 is utter nonesense, but then that is just my opinion.

Excellent article; I love those anonymous quotes, just as I love those found in PFW's Audibles section. No sugar-coating there, and I agree that Orakpo & Brown should not be considered at 23, 34 or anywhere else. Barwin, English & Maybin (not nec. in that order) are my preferences for OLB at 23 or 34, with Sintim in play at 47.

JMHO, but I don't think that either Orakpo or Brown are good fits for what OLBs are required to do here. Orakpo looks & plays more like a 4-3 DE, and Brown is too small - he's strictly an upfield rusher.

Now, if they were available in the 3rd round - after our other needs have been addressed - then I would def. consider them.

JMHO, but I don't think that either Orakpo or Brown are good fits for what OLBs are required to do here. Orakpo looks & plays more like a 4-3 DE, and Brown is too small - he's strictly an upfield rusher.

Now, if they were available in the 3rd round - after our other needs have been addressed - then I would def. consider them.

I personally agree with you about both. But for the other side's perspective, here's a contrasting view on Orapko as a 3-4 OLB:

Ready for a switch? Texas DE Orakpo could be linebacker for the Browns - cleveland.com

First, supporting your view (and mine), is Rob Rang of NFLdraftscout: Another draft analyst, Rob Rang of nfldraftscout.com, has dropped Orakpo to No.20 on his mock draft. "I don't know that he's athletic enough to be a rush linebacker," said Rang. "He's so bulked up that he's a bit stiff. I think he'll struggle to make the transition. The fact that Kamerion Wimbley has tapered off for the Browns and considering Mangini's experience last year with Gholston, I think it would be a risky pick for the Browns."

In contrast, the article suggests that Orapko played some 3-4 OLB last season with success: Last season, his new defensive coordinator, Will Muschamp, installed some of the 3-4 defense at Texas that he had learned under his mentor, Nick Saban, at Louisiana State and with the Dolphins. That means Orakpo is already familiar with the fundamentals of the Browns' scheme, because Saban has the same defensive mind-set as his good friend and old Browns boss, Bill Belichick ... who was current Browns coach Eric Mangini's mentor. "Coach Muschamp brought that 3-4 scheme with him to Texas from the Miami Dolphins, and we played it a lot here," said Oscar Giles, Orakpo's defensive line coach at Texas. "Brian played both end and linebacker in the scheme, and he excelled at both. He can rush the passer, play the run and drop into coverage -- and he can do all three at a high level." Orakpo, who had 11 1/2 sacks last season despite missing two games with a sprained knee, is confident he can make the switch. "What I like to say is that I'm not a guy that thinks I can do it, I'm a guy that has done it," he said. "I can play as a 3-4 'backer and also put my hand in the dirt. I know I can be effective at the position at the pro level."

I didn't watch a ton of Texas football last season, but I don't recall Orapko ever playing much 3-4 OLB. He was always lining up at DE and rushing the passer. Sergio Kindle, on the other hand, will make a terrific 3-4 OLB when he comes out next year.

I took note of those points in the article too, still...I don't know how, or if, Orakpo's COD skills can translate to OLB for the NEP. He didn't run those drills at the combine; I wonder how he performed them at his pro day.

Mike Reiss had a nice writeup on hybrid 3-4 OLBs today:

Linebacker is a mixed-up spot - The Boston Globe

"The prototypical hybrid is strong enough to play the run while locked up against offensive tackles, explosive enough to rush the passer off the edge, and athletic enough to drop into pass coverage. An added benefit is that he can stay on the field on third down, and possibly rush from a three-point stance to generate pressure."

The article singles out Robert Ayers and Larry English in particular.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back