PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Turns out Strahan doesn't own the single season sack record after all...

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

From the article:

"This represents a watershed moment for the kinds of football fans and researchers who obsess over statistics and want to know how many sacks Deacon Jones had (173.5), or who led the league in sacks in 1979 (Jack Youngblood). And it turns out that Strahan, when he recorded 22.5 sacks in 2001, fell just short of the record. The actual record was set by Lions rookie Al “Bubba” Baker in 1978, when he recorded 23 sacks."

Aw, Michael...

CommonBabyishAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Deacon Jones played 14 games in a league where teams passed much the ball much less. And this was during a time when getting high sack totals didn't automatically translate to more money or more accolades.

The recent stats unearthed by PFR should give very strong consideration that Deacon Jones is the GOAT pass rusher, and it's not very close.

Deacon Jones played 14 games in a league where teams passed much the ball much less. And this was during a time when getting high sack totals didn't automatically translate to more money or more accolades.

The recent stats unearthed by PFR should give very strong consideration that Deacon Jones is the GOAT pass rusher, and it's not very close.
Deacon Jones highlights are must-watch. It's a shame those crusty NFL Films footage run at 1/2 speed.

Just watch how quick he was with his feet and his head-slap- errr hands.

I don't know about that. I think Deacon would knock the coke right out of LT's nose.

LT was a reckless madman that acted like the QB raped his mother, murdered his family, and ate his children. I would take that level of intensity and determination over anything.

Last edited:
Deacon Jones highlights are must-watch. It's a shame those crusty NFL Films footage run at 1/2 speed.

Just watch how quick he was with his feet and his head-slap- errr hands.
Loved those 70's Ram teams and their uniforms
"Fearsome Foursome" ......Deacon Jones, Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, and Roosevelt Grier

And lets not forget Deacon Jones shined off the field
Cameos on
Brady Bunch
Wonder Woman
Odd Couple
etc

Movies including Heaven Can Wait

And my favorite

Loved those 70's Ram teams and their uniforms
"Fearsome Foursome" ......Deacon Jones, Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, and Roosevelt Grier

And lets not forget Deacon Jones shined off the field
Cameos on
Brady Bunch
Wonder Woman
Odd Couple
etc

Movies including Heaven Can Wait

And my favorite

Amazing how he, Rosie Grier and Merlin had very successful careers in Hollywood.

Helps to play football in Los Angeles.

Brady Bunch had a few other athletes. Joe Willie, Don Drysdale and Wes Parker IIRC.

Brady Bunch had a few other athletes. Joe Willie, Don Drysdale and Wes Parker IIRC.
Joe Willy on the set of the Brady Bunch...

"Come here Cindy, I just want to kiss you"
"What about you, Alice?"
"One thing I know, Mike Brady will kiss me"

Joe Willy on the set of the Brady Bunch...

"Come here Cindy, I just want to kiss you"
"What about you, Alice?"
"One thing I know, Mike Brady will kiss me"
...and I bed Don Drysdale was 1/2 in the bag showing Greg Brady how to pitch

Actual Deacon Jones quote:

"Anytime you go upside a man's head – or a woman – then they have a tendency to blink they eyes. Or close they eyes.”

Not exactly one of the more enlightened persons in the world.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back