PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tre Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

strngplyr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, we're probably premature and jumping the gun, but it sounds like this kid has a starting spot at RG.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 7m7 minutes ago
From this viewpoint, I can give you two big reasons why Jameis Winston was good as he was at Florida State: Tre Jackson & Bryan Stork.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 23m23 minutes ago
Tre' Jackson is prettay prettay good.

He's also been starting from day 1 of practice at RG, it sounds like the only spot up for grabs on the OL is going to be LG in a battle between Mason and Wendell, and they're taking a very long look at Mason while Wendell is recovering(?), not exactly sure what's keeping him out.

Stork has also been nearly unbeatable in all drills. We may not have the Cowboys' OL but we may actually have one of the better OLs, and certainly a very underrated one, by the midpoint of the season.

Edit: and it has to make us happy that our OL looks nothing like this:
Around The NFL retweeted
Conor Orr ‏@ConorOrr 4m4 minutes ago
A Giants offensive line of Justin Pugh, Adam Gettis, Dallas Reynolds, John Jerry and Marshall Newhouse today. Do with that what you will.

Jackson was a beast at FSU, and the general consensus seemed to be that if not for concerns about the longevity of his knee, he would've been picked much higher. If so, then this shouldn't be too surprising, and seems like great value for the Pats. Even if his knee does force him to retire early--and I hope it doesn't, doctors have been wrong about this stuff before if that's even the conclusion they reached--the Pats can still reasonably hope to get four years out of him at rookie wage scale salary.

And this is a work in progress, this OL is still gelling and is only going to get better as the season goes.

I'm curious about Flemming, they intended to use him as guard, he did a specific training for this, there was even a video of his camp, I guess didn't work out that well..

I hope he plays so physical, that his opponents spend all day Monday in the ice tub. "Ice" Tre Jackson would be a kick ass nickname.

I am usually patient w BB when he makes his picks, as many pan out. But I was genuinely excited when they selected T Jackson. Mason and Jackson could team w Stork to solidify an area that too many people who talk football take for granted.

Jackson was a beast at FSU, and the general consensus seemed to be that if not for concerns about the longevity of his knee, he would've been picked much higher. If so, then this shouldn't be too surprising, and seems like great value for the Pats. Even if his knee does force him to retire early--and I hope it doesn't, doctors have been wrong about this stuff before if that's even the conclusion they reached--the Pats can still reasonably hope to get four years out of him at rookie wage scale salary.
There were also concerns about his physical condition and commitment to playing 100% all the time. No one questioned his athleticism or his ability.

Good stuff.

I am usually patient w BB when he makes his picks, as many pan out. But I was genuinely excited when they selected T Jackson. Mason and Jackson could team w Stork to solidify an area that too many people who talk football take for granted.
Maybe its me but I can't recall the Pats missing on too many O-lineman in the draft picked above the 4th round.

Adrian Klemm was a bust but thats about it. Plus BB was still wearing Jets underwear.

And this is a work in progress, this OL is still gelling and is only going to get better as the season goes.

I'm curious about Flemming, they intended to use him as guard, he did a specific training for this, there was even a video of his camp, I guess didn't work out that well..

I love Flemming's role last season and I could see the "6th OL" become a much more commonly used player in the future. The offense goes in circles.

Bigger and faster receivers and emphasis on the passing game force defenses to get smaller and faster to compensate, then a team ahead of the curve, like NE, will load up on big TE's, OL, and RB's and pound the smaller defenses.

Then defenses get bigger (and as a result usually slower) as a reaction, and the offenses return to the smaller quicker players that can't be matched against.

Most of the sacks on brady last season was from the interior. That was one of our biggest weaknesses as far as oline goes. I'd like to see a Solder, Mason, Stork, Jackson, Vollmer starting line!

If Brady really wants to play for another 2 years let alone 5-7 he will need the best OL in the game.
Given Brady's amazing pocket awareness, ability to get rid of the ball quickly and the massive strides he made in scrambling and throwing on the run last year, he just needs a decent line.

I love Flemming's role last season and I could see the "6th OL" become a much more commonly used player in the future. The offense goes in circles.

Bigger and faster receivers and emphasis on the passing game force defenses to get smaller and faster to compensate, then a team ahead of the curve, like NE, will load up on big TE's, OL, and RB's and pound the smaller defenses.

Then defenses get bigger (and as a result usually slower) as a reaction, and the offenses return to the smaller quicker players that can't be matched against.

I'd argue we are well put together to attack either variety of defense. Edelman and Dola bring the quickness and Gronk and Chandler, well you get the idea.

Most of the sacks on brady last season was from the interior. That was one of our biggest weaknesses as far as oline goes. I'd like to see a Solder, Mason, Stork, Jackson, Vollmer starting line!

Two thoughts:

1.) Mason was never asked to do much pass blocking, but it was never stated he was awful at it
2.) If he can't beat Wendell (commonly known as a fighter/scrappy runblocker) in pass Pro then he needs more time

Mason has the ability, it should come down to how quick he learns the system and absorbs knowledge from those around him

Given Brady's amazing pocket awareness, ability to get rid of the ball quickly and the massive strides he made in scrambling and throwing on the run last year, he just needs a decent line.

This is true but he made all those crazy strides in maneuverability because he realized he had to. I'm sure he'd prefer a nice safe 4 second pocket to throw the ball in over having to scramble as much.

I'd argue we are well put together to attack either variety of defense. Edelman and Dola bring the quickness and Gronk and Chandler, well you get the idea.

Agreed, we lack the AJ Green/Moss type of receiver that everyone wants but we've won 4 superbowls with Tommy and without that guy. I think we're set to attack anyone anywhere.

This is true but he made all those crazy strides in maneuverability because he realized he had to. I'm sure he'd prefer a nice safe 4 second pocket to throw the ball in over having to scramble as much.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Brady to have a dominant line. I just think that no matter how good they are, he makes them look better.

Two thoughts:

1.) Mason was never asked to do much pass blocking, but it was never stated he was awful at it
2.) If he can't beat Wendell (commonly known as a fighter/scrappy runblocker) in pass Pro then he needs more time

Mason has the ability, it should come down to how quick he learns the system and absorbs knowledge from those around him

Every report I read states that he has short arms.

That's a handicap in pass blocking.

We have best of both.

1. Small, quick, shifty but also tough and willing to block receivers. Edelman and amendola.

2. Big, dominant TEs that are also terrific pass catchers. Gronk and chandler.

We don't need a burner over the top because our mismatch comes from the opponent D not having the players to match up collectively, as a D.

Every report I read states that he has short arms.

That's a handicap in pass blocking.

I don't think it would be as BIG of a handicap as it would be if he would traditionally be facing the longer slimmer DE's instead of DT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back