PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jury’s still out on the guy. I would like to know if those two td passes he caught where near the goal-line. I wanna see him do something beyond the goal-line.
Goal line is the hardest place to complete a pass. Which is why the patriots sucked last year and bill is known for a bend dont break defense.

If you don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows at all times then you're a bad fan bro.
That is right. There is no in between bra.

Looks like Harry read the Day 6 Camp notes thread. Thanks for making me look good bro!

Good to see Xavier Williams mentioned so early after being signed recently , could add depth if he keeps standing out

Route running is the second most important skill of a WR. Straight line speed is near the bottom of the list. Speed alone gets you Josh Boyce.
At some point athleticism and speed matter. Sanu has eclipsed 800 yards once in his career, he averages 11 yards per reception, 5 TD's is his career high... good receiver but nothing special. Not 6.5 million per special anyway...

The Pats may value his experience but if they were smart they would go with the less expensive youth movement and trade him to a WR desperate team after camp.

We are a WR desperate team, especially without Sanu. One or two injuries and it's scary.

My point is nobody's going to trade for Sanu at 6.5. He's an obvious cut IMO by anyone, if he doesn't renegotiate.

At some point athleticism and speed matter. Sanu has eclipsed 800 yards once in his career, he averages 11 yards per reception, 5 TD's is his career high... good receiver but nothing special. Not 6.5 million per special anyway...
It is if you have no one else to fill that role.
Well Sanu has never been “special” but he fills an important role. I would agree that cutting him before FA and finding a different, more important role to spend that much on seemed like the right move, but with the hand we have in front of us, a reliable 60-70 catch guy is good to have. No one on the roster brings that to complement Edelman and Harry.

We are a WR desperate team, especially without Sanu. One or two injuries and it's scary.

My point is nobody's going to trade for Sanu at 6.5. He's an obvious cut IMO by anyone, if he doesn't renegotiate.
Who is your wr3 and wr4 if you cut this guy, who has been a good wr3/4 for some quite a while.

It is if you have no one else to fill that role.
Well Sanu has never been “special” but he fills an important role. I would agree that cutting him before FA and finding a different, more important role to spend that much on seemed like the right move, but with the hand we have in front of us, a reliable 60-70 catch guy is good to have. No one on the roster brings that to complement Edelman and Harry.
Gunner, Byrd, Jakobi, the UDFA's... they have some options and depth.

Gunner, Byrd, Jakobi, the UDFA's... they have some options and depth.
Byrd and Sanu are totally different receivers. None of the other guys have come close to proving they can put up 60-70 catches.
I know there are names on the roster, but I was talking about players who can certainly fill an important role.

Nobody else finds it ironic how just days ago Sanu was running the slickest sexiest routes since Rice, while Harry looked slow and plodding in a WR route video...

I pointed out how I'd bothered to pull out the stopwatch on my phone, timed these out routes and realized both Harry and Meyers were about a tenth of a second faster than Sanu... now it's Sanu that's slow?

The eyeball test is worthless, especially when the eyes watching are biased and seeing what they want to see... in this case they desperately want to call BB a failure for drafting Harry. Negative Nancy's is the term...

Harry just has to stay healthy and get fed a steady diet of targets. "Separation" and pristine route running is overrated. Not to say you don't need it, but Harry wasn't as bad as advertised and he was never going to shake the pants off the best CB's in the NFL, he was going to outmuscle and out jump them.

Last year he caught a TD on Byron Jones, the highest paid corner free agent in the league. He just needs to stay healthy.

What are people's non-homer, objective analysis on the notes on Cam so far? It's weird hearing stuff like "he had edleman open over the middle but instead went for byrd deep in dbl coverage and got intercepted" - that's just **** we'd never hear with Brady. But Cam isn't Brady (no one is), so I'm having a hard time telling what really is "good" for Newton. The completion % doesn't seem great, but then notes say he's stealing camp. Any input?

Byrd and Sanu are totally different receivers. None of the other guys have come close to proving they can put up 60-70 catches.
I know there are names on the roster, but I was talking about players who can certainly fill an important role.
Byrd is more flanker who can make 2-3 plays a game for big gainers and conversions on third down or long downs. Gunner, Jakobi, possibly Hastings or Ross can be more possession types.

The offense will be simplified this year, it won't be dependent on receivers ability to read Tom's mind. I'm not saying Sanu is a goner, I'm saying he is good but not great. He's dependable but not explosive... he's also expensive.

Byrd is more flanker who can make 2-3 plays a game for big gainers and conversions on third down or long downs. Gunner, Jakobi, possibly Hastings or Ross can be more possession types.

The offense will be simplified this year, it won't be dependent on receivers ability to read Tom's mind. I'm not saying Sanu is a goner, I'm saying he is good but not great. He's dependable but not explosive... he's also expensive.
Byrd has 9 games in his life with 2 or more catches and 2 with more than 60 yards
Last year he had 19 catches of 9 or less yards, 11 of 10-19 and only 2 all year 20 or more so I’m not sure how he will have 2-3 big gainers a game.
He is a fringe NFL player and certainly unproven. The rest of the guys on your list are steps behind that.
Sanu, and I am very far from a sanu fan, has over 400 nfl catches.
We are weak at WR, getting rid of one of only 2 guys that have ever had any consistent success in the NFL because we have the same run of the mill UDFAs that every other team cuts makes no sense.

Mark Daniels
@MarkDanielsPJ
Receptions for RBs through seven practices
Burkhead (19) - leads all offensive players
Harris (10)
White (7)
Taylor (5)

Receptions for TEs through seven practices
Asiasi (12)
Keene (11)
Izzo (8)

Receptions for WRs through seven practices:
Edelman (18)
Gunner (14)
Sanu (13)
Byrd (13)
Ross (11)
Harry (7)
Meyers (7)
Zuber (2)
2:59 PM · Aug 24, 2020

What are people's non-homer, objective analysis on the notes on Cam so far? It's weird hearing stuff like "he had edleman open over the middle but instead went for byrd deep in dbl coverage and got intercepted" - that's just **** we'd never hear with Brady. But Cam isn't Brady (no one is), so I'm having a hard time telling what really is "good" for Newton. The completion % doesn't seem great, but then notes say he's stealing camp. Any input?
Here is my take. We are gonna run the ball 35 times a game, with newton running for 600-700 yards. The offense will not resemble anything we have ever seen here. We will
use multiple running backs numerous different personnel grouping. We will use multiple TEs, 6th ol, and will also get good blocking wrs on the field to to make the defense smaller to run against.
We will create play action easy throws, we will have a hard time on 3rd down, but every now and then newton will buy time for receivers and create a big play.
If we can get a couple of lbs (Bentley and uche?) to fill void of Hightower and Collins (winovich is the new vannoy) we will be a strong d supported by a ball control
offense that moves the chains and once in a while pops a big play.
If the d is similar to last year we will be a better team because the offense will be a better complement and it won’t have all
It’s weaknesses at the pieces that are critical to the scheme.

Nobody else finds it ironic how just days ago Sanu was running the slickest sexiest routes since Rice, while Harry looked slow and plodding in a WR route video...

I pointed out how I'd bothered to pull out the stopwatch on my phone, timed these out routes and realized both Harry and Meyers were about a tenth of a second faster than Sanu... now it's Sanu that's slow?

The eyeball test is worthless, especially when the eyes watching are biased and seeing what they want to see... in this case they desperately want to call BB a failure for drafting Harry. Negative Nancy's is the term...

Harry just has to stay healthy and get fed a steady diet of targets. "Separation" and pristine route running is overrated. Not to say you don't need it, but Harry wasn't as bad as advertised and he was never going to shake the pants off the best CB's in the NFL, he was going to outmuscle and out jump them.

Last year he caught a TD on Byron Jones, the highest paid corner free agent in the league. He just needs to stay healthy.

Do you think people looked at Sanu as a fast runner?

rofl.gif

First rule of holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call