PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Deadline is approaching. Will the Patriots make a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping they make a move. They have gotten pressure when they blitz hightower. I still haven't seen as much pressure. Willie Young from the bears's a guy they can look at.

If Vollmer won't be back this year I could see BB trading for a quality RT....... There doesn't seem to be any other glaring holes in this edition of "the Drive for Five".......... Go Pats

I heard Bedard float this one couple days ago. Demarco Murray if the Titans keep sliding. They drafted Henry high and he's being blocked.

I'd love Murray here and it would make the Pats undeniable SB contenders. He thrives out of the I back set.

We should of traded for him when philly dumped him.
The Titans would be crazy to trade him to us.

Browns asked for a 1st 2nd and 3rd last year for Thomas. I doubt that's changed.

Glenn Dorsey from the 49ers might make some sense at DT.

Apart from Joe Thomas is a year older and a year nearer the end of his career. I think Joe Thomas could be had (by any team willing to pay the Brown's price) and I imagine he could be had for a 1st this year and a second next year.

Glenn Dorsey is a good suggestion for an incoming player and we know Bill is tight with Chip and the 49ers season is basically over so Chip could be looking at collecting another pick for the draft.

If the Browns' asking price for Joe Thomas has gotten more reasonable, then he's going to be traded to a team that actually needs a left tackle. I understand why some people may not be content with Cannon despite his perfectly acceptable level of play this season, but trading high picks for Thomas (and presumably moving Solder over to the right side) is absolutely awful allocation of resources.

I heard Bedard float this one couple days ago. Demarco Murray if the Titans keep sliding. They drafted Henry high and he's being blocked.

I'd love Murray here and it would make the Pats undeniable SB contenders. He thrives out of the I back set.
I may get some "funny" marks for this, but I think it would be cool to see if we could get McFadden on the cheap. He's really not needed in Dallas, and he says he's ready to go. He's obviously not an elite offensive threat like Murray, but he'd certainly be an upgrade over Bolden.

Id be less surprised if they trade out considering the depth of the roster and that they have not been so thin at draft picks in 15 years (only 5 confirmed; not clear about the 7 rd).

"Hi Bill, this is Hue Jack..."

"Of course i know it's you, Jackson. What do you want? I'm trying to teach Solder how to throw. I'll use this trick against the ravens before they change the rules"

"Well listen, I want Jimmy to be out future, Bill. What do you want for him"

"We are on to Pittsburgh "

"Alright Bill, then this is my offer:
Garoppolo for Joe Thomas, a 2017 Second Round Pick. 2018 first round and second round picks"

Bill:...

So would you make this Trade? I'd love to have Thomas, i bet he would rework his salary to play for us (he has said that he wants to be in a winning team and rumours have it that Cleveland wants him to succeed somewhere, if the price is right). That would give us an amazing Tackle for 3 years helping Brady in his 40s AND we can groom a replacement for the future. I remind you that Vollmer is in his last year and I'm not sure he'll be back

Hi, I'm a fan from France, i've been following this forum for 3 years, and here is my first post, finally... Excuse my poor, rusty english, i hope it's understandable at least.

Well, unfortunately, I highly doubt Bill would consider giving up a 1st rounder (at least) + 10M$/year for a LT when he already has Solder signed through 2017 for pretty much the same number. When Denver were pursuing Joe Thomas, it was because they had their LT lost for the season and they were considering going all-in, as 2015 was realistically their last shot for a ring.

I agree that Jimmy Garoppolo is as good as gone (bad timing, GOAT QB re-signed through 2019) but Bill won't take the risk to get rid of his only backup QB until next offseason.

So here's my plan for the Jimmy G (blockbuster) 2017 Trade. I don't know if that makes sense. Let's assume that :

1-Bill Belichick will never surrender his best backup QB since Brady himself for less than two high draft picks... Unless he's 100% sure that Grop can't stick long term salary cap-wise, but still : JimmyG >= 2 high draft picks.

2-Our trade partner (Bears, Niners, Browns...) would never give up so much compensation without significant guarantees of success, for a young QB who has only started 2 games / 6 quarters in the league.

Well, why not work a deal with the team where Josh McDaniels (who's also a goner, sadly) is going to be the new HC, as a condition for his acceptation of the job, a deal packaging Jimmy with some of his skill players or OLinemen current teammates (two or three of Amendola, White, Derby, Tre Jackson, maybe Andrews who is certainly upgradable via the next draft). That would give Jimmy a comfort zone in his new spot and facilitate his acclimation. A team desperate for success might be inclined to accept such a deal and send us, say, a 1st (hopefully top 3 overall) + 2nd in 2017 + 1st (or 2nd, or 1st Rd swap, but i'd prefer an additional 1st here) in 2018. The 2017 1st would result either in a selection (Myles Garrett ?) or a in trade back (Belichick would manage to get 14 firsts + 5 All Pro veterans + 8 Safeties/STers + a lacrosse stadium + the cleveland browns + the aladdin lamp + a tablet out of this pick).

I know an OC who is leaving for a HC job requires no compensation, so Josh McD would technically not be part of the value of the trade, but he would be part of it's dynamic, as it's best guarantee of long term success.

Am I just a foolish unrealistic parisian guy who doesn't know what he's talking about, or does it sound reasonable, i mean, within the belichickian realm of possibility ?

My other "wish" would be to try to trade for Carlos Dunlap (next offseason would be more realistic) but i don't know what would be the fair compensation (1st round ? 2nd+4th ? 2nd + a player ? More ?) and whether that would be worth it. He's a double-digit sack DE with two years left on his 7.5M/year contract, and unless we manage to land a stud like Garrett in the next draft (thanks to the aforementioned JimmyG trade), trading for a vet player seems to be the easiest way to address the lack of sack production for a manageable cap allocation (Sheard would probably command more than 7.5M AAVG and he's not quite as efficient).

"Paris", your English is quite good, so no worries there. As for your suggestions, all very interesting. Being from Northeast Ohio, where Josh McDaniels grew up, I have a different insight on his future plans. I know someone who was a childhood friend of Josh's and he has told me what he envisions as a next step for him. By the way, Josh got him and his wife free tickets to the Patriots' Super Bowl victory over Seattle. He says that Josh definitely wants a head coaching position but would like one geographically close to Ohio. He has already rejected Cleveland because of his mistrust of their upper management. Josh might be interested in the Detroit Lions job if it came available. The Bears might also be a possibility. I also feel Garoppolo is as good as gone this off season. Jacoby Brissett will need a few years to grow into a starting QB job, so he would fit in nicely with TB's eventual retirement. There have been rumors of a blockbuster trade with the Niners for Garoppolo involving several high draft choices. I look for BB to showcase Garoppolo as much as possible for the rest of this season to enhance his tradeability, as well as give TB adequate rest.
It is good to know the Patriots' appeal is international. Keep up the messages and good luck to you.

I mean, it's all about the offer in the end. I would be tempted to accept the offer i came up with.... If BB is sure that Garoppolo's future is somewhere else, he won't second guess trading him for something that would be beneficial for the team, even if we had to sign a new QB. The opposite could be true, as well, of course
Disagree.

During the season, it's all about winning games, the Division, the Conference and the SB. Garoppolo has shown that he can win or keep the Patriots in games if Brady gets hurt and has to miss a game or two.

Trade talk (about JG) is for February and March, not October.

The only deal I'd listen to at this point for JG would be a legit Starter at a position that needs shoring up plus First and Second Rounders in 2017 and 2018 from a bottom feeder team. Of course, any GM who made that offer would be fired or shot before he could get it done, so it's not going to happen.

If the Patriots due trade Jimmy it's going to be for a high draft pick(s), so trading him at the deadline really isn't necessary. Plus of course, if something God forbid, should happen with Brady, Jimmy could still lead this team into the playoffs, and from there who knows.
It's not just for Brady insurance you don't trade in-season. With every victory JG delivers for his new team, it hurts the Pats' ROI. Off-season trade.

I'd love Murray here and it would make the Pats undeniable SB contenders.

Pretty sure Pats are undeniable SB contenders now.

"Paris." Merci beaucoup for the post and bienvenue to the board!

I'm not as convinced that Josh is a goner...at least as long as Belichick is HC and Brady is QB. I'm afraid that Matt Patricia might be the first one out the door. But, we're all just guessing.

À bientôt.

"Paris", your English is quite good, so no worries there. As for your suggestions, all very interesting. Being from Northeast Ohio, where Josh McDaniels grew up, I have a different insight on his future plans. I know someone who was a childhood friend of Josh's and he has told me what he envisions as a next step for him. By the way, Josh got him and his wife free tickets to the Patriots' Super Bowl victory over Seattle. He says that Josh definitely wants a head coaching position but would like one geographically close to Ohio. He has already rejected Cleveland because of his mistrust of their upper management. Josh might be interested in the Detroit Lions job if it came available. The Bears might also be a possibility. I also feel Garoppolo is as good as gone this off season. Jacoby Brissett will need a few years to grow into a starting QB job, so he would fit in nicely with TB's eventual retirement. There have been rumors of a blockbuster trade with the Niners for Garoppolo involving several high draft choices. I look for BB to showcase Garoppolo as much as possible for the rest of this season to enhance his tradeability, as well as give TB adequate rest.
It is good to know the Patriots' appeal is international. Keep up the messages and good luck to you.
Note to self:
Never tell your "childhood friend" anything that I consider private or personal.

Thank you "Ohio" for your kind words. Actually, i would say that the Pats are the most popular NFL team in Europe, and not only because of their recent success. We have some long-time die-hard fans here, that have endured those tough 1-15, 2-14 seasons, and by the way, our "Fan Club Français des New England Patriots" that brings us together has been recognized by Mr Kraft as the official french fan club in 2007.

To get back to the JimmyG issue, I sincerely hope they can get a deal done that works for the three sides. I hope Jimmy G can land either in "his" Chicago Bears or in a great rebuilding organization (SF). Both trade partners would make perfect sense for us, as they are NFC teams and they may provide us a high first round choice in 2017 + they might have a hard time getting back to playoff contention as soon as 2018 with the tough competition they're facing in their respective divisions, so any additional 2018 pick would probably be a valuable one. But still, I would hope long term success for Mcd and Jimmy (Bill's coaching tree, Patriots credibility for future trades, etc.).

Chicago would be the perfect spot from a geographic point of view, especially if Josh McD get involved in the deal (if we rely on your friends information). So, both teams would be well advised to "suck for Jimmy&Josh" in 2017 if they want to be the chosen one :) All we have to do is to keep selling them Jimmy as the new Aaron Rodgers, which would sounds to appealing for both teams to pass up : Rodgers is the Bears archrival/nightmare that they secretely wish they had as their QB, while picking Alex Smith over Rodgers has been arguably the poorest decision in the history of mankind (well, the poorest since the 2000 draft / second poorest of all time), and it is probably still haunting the 49ers franchise.

I hope Jacoby Brissett if given the opportunity will develop as a decent back up and a reliable transition QB at least, if not the heir apparent. He looks to be a poised, smart, hard working kid, and i expect him to take this 2017 redshirt year to work on his mechanics, quick release, and keep picking up the offense. If promoted as the QB#2 in 2017, the next offseason would hugely benefit to his learning curve (work load / reps / trust / implication).

I see the point of a bunch people here, but i disagree with those saying BB wont trade Grop for Joe Thomas, if the reason is because Grop is "too valuable".

I don't remember Brady missing a game due to injury, outside of the 2008 season. So the odds of seeing a back up QB here are only in case of catastrophe.

So with that, names aside, would you rather have an All Pro Left Tackle protecting a 39 yo QB, or a back up QB ? I prefer making sure that our starting QB won't need to be replaced.

Now, of course there's the other factor, which is the bigger deal IMO: Is Garoppolo the future FOR US? If he is, then the trade is off. If BB thinks that Brady will last for some time yet and/or trusts Brisset's potential, he won't wait to pounce on a good offer, being middle of the season or not.

That's what i think.

great rebuilding organization (SF).
Welcome to the chat!

But let me stop you right here to say this: 49ers are the worse franchise in the league nowadays

- Chip Kelly is a complet fraud

- Trent Baalke got rid of the 2nd best coach in the NFL because of his Ego

-Jed York is a complete moron.

Mike Vrabel rejected the offer to become a DC there, just so you see how dysfunctional the organization is now. I hope to God that Jimmy doesnt end up there

"Paris." Merci beaucoup for the post and bienvenue to the board!

I'm not as convinced that Josh is a goner...at least as long as Belichick is HC and Brady is QB. I'm afraid that Matt Patricia might be the first one out the door. But, we're all just guessing.

À bientôt.

Merci my friend for your words of bienvenue in french :)

I hope McD would stick around and settle for his current, enviable role, i.e. the offensive brain of the most dominant dynasty ever, so as to help this dynasty lasting as long as possible, and why not eventually take over the day Bill retires. But if the rumors are accurate and if Josh has to leave for a HC job after 2016, I hope this could help us netting a "king ransom" for Garoppolo (whose departure seems inevitable aswell).

I have no accurate, first-hand news (is "first-hand" correct in english ?) on those two cases (Jimmy and Josh), I'm just relying on what I read here and there (patsfans, b/r, etc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back