PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Toss Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

makoute

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When was the last time the Pats had a toss play? I can't really remember one since the Corey Dillon era, I thought they would try that a lot with Maroney.

Our OL allows too much penetration to try those types of plays too often.

Toss sweeps suffer from the main disadvantage of regular sweeps - backside ends and linebacker running the back down - without having the boot fake to slow the backside end down some.

The only time you'd really utilize a toss sweep is if you had a weak offset fullback or H-back leading the sweep, so you'd want the QB to reverse out from under center and toss it to avoid collision.

Good question though. I've often asked why Mcdaniels doesn't do more to get Maroney out in space, where he needs to be in order to run effectively. look at what he can do receiving - last year he caught 4 balls for 116 yard, all four plays were over 20 yds.

I think I just saw Cleveland run a toss sweep against Cincinnati on 3rd and 2. They used Joshua Cribbs, their slot receiver, to crack on the playside DE, and lead on the corner with Joe Thomas, their LT.

I don't know what else they did, it was a pretty quick play. Cribbs' block was the most important part of the play, and it was a real good crack block.

I've seen quite a few teams running a "Student Body" Toss, with a crack on the LB and the FSY and FSG pulling and leading...Pittsburgh comes to mind. Most teams run the Zone Toss and try to get the defense running, then wind it back.

I've seen quite a few teams running a "Student Body" Toss, with a crack on the LB and the FSY and FSG pulling and leading...Pittsburgh comes to mind. Most teams run the Zone Toss and try to get the defense running, then wind it back.

I thought the classic USC Student Body play was the backside guard and tackle pulling and leading in the direction of the drive blocking, thus the illusion that the entire student body was coming up the right or left hash.

As opposed to the Packer or Power sweep, which pulls both guards.

When was the last time the Pats had a toss play? I can't really remember one since the Corey Dillon era, I thought they would try that a lot with Maroney.

I remember the toss handoff being used more effectively w/ Antowain Smith than w/ Dillon, who seemed to be more comfortable taking handoffs directly from the QB, and w/ a FB ahead of him.

Not only would tosses be a pleasant change of pace, but also so would stretch handoffs. Heck, if that horse-faced, hillbilly simpleton can properly execute them, then why not our QBs? Play-action, reverses & other misdirection plays should be more effective, too. Gotta give the devil his due here: Payaton sells play-action maybe better than anyone in football. Lord Favrequad's pretty good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes