PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 15 2nd Year Players in BB era

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I figured it would be fun to create a list of the top 15 Patriots who had the most productivie second year in the NFL. Keep in mind, this is not a measurement of who made the greatest jump from year one to year two, but simply what second year players were the best. ***Also note, this does not refer to players who experienced their second year in the past. This list represents players in their second year of the NFL.

I'm sure there will be plenty of debate, but here goes my list (with some commentary on some)............

1.) Rob Gronkowski (2011) - Nigthmare for defenses. Set record for most TDs in NFL by tight end..nuff said.

2.) Tom Brady (2001) - Numbers were average but I can't overlook that he led a 5-11 team to a Super Bowl championship.

3.) Stevan Ridley (2012) - He was an absolutele stud in 2012 with 1200+ yards.

4.) Malcolm Butler (2015) - Guy needed to come up big (due to departures) and he did! Showed that Super Bowl INT was no fluke.

5.) Sebastian Vollmer (2010) - I'll be honest, I'm not qualified to rank lineman but I can't ignore that Pro Football reference rated his average value in 2010 as a whopping 17 (Gronk in 2011 was a 14). Maybe a typo?

6.) Richard Seymour (2002)

7.) Chandler Jones (2013)

8.) Dan Koppen (2004)

9.) Aaron Hernandez (2011) - I know, I know, we'd rather forget he ever existed, but the numbers don't lie. 900 yards and 7 Tds

10.) Logan Mankins (2006)

11.) Jamie Collins (2014)

12.) Danny Woodhead (2010)

13.) Vince Wilfork (2005)

14) Trey Flowers (2016) - Controversial pick given most of his production was for half a season, but couldn't overlook 2.5 sacks in the Super Bowl!

15.) Eugene Wilson (2004) - With Harrison formed a safety tandem that was not to be messed with.

Feel free to tell me who I forgot, BUT, if you do, at the same time let me know who you would take off this list to make room for that individual.

Also, do you think any of this years rookies have a good chance at cracking this list next year?

Lastly, was Vollmer really that dominant in 2010?

edit: correct spelling error

Last edited:
I could see Mitchell making this list next year. And if he does, watch out!

I would put Trey Flowers higher on the list. He was a one-man wrecking crew during the second half of 2016 and throughout the postseason. Deion Branch is also worthy of consideration.

branch.jpg

I would put Trey Flowers higher on the list. He was a one-man wrecking crew during the second half of 2016 and throughout the postseason. Deion Branch is also worthy of consideration.

Good points....as for Deion Branch he's certainly on the honorable mention. I'm just not sure he warrants bumping someone off this list. An argument could certainly be made, though.

Givens.
Samuel.
Andrews.

Regards,
Chris

Well, I figured it would be fun to create a list of the top 15 Patriots who had the most productivie second year in the NFL. Keep in mind, this is not a measurement of who made the greatest jump from year one to year two, but simply what second year players were the best. ***Also note, this does not refer to players who experienced their second year in the past. This list represents players in their second year of the NFL.

I'm sure there will be plenty of debate, but here goes my list (with some commentary on some)............

1.) Rob Gronkowski (2011) - Nigthmare for defenses. Set record for most TDs in NFL by tight end..nuff said.

2.) Tom Brady (2001) - Numbers were average but I can't overlook that he led a 5-11 team to a Super Bowl championship.

3.) Stevan Ridley (2012) - He was an absolutele stud in 2012 with 1200+ yards.

4.) Malcolm Butler (2015) - Guy needed to come up big (due to departures) and he did! Showed that Super Bowl INT was no fluke.

5.) Sebastian Vollmer (2010) - I'll be honest, I'm not qualified to rank lineman but I can't ignore that Pro Football reference rated his average value in 2010 as a whopping 17 (Gronk in 2011 was a 14). Maybe a typo?

6.) Richard Seymour (2002)

7.) Chandler Jones (2013)

8.) Dan Koppen (2004)

9.) Aaron Hernandez (2011) - I know, I know, we'd rather forget he ever existed, but the numbers don't lie. 900 yards and 7 Tds

10.) Logan Mankins (2006)

11.) Jamie Collins (2014)

12.) Danny Woodhead (2010)

13.) Vince Wilfork (2005)

14) Trey Flowers (2016) - Controversial pick given most of his production was for half a season, but couldn't overlook 2.5 sacks in the Super Bowl!

15.) Eugene Wilson (2004) - With Harrison formed a safety tandem that was not to be messed with.

Feel free to tell me who I forgot, BUT, if you do, at the same time let me know who you would take off this list to make room for that individual.

Also, do you think any of this years rookies have a good chance at cracking this list next year?

Lastly, was Vollmer really that dominant in 2010?

edit: correct spelling error

How is Deion Branch not on this list? He should be in the top 5 at least.

Good points....as for Deion Branch he's certainly on the honorable mention. I'm just not sure he warrants bumping someone off this list. An argument could certainly be made, though.

10/143 and a touchdown against Carolina including the catch that put them in FG range to win the game. His yards from scrimmage where greater than Woodhead's and a much larger chunk of the total passing yards that year. I'd take him over a few players on that list but for his SB contribution alone I'd put him on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots