SOURCE:CBS Boston

SOURCE:CBS Boston

SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Tony Romo's AFCCG color commentary

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by TB12GOATQB, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,473
    The funny thing is (unlike Tony's arch-nemesis, Dan Flappy Fouts), Tony has lost to the GOAT at least twice, and doesn't appear to harbor any ill-will toward him. I swear to Bob Dobbs, every time I hear Fouts and his floundering monotone address Tom, DF acts as though Tom has personally slighted him.

2. cscirpoli

cscirpoli Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I hope he continues to study if that's the case. He watches a lot of film before the game. Hopefully he also gets these other guys to pick up a tablet once in a while.

3. slash83

slash83 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,475
    Is he doing the SB?

4. oceansizer

oceansizer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +768
    I like Romo's comments. He seems to have fun doing it and that is very important.What is more I did not notice bias in his opinions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wheelman

Wheelman Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,000

• Like Like x 1
  6. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,059
    tbh I'm not sure why the consensus seems to be that the commentator-to-coach move would be a step up for him. NFL coaching is an absolute meat grinder that nobody without a coaching background is really prepared for. He'd be signing up to probably quadruple the number of hours he works, all for the rather thankless task of being a coordinator somewhere where everyone will be calling for his head and he'll be scapegoated and fired if 5 or 6 balls bounce the wrong way over the course of a season. Unless getting into coaching is something he's super passionate about and has been wanting to do for a long time, I just don't see where the motivation for making that switch could come from. Not when he has arguably the cushiest NFL-adjacent job in the world, for which he's universally recognized and widely praised to the point that it's probably helping his on-field legacy by now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  7. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,059
    Yeah, I think that's a huge part of it. It's not just that he has an encyclopedic knowledge of what's happening or that he can reliably predict what's going to happen before the ball is snapped. It's also that he's just a really natural, personable speaker whose enjoyment of what he's doing always comes through in his commentary. Both are rare by themselves, and getting them together is that much rarer. Last guy that was even close was John Madden back when he was actually informative and before he became a walking self-parody late in his career.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,007
    I agree. He is living closer to a 40h week now than anything inside the NFL is to 80h. Less pressure, he gets to talk to a lot of creative football minds during prep meetings, works from September to January (sometimes February). And already makes more money at CBS than most experienced coaches do.

There is zero reason why he'd go into coaching unless like you say he feels super passionate about it and being around "the guys". But he more or less has the dream job for his skillset.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +683
    My personal favorite is Don Meredith who was on MNF and for a few

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +875
    He said it while replaying the Edelman punt challenge

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. TheRainMaker

TheRainMaker 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,118
    He actually kept anticipating certain things to happen during the game. First time I remember was when Nance said something like "Chiefs about to be in a 14 point hole". Brady throws a pick in the endzone. I don't remember the others, but Romo told him he didn't want to assume anything yet.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. GodBrady

GodBrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +544
    Agreed, commentating is about as cushy of a job as can be.

The only way it would make sense if if he has an insatiable desire to win and/or be competitive.

It's kind of like coaching in college vs. the NFL. In college, these coaches have incredibly cushy jobs and are treated like royalty; it's hard to believe some of these guys ever leave for the NFL (where job security is clearly not a thing).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GodBrady

GodBrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +544
    Not only that, but Romo literally refers to Tom has "the GOAT" during broadcasts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Hammer of Thor

Hammer of Thor PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,234
    Yup, difference in attitudes.
    Tying this in, I think that's part of the reason for the difference in attitudes. Fouts had a different playing style altogether. So he wouldn't appreciate -- or possibly even understand -- what Brady is trying and able to do.

Romo grew up with Parcells who employed the EP system. Sure Parcells isn't an offensive guru, but it's likely that he had similar expectations that Belichick has about what his QB should be doing. Whenever Romo speaks of Brady, I've always heard a sense of envy and admiration - basically along the lines of, Brady is able to do all of the things I wanted to do but just wasn't able to. Now there could be a variety of reasons for why that is - Brady having higher talent level than Romo, Romo not having a cool-as-ice personality like Brady causing him to panic under pressure, Romo enjoying life outside of football and therefore not putting the same OCD effort in his craft as Brady, something else altogether. We don't know what it is, but simply all things that don't make him a bad person but just prevented him from being an elite quarterback. But whatever it is, it clearly hasn't impacted Romo's ability to enjoy someone who can do all of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Antdawg

Antdawg Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +72
    I recall Romo rightly calling out Tomlin in the Pittsburgh game as well for that last drive where they basically handed the ball back to TB12 with way too much time. It didn't quite work out for the Pats, but it nearly did and it didn't have to be that close.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. livinginthe past

livinginthe past 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +862
    I enjoy his insight and he does seem genuinely into the game from a fan perspective.

Things I don't like:

1. His voice (grating, gravelly.....seems like he needs a throat sweet)
    2. "OH WOWWWWWWWW" Over enthusiasm for just about everything and this is the standard phrase almost every time.
    3. Still biased (just more subtle than some of the old hacks) - won't mention obvious Kelce push offs - even though we are watching a replay of it over and over before the XP.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wheelman

Wheelman Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,000
    This kinda talk will give Romo leverage in getting CBS to pony up though. So while I agree, it's good this kind of talk happens for Romo.