Tomase's reasoning behind his article

Status
Not open for further replies.

bresna

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Check out his comments in the WROR Podcast from Feb 5th:

http://wror.everyzing.com/viewMedia...WROR&start=57&expand=true&match=none&filter=0

go to the 12:20 mark.

While I'm still PO'ed at Tomase, he sounds genuinely bummed out that he had to run with the story. You have to wonder if he is just the fall-guy for the Herald editors.

"It's not my job to keep stuff out of the paper"

"My job's not a popularity contest - I have to write what the news is"

"New York Times and ESPN seem like they're close to something that we had heard - so we have to start digging and when you find something, it has to go in the paper"

He may not be the only culpable party but his name is on it and rumor/innuendo is not news. Sorry Johnny. You may have to write what the news is but you can't just print any old rumor you hear.

http://wror.everyzing.com/viewMedia...WROR&start=57&expand=true&match=none&filter=0

While I'm still PO'ed at Tomase, he sounds genuinely bummed out that he had to run with the story. You have to wonder if he is just the fall-guy for the Herald editors.

"New York Times and ESPN seem like they're close to something that we had heard - so we have to start digging and when you find something, it has to go in the paper"

Translation: "We didn't care if we were wrong; we just didn't want to be scooped."

Cry me a f'n river. Classic: "I have to write what the news is". Sickening.

What is "the news"? A lie you make up to sell papers?

He has a responsibility to come out and name who fed him the BS. His source was wrong, but he needs to reveal his source.

Last edited:
If he was gonna trust a source enough to go unnamed he should've demanded evidence to confirm it.

There's a simple name for his (and his paper's) failing here: greed. It was plain old journalistic greed, wanting that scoop. And like so many people blinded by greed, they put aside their principles to go after the object of their desire.

Tomase's "excuse" is actually quite damning, because it makes it clear that he didn't think he had enough to go on to run the story.

yeah, the reality is, print media has been marginalized in some part because on the radio, online and even on TV now, it's totally fair game to discuss things that are not sourced and are not hard news.

in order to stay relevant, print media feels it needs talk about the things that are being talked about in other media. sooner or later, i suppose, we'll need to just get over the fact that print media no longer lives by the standards and ethics of journalism and instead is just another vehicle for infotainment.

now, more than ever, you just can't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

Last edited:
He has a responsibility to come out and name who fed him the BS. His source was wrong, but he needs to reveal his source.

It's an interesting twist on a journalist's responsibility toward his confidential sources. Do you have an obligation to shield the identity of a source who lied to you?

The Jumbo grad wrote...

PWP: True. That's the Editor's job to quash a story without a credible source.

PWP: I support this. If there's a real story involving team misconduct, it's relevant news and should be printed.

Here's where Tboy and his editor went awry. It's clear they feared being scooped by the NYT and possibly its failing stepchild, local rival Boston Globe. Panic and loss of considered judgement. Finding 'something' doesn't cut it. The more outrageous the claim, the better the source(s) need to be. Clearly, he was misled by his source.

My conjecture is that he took whispers from his anti-BB sources like his mentor Felgie and maybe Borges, coupled with an echo of the same whispers having passed thru ESPN and a jealous NFL GM and used the consensus rumor mill as his sources. Pathetic.

Last edited:

He'll never reveal his source, and I dont blame him, but he has to come out an say he was wrong and apologize, otherwise his fat ass is toast in Boston.

He'll never reveal his source, and I dont blame him, but he has to come out an say he was wrong and apologize, otherwise his fat ass is toast in Boston.

That's enough toast to feed the homeless for a month.

Wow, I really got the sense there that Tomase just heard it as a rumor back in September, when all that other defensive linemen microphones and all that came out. It just didn't sound like he had one solid source that he was relying on, but rather just hearing murmurs.

yeah, the reality is, print media has been marginalized in some part because on the radio, online and even on TV now, it's totally fair game to discuss things that are not sourced and are not hard news.

in order to stay relevant, print media feels it needs talk about the things that are being talked about in other media. sooner or later, i suppose, we'll need to just get over the fact that print media no longer lives by the standards and ethics of journalism and instead is just another vehicle for infotainment.

now, more than ever, you just can't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
\

I could not have put it more eloquently. Great post.

He's right. It's not his job. But when you report something, your name is on it, and it's wrong, I have news for you Tomase: YOU WILL GET ALL THE BLAME!! :mad:
To hell with him and that filthy rag of a newspaper. I have no SYMPATHY for him. We fans went through hell because of that report. The TEAM went through HELL because of his report. Every Patriot player was booed at the PRO Bowl because of his report. Did he have any sympathy for the people that he hurt? Of course not, why would he? Afterall, he was only doing his job. Well it is MY JOB as a fan to choose to care or not to care about this jerk.
I choose not to care.
**** TOMASE. CRY ME A RIVER PAL!! :mad:

Last edited:

Fall guy...well..he is not the ONLY one at the Herald who should be in the hot seat now. Not his job to keep stuff out of the paper..but shouldn't he BE SURE what is in the papers is correct?? MANY had that similar story including Pats-hater Easterbrook...but then he could NOT get a second source and print it. Even HE had some ethics...
Think of this one..what if Tomasse had told the editors he was NOT comfortable with that being printed..and had some GUTS with that. I THINK if he had stood up to them he might have been a hero...but I find that totally out of character and more someone who would print anything to get looked at.
I really think this has to be investigated.

If he was gonna trust a source enough to go unnamed he should've demanded evidence to confirm it.
Well of course...but that makes so much sense...way past Tom-azzy's thought process.

We don't know if it is wrong yet. Walsh may say "yeah, we taped the walkthrough...i just don't have a tape". The real source also could have been telling the truth.

Wow, I really got the sense there that Tomase just heard it as a rumor back in September, when all that other defensive linemen microphones and all that came out. It just didn't sound like he had one solid source that he was relying on, but rather just hearing murmurs.

It was a pretty specific rumor, referencing the team picture and the "taper" riding back to the hotel on the media bus. Not the kind of details these "reporters" swap while sipping suds on the company teat.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down