Today in Patriots History: Demolition of Foxboro Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History: Demolition of Foxboro Stadium

John Morgan

On February 18, 2002 the demolition of Foxboro Stadium commenced. One month earlier the last game at the old stadium occured. Clutch field goals by Adam Vinatieri in a blinding snowstorm resulted in the Patriots defeating Oakland. That historic playoff ga

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Nice memory. I have a set of cufflinks that are from the last game that I keep meaning to put in some type of display box, but keep forgetting. I think they’d look nice on a shelf somewhere in the home office.

Nice memory. I have a set of cufflinks that are from the last game that I keep meaning to put in some type of display box, but keep forgetting. I think they’d look nice on a shelf somewhere in the home office.
What? You don’t have the other goalpost? Would look freakin’ awesome in the “home office.” Cuff links.

What? You don’t have the other goalpost? Would look freakin’ awesome in the “home office.” Cuff links.
Apparently, the wife just doesn’t love me enough to bring the goalpost into our home, but the cufflinks made from the seats are actually pretty neat. I want to say that they’re red, but I haven’t looked in awhile. They’re authenticated and in a low-numbered set, and I have a hobby where I collect different types of memorabilia, so I tend to geek out for this sort of thing. I definitely need a cool display box, like the ones for baseballs or hockey pucks.

Anyone lucky enough to be at the last game vs Oakland? I’m from out of town, but I remember where I was and what I was doing that Saturday night. Great memory. Beating the Steelers on the road the next week was even better.

Loved that old stadium. It had character and was loud unlike the new place. I was at the Snow Game. Many fond memories. We bought our seats too. I turned it into a bench for the patio.

Anyone lucky enough to be at the last game vs Oakland? I’m from out of town, but I remember where I was and what I was doing that Saturday night. Great memory. Beating the Steelers on the road the next week was even better.
Allow me....

I was there, along with probably many others on this board, and it was an incredible day/night/game. We got to the stadium around 3:30 and it started snowing shortly after, perhaps even as we were unloading my brother's truck to start our tailgate. We had 4 in our usual crew and we each had assigned "duties" to unload/setup - one guy assigned to each - the grill, the speakers (set up and connect to car radio), our flag poles (American Flag, Pats Flag, Italian Flag), table/chairs, cooler, etc. This was our 8th or 9th season as season ticket holders, so we had it down to a science by then.

Anyway, as we're unloading the snow starts (iirc), but this I'm sure of - these were some HUGE snowflakes, like so big that you could almost make out their geometric shape. It was not THAT cold out - there've been many other much colder games, and there wasn't much wind. All I remember is those massive snowflakes falling from the darkening Foxboro sky. By mid tailgate we've got accumulating snow in the parking lot (we always tailgated in Lot A, which was south of the stadium).

We go through our tailgating routines - we drank lots of beer, ate our usual menu of grilled chicken, steak tips, burgers, dogs - basic tailgate fare. And then we'd get our area going as one of us would "preach". I don't know how or why we started doing this, but one of our group would stand up on a cooler and basically get everyone's attention and pump up the area. Sometimes we'd burn a shirt or paraphenelia from the other team, but mostly it was just "The Pats are gonna beat the schitt out of such and such and blah blah blah" (we were in our early-mid 20s, it was fun, don't judge :) ). And after our preaching we'd play a song that keeps the area pumped up - usually Song 2 by blur or Machinehead by Bush (very popular high energy tunes at the time) as both made appearances on the in Foxboro stadium game day soundtrack.
By now it's time to break everything down and load up the truck. We always grabbed a "roadie" for the walk into the stadium. At the old stadium you had to walk up a hill (steepness depended on how hammered you were) from Lot A and other lots on the south side of the stadium, and I remember it being quite slippery from the now accumulated snow.

Now we're talking 18 years ago, so some of this may be foggy.

My seats were in 223, about the 5 or 10 yard line on the Pats sideline closest to the south end zone. IIRC, the game tying drive was going right to left in front of us. When the "tuck rule" play happened, and Oakland recovered the ball, many folks in our section got up and left. I sat there in several seconds of disbelief at what just transpired in front of my eyes. I was pissed. I turned to my left and said to my brother as I raised from the bench (bench seats back then) "let's get the **** outta here." And literally just that moment Walt Coleman announced "the previous play is under review". I still wanted to leave because there was no way that wasn't a fumble. My brother wanted to stay and hear the call. I agreed to stay. We couldn't believe the call reversal. It was an amazing turn of events. So then they go on and Vinatieri makes the most incredible kick in football history.

Pats get the kickoff and now they're moving to the end zone farther away from us. I remember there was a run by Antowain Smith around the right side in which it looked like he might be able to run it in for a td as the play was transpiring. But he got tackled for a 9 or 10 yard gain down inside the Oakland 10. At this point I'm thinking just don't fumble. When Vinatieri made the game winner it was absolute pandemonium - hugging guys you don't know in your section. It was insane.

After the game we did some more tailgating, sparked up the grill, drank some more, and my brother and I called our father from the parking lot as we always did. My brother dropped me off at my house maybe around 1 or 1:30 and I remember I watched SportsCenter highlights and commentary until 3 am. I still have the ticket stub from this game.

Good riddance, have some good memories from that place but there is no denying that place was a dump. Only thing I have against the new stadium is that open area. No idea why they did that as it effects the crowd noise. Really is a credit to the fans when they can get that place loud.

I was watching that game 25 miles away in a dark living room....on a 32" tube TV.....

Game for the ages.....

I won't miss the cold metal benches and the insane lines for the bathroom....hell I even had to pee downhill towards the old race track outside the bathroom through a chainlink fence because my next option was to pee in my pants....

Another memory/oddity of the old stadium...

As we would leave our seats/bench after the game, we'd exit the stadium proper at the first stairway to the runway/walkway abutting the stadium. There was a fence, maybe 6 feet high running along the length of this walkway. On the other side of the fence was a fairly steep hill leading down to the parking lot. Sometimes people would give up waiting to get to the front exit as the throngs left after the game, and they'd hop the fence. Every game someone would be schitfaced and fall off the fence and roll down the hill...

Also, the back doors to the many of the concessions opened up to this exit walkway...there was this one dude pretty close to the "end" of the stadium towards the route 1 side that'd give out papa gino pizzas to passers by. These are the litte "Junior Gino" pizzas (IIRC) that they used to sell at the stadium. I was the recipient of several of these through the years...

Allow me....

I was there, along with probably many others on this board, and it was an incredible day/night/game. We got to the stadium around 3:30 and it started snowing shortly after, perhaps even as we were unloading my brother's truck to start our tailgate. We had 4 in our usual crew and we each had assigned "duties" to unload/setup - one guy assigned to each - the grill, the speakers (set up and connect to car radio), our flag poles (American Flag, Pats Flag, Italian Flag), table/chairs, cooler, etc. This was our 8th or 9th season as season ticket holders, so we had it down to a science by then.

Anyway, as we're unloading the snow starts (iirc), but this I'm sure of - these were some HUGE snowflakes, like so big that you could almost make out their geometric shape. It was not THAT cold out - there've been many other much colder games, and there wasn't much wind. All I remember is those massive snowflakes falling from the darkening Foxboro sky. By mid tailgate we've got accumulating snow in the parking lot (we always tailgated in Lot A, which was south of the stadium).

We go through our tailgating routines - we drank lots of beer, ate our usual menu of grilled chicken, steak tips, burgers, dogs - basic tailgate fare. And then we'd get our area going as one of us would "preach". I don't know how or why we started doing this, but one of our group would stand up on a cooler and basically get everyone's attention and pump up the area. Sometimes we'd burn a shirt or paraphenelia from the other team, but mostly it was just "The Pats are gonna beat the schitt out of such and such and blah blah blah" (we were in our early-mid 20s, it was fun, don't judge :) ). And after our preaching we'd play a song that keeps the area pumped up - usually Song 2 by blur or Machinehead by Bush (very popular high energy tunes at the time) as both made appearances on the in Foxboro stadium game day soundtrack.
By now it's time to break everything down and load up the truck. We always grabbed a "roadie" for the walk into the stadium. At the old stadium you had to walk up a hill (steepness depended on how hammered you were) from Lot A and other lots on the south side of the stadium, and I remember it being quite slippery from the now accumulated snow.

Now we're talking 18 years ago, so some of this may be foggy.

My seats were in 223, about the 5 or 10 yard line on the Pats sideline closest to the south end zone. IIRC, the game tying drive was going right to left in front of us. When the "tuck rule" play happened, and Oakland recovered the ball, many folks in our section got up and left. I sat there in several seconds of disbelief at what just transpired in front of my eyes. I was pissed. I turned to my left and said to my brother as I raised from the bench (bench seats back then) "let's get the **** outta here." And literally just that moment Walt Coleman announced "the previous play is under review". I still wanted to leave because there was no way that wasn't a fumble. My brother wanted to stay and hear the call. I agreed to stay. We couldn't believe the call reversal. It was an amazing turn of events. So then they go on and Vinatieri makes the most incredible kick in football history.

Pats get the kickoff and now they're moving to the end zone farther away from us. I remember there was a run by Antowain Smith around the right side in which it looked like he might be able to run it in for a td as the play was transpiring. But he got tackled for a 9 or 10 yard gain down inside the Oakland 10. At this point I'm thinking just don't fumble. When Vinatieri made the game winner it was absolute pandemonium - hugging guys you don't know in your section. It was insane.

After the game we did some more tailgating, sparked up the grill, drank some more, and my brother and I called our father from the parking lot as we always did. My brother dropped me off at my house maybe around 1 or 1:30 and I remember I watched SportsCenter highlights and commentary until 3 am. I still have the ticket stub from this game.
My seats were in sec. 204. The snow was like feathers and piled up vertically on people's heads and shoulders. I remember short catches by Wiggins, Patten and Troy Brown comprising much of the Pats offense while field conditions hindered the explosiveness of Oakland's Jerry Rice and Tim Brown. The trajectory of Vinatieri's game-tying kick was so low and it was snowing so hard we couldn't tell he made it 'til the refs' arms went up. Of course, those were the days before metal detectors at the entry gates: one guy a few rows down from us had two aerosol air horns he held up and blasted whenever Oakland had the ball. I still have a souvenir hat I bought at that game embroidered with the date and team logos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down