OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

PUP Gronk or not?

• Yes,PUP him,take no chances - we will do fine without him until late October

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No,take him off the PUP if he appears O.K. - need him now for Cincy,Atlanta

Votes: 39 73.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me, putting Gronk on ice for six weeks is a no-brainer. He had nothing resembling an off-season program. He's skinny, he needs more time to get strong and ease back into a groove. This will be a playoff team and he'll be important for the stretch run.

He cannot do that while practicing with the team?

I'd rather see him practicing with the team when he is able, whether that is in 2 weeks or in 5 weeks, the sooner he can get in the groove the better. The longer you keep him away (7 weeks) the longer it takes to get back in shape.

If he practiced with the team then he cant go on pup at all.

I think they'll pup him and hell be back about week 7 or 8.

So do you think we will stop practicing him and put him on the PUP?

I say take him off PUP, and keep on the sidelines. That way he can at least practice if his condition permits. And if the progress is very good, we may be able to utilize him even before the PUP deadline.

I say take him off PUP, and keep on the sidelines. That way he can at least practice if his condition permits. And if the progress is very good, we may be able to utilize him even before the PUP deadline.

Agreed. I just don't understand the logic of putting him on PUP if he's physically able to perform (or practice in this case). The guy is going to get a spot on the 53 anyway. Let him practice with the team in the first six weeks and get up to speed. After the first two weeks, there's a very tough slate of games on docket for this team. Too many people are taking wins for granted. The team may, and very well will, need Gronk for those games. If he can go within the first six weeks of the season, PUPing him is borderline ******ed.

Agreed. I just don't understand the logic of putting him on PUP if he's physically able to perform (or practice in this case). The guy is going to get a spot on the 53 anyway. Let him practice with the team in the first six weeks and get up to speed. After the first two weeks, there's a very tough slate of games on docket for this team. Too many people are taking wins for granted. The team may, and very well will, need Gronk for those games. If he can go within the first six weeks of the season, PUPing him is borderline ******ed.

Not to mention, if we put him on PUP and the guy can’t practice until week 7, it will take him at least another 2 weeks to get into football shape (taking hits). At that point, it would have been almost a year since he last played. Keep him off the PUP.

So do you think we will stop practicing him and put him on the PUP?

He's not technically practicing, as far as I know. He's rehabbing an injury. Not practicing "with the team".

I wonder if he can run routes etc. with pads on and still remain on PUP.

If I'm not mistaken, that would be considered 'practicing with the team'

He's not technically practicing, as far as I know. He's rehabbing an injury. Not practicing "with the team".

Ok I thought he was practicing with the team, I just read a story about it and you correct he was rehabbing not practice. Also I don't think he has was in any pads. A new story just came out today saying Gronk is on track to stay of the PUP, he is the link Rob Gronkowski on track to stay off Patriots' PUP list - NFL - Sporting News

Unless there are undisclosed serious medical complications, Do NOT PUP. Let him continue to build muscle mass in the gym and work his way onto the practice field with the team when judged ready, a timeframe I believe is considerably in advance of week 6+. Then after a couple weeks on field contact practice, have him play in a game to adjust to game speed. Next game Gronk is really back.

There is no reason he hasn't been able to do good weight training for the lower body already this sumer and also lighter weight, martial arts style training for the arms and upper body with gradual increases.

As supafly said, Jason-Pierre Paul underwent a similar surgery 2 weeks before Rob did and JPP will probably play in week 1. So just off the basis of extrapolation that puts Rob on track to play in week 3. If not, then the worse case scenario is week 4.

The difference is JPP didn't have multiple forearm surgeries going back to last season. I can see Gonk being 'ready' for the 4th game but not at 100%.

Poll closed:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Patriots will carry TE Rob Gronkowski on their 53-man roster and not place him on PUP, per league sources.

Poll closed:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Patriots will carry TE Rob Gronkowski on their 53-man roster and not place him on PUP, per league sources.

chuffed.gif

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back