PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TMZ reporting the passing of Kobe Bryant

I can't believe that you mentioned getting a shock in a story about an 8th grade science teacher. I have a vivid memory of my 8th grade science teacher in 1963 using a small generator (very similar looking to a pencil sharpener) to do a similar experiment.

He had the whole class form a circle and hold hands. He then put a lead from the generator into the hands of the kids on each end with instructions that nobody should let go. When he started to slowly turn the handle there was one kid who decided to let go anyway. He and the kid he let go of both got shocked.

The teacher then took each of us individually and had us hold the leads as he shocked each one of us. Luckily, I got mine late enough to learn that if I didn't grip the lead tightly it would fly out of my hand as my body convulsed. It did.

Imagine what would happen to a teacher that would do that now?

Wow, that is crazy!!!

I can't believe that you mentioned getting a shock in a story about an 8th grade science teacher. I have a vivid memory of my 8th grade science teacher in 1963 using a small generator (very similar looking to a pencil sharpener) to do a similar experiment.

He had the whole class form a circle and hold hands. He then put a lead from the generator into the hands of the kids on each end with instructions that nobody should let go. When he started to slowly turn the handle there was one kid who decided to let go anyway. He and the kid he let go of both got shocked.

The teacher then took each of us individually and had us hold the leads as he shocked each one of us. Luckily, I got mine late enough to learn that if I didn't grip the lead tightly it would fly out of my hand as my body convulsed. It did.

Imagine what would happen to a teacher that would do that now?
yes-definitely-awesome-meme.jpg

Wow, that is crazy!!!

The guy was a nutjob.

He did have a great sign on the wall behind his desk that I can also still picture today;
[PLAN AHEAD]

Interesting video by a YouTuber who aligns ATC-to-pilot communications with radar screen for all sorts of situations. Doesn't tell us much we didn't already know, but might be worth a look to those who wanted to hear the conversation.

Quite a bit to unpack in this one.

1. What applies to Kobe that makes him “damn lucky he was good with a ball in his hand” that quite literally doesn’t apply to nearly every other athlete in maybe the history of American team sports?

Would we even know of Clemente’s humanitarian efforts, especially given the time he lived, were it not for his sport “celebrity”?

2. Kobe is the MJ to the people who didn’t see MJ play. I was 15 the last time MJ won a title. There are kids in college today who never saw him with the Bulls. Watch the reaction of MSU’s Cassius Marsh last night when Tom Izzo tells him on the floor post game about the news.

I don’t know many people who would describe kids in college as “a generation of people who now feel age creeping in”

On the other hand, if I represent the age cohort where the divide of MJ and Kobe exists....I turned 37 on Friday... so... OK Boomer?
Put it this way, if you were born in the late 80's to mid 90's (so pretty much the bulk of the 20 and 30 somethings which is what most media is geared towards) you were very young and probably caught at best the tail end of peak of Jordan and then Kobe and Shaq were the basketball stars winng rings when you were a preteen/teenager. Or better comparison, all the people who say they were the perfect age to watch Brady, were also the perfect age to watch Kobe. Dominant in the early to mid 2000's and was the star who really helped transition eras in their respective sports.

I need to move on from this because it’s bringing me down, but I’m tortured thinking about those last few seconds as he knew that his greatest treasure in the world would perish and not get to realize all the dreams that he obviously had for her. Sickening.

Put it this way, if you were born in the late 80's to mid 90's (so pretty much the bulk of the 20 and 30 somethings which is what most media is geared towards) you were very young and probably caught at best the tail end of peak of Jordan and then Kobe and Shaq were the basketball stars winng rings when you were a preteen/teenager. Or better comparison, all the people who say they were the perfect age to watch Brady, were also the perfect age to watch Kobe. Dominant in the early to mid 2000's and was the star who really helped transition eras in their respective sports.

That was my point, minus the goofy sarcasm I went for which, without the tone of my voice, read like I was attacking mosi (which as I told him in a follow up post, was not my intent).

I'm the late 30s guy in a group of friends who are all early to late 40s. Their "sports fandom" lies more with the MJ era than the Kobe era. Anyone between my age and the kids in college today had Kobe as the repeat winner, all time great, generational talent in their formative years. LeBron is there too, but as someone else said quoting an NBAer (I think I saw it here). "If you wanted to play and have fun, play with LeBron. If you wanted to play and win, play with Kobe."

I need to move on from this because it’s bringing me down, but I’m tortured thinking about those last few seconds as he knew that his greatest treasure in the world would perish and not get to realize all the dreams that he obviously had for her. Sickening.

I think the last few seconds are filled with 'oh f*ck, oh sh*t' and no relatively coherent thoughts to speak of'

To me, while Kobe Bryant dying is a huge story, the bigger story in this case is 8 passengers dying, including three 13-yr olds. Yes, he died and his daughter died, but the fact that several other families including kids also got crushed in a flight he arranged should mute the hero-worship for now. Not saying it was Kobe's fault, but this is a tremendous tragedy way bigger than just Kobe.

I can sort of understand the pilot deciding it was OK to take off, as the fog wasn't bad in that area and maybe it would clear further north. But LA police choppers weren't flying, so he had to have a plan B in mind. As he got half way and then 3/4's into the flight and was encountering heavy fog, and with 3 young kids as passengers, call it a day and land in a field somewhere. The plan A/"may clear" wasn't panning out, and there were plenty of chances to bail.

This was a very experienced pilot, I just can't understand the risk he took.

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned upthread...

The coach who died on the flight has a son who is a Red Sox scout. JJ Altobelli lost his father, stepmother and younger sister on that flight.

Regards,
Chris

NTSB briefing same time as yesterday.

Still can't believe in this tragic event.

ChocolateChip @bluelionesss

1f64f-1f3fe.png
RIP to these young Angels .
Gigi , Payton & Alyssa
2764.png
#kobe#gigibryant #RIPMamba

This is so incredible heartbreaking. So many lives effected !
This has effected me like very few celebrity deaths before .

I’m so much more disturbed by this than Kobe dying. Both are tragic but this is impossible to ever get over. The families will ultimately learn to live with the death of the adults who perished, but it’s impossible to come to terms with these three passing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back