PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tinkering With The Roster Before The Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bennett can net us some help on the OL/TE I’m all for it. But if all we can get is a late rounder I would hold on to him.

Overall I would agree unless moving him was about cap flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved as part of the rare player for player swap for a TE or WR.

If Bennett can net us some help on the OL/TE I’m all for it. But if all we can get is a late rounder I would hold on to him.

If you can move him as part of a trade for Austin Hooper or OJ Howard, I agree. For just cap reasons, it doesn't move the needle.

Overall I would agree unless moving him was about cap flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved as part of the rare player for player swap for a TE or WR.

The way they underutilize the TE in Tampa, I would welcome a Bennett for Howard swap depending if Tampa needs DL help.

If Bennett is injured, then I withdraw the speculation. :)

However, if he is injured, I'm not sure why he played for even 11 reps, especially the 8 reps in garbage time.
Here's the thing that makes a Bennett trade WILDLY speculative. It's simple. He's been very efficient on the plays he's played in. He's been good.

Now I've been on the "game management" bandwagon from the start. And I do admit the 11 snaps vs the Giants was curious. But to go from a curious snap count to assuming he's about to be traded is WAY past speculation, especially given BB recent remarks about him.

Look for the Pats to fill that FB role from within the current roster. Maybe Izzo and/or some OLman. As sciz pointed out, doesn't look like there is much out there on the FB landscape.

I expect the Pats to fill that offensive roster spot with Ben Watson. It makes just too much sense with Lacosse on the shelf again. Brady is happy, the locker room is better, and there is no one better out there for the short term.

But in the end all our immediate TE woes COULD be solved by a quick trip to TB for Brate or Howard. I'm thinking a 2020 3rd and a 2021 2nd would be enough to pry Howard out of Florida. Arians has never been one to get the most out of a TE, and Howard has been far from the impact player he was expected to be coming out of college....for whatever reason. 2 premium picks and a change of scenery could be the ticket for both teams.

Biggest needs.

1. WR - A serious threat and not another project.
2. K - You cant risk giving away points.
3. FB - Still not convinced its all no blocking with Sony.
4. TE - Until Gronk returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick