PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For A Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think WAAAAYYY too much is made of BB drafting prowess. When we had a talent less team it was easy to pick a player and plug him in. But what is totally missed is that BB the COACH is taking UDFA and a few select lower round picks and putting them in positions to succeed on the field. Is it really "smart" to draft a guy like Edleman, Cassel, or even Brady or is it simply providing the environment that these lumps of clay can be FORMED into football players? Personally I think BB gets off in finding the diamonds in the rough. I think alot of coaches and personnel guys can plug and play better than BB. But I think this is his heavy handed approach, I think he doesnt trust his scouts, and he's the guy in college that would rather have 5 2s than 1 "10". He is OK with not being popular, and few can argue with his results on the field. Additionally I think he tries to stay away from the "star" system as much as possible. He would rather have 5 guys getting 5 sacks each than 2 guys with 13 because its harder to defend 5 guys than 2.....and its ALOT cheaper too. His UDFA and reclamation project FAs have made his team what it is, that and his COACHING.
Taking guys like Wright(FA), Pryor(7th?), Love(7th?)and Deaderick(7th) and mixing them with former 1st rounders Wilfork, Warren, Ellis, Carter, Anderson, and even Haynesworth is the ultimate example of BBs team building phylosophy I think most would agree. 1 star, 5 reclamation projects and 4 over achievers. Everyone replaceable and the has beens teaching up the younger guys so they PLAY like 2nd or 3rd round picks. Its not where you are picked after all, its the contributions on the field that count.

I haven't followed this thread and I haven't read through it. But I'm going to chime in anyways. ;)

What does the record of the last decade have to do with the drafting record? We have probably the highest percentage of undrafted and day 3 guys in the league. If the guys you draft don't pan out you have to fill the roster with something. BB is an amazing coach as we all know. And he gets the best out of many players the rest of the league overlooked or gave up on. And that artificially makes his drafting look better than it is.

Think of it like this: If the butcher screws up and sends Gordon Ramsay only hamburger instead of filet mignon. Ramsay can still make a pretty delicious meal (after throwing a temper tantrum<g>). That doesn't mean the butcher didn't screw up in the first place. If the butcher had sent filet mignon instead the meal would have been even better.

1 ~ Those Who See No Wrong

These folks are distinguished by such statements as:

"In Bill We Trust."

"Tom Brady is GOD."

"If you don't think Bill is PERFECT, you're an idiot."

I'm clearly in this category. I do wish he would run the ball more, teach the corner backs to turn and look for the ball, oh and get a pass rusher. However, perfection is difficult and BB seems as close to it as we will see coaching our team.

There are ~ and have always been, and will always be ~ 3 kinds of fans, just as their are 3 kinds of political philosophies, every where in the world, and even here in New EngLand, which is blessed with an Heritage unique and unrivaled in the Galaxy, but is no more immune to the infestation of the Ignorant, than is any other place on the Globe:

1 ~ Those Who See No Wrong

"In Bill We Trust."

"Tom Brady is GOD."

"If you don't think Bill is PERFECT, you're an idiot."

2 ~ Those Who See No Right

"Bill is an IDIOT."

"Tom Brady SUCKS."

"Gresh and Feltcher are intelligent men who offer insightfull analysis."

3 ~ The Rational Few Who Admire But Thoughtfully Criticize

These folks are distinguished by:

Charm.

Brilliance.

Stunning good looks. :D

I am in the third catagory, but I must admit that I have been very critical of GM Bill this season. His insistence on playing the year without a defensive backfield cost the Pats a Super Bowl title. His insistence on not drafting a pass rusher cost the Pats a Super Bowl this year. His insistence on relying on slow recievers cost the Pats a Super Bowl this year. Fix any one of the three and the Pats win two weeks ago.

This was Bill's most impressive coaching job. Can you imagine being one drop away from winning the Super Bowl with this defense? It was easily the worst defense I have ever seen on a playoff team. They couldn't stop people when they needed to stop them, they couldn't rush the passer in important situations and they made stupid mistakes at the worst possible moment in the game. Oh yeah, the Patriots won 15 games this year! That is FIFTEEN GAMES, ONEFIVE, which is a whole sh!tload of games in the NFL.

I give Coach Bill an A+, and GM Bill a solid D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick