PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Weeks Left Of The "Season"

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In 3 1/2 weeks, free agency will begin. The team has done quite a bit so far.

THE OFFSEASON SO FAR
1) replaced the OC, quarterback coach and TE coach
2) signed 14 players to futures contracts (primarily the 2022 Practice Squad)
3) decided not to sign the ERFA's
4) re-signed Tavai (a key STer, and an OK emergency backup LB)
5) re-signed Slater (one of our top two special teamers)
6) re-signed a backup OT (seriously needed)

BEFORE OFFICIAL FREE AGENCY
We have fewer key decisions than normal, with more than the normal amount of cap money available.

I suspect that PEPPERS will be the next re-sign.

The only really key decisions are at WR and CB. I expect that JONES and MEYERS will use the 2-day period before the season starts to get a sense of what they are worth. Then, HOPEFULLY, they will re-sign.

We also have decisions on
A) HARRIS (I'm not sure we are ready to count on both Strong and Kevin Harris)
B) backup ST/LB's WILSON and MITCHELL
C) backup DL DAVIS
D) what to tender RFA BRYANT (an OK backup CB) who played too much last season
E) what to tender RFA EKUALE
F) who if anyone to sign on Day One from other teams
G) whether to have MCCOURTY sign a new contract, again with void years (he can choose whether to retire later in the offseason)

The NFL combine starts the 28th.

I would say that Damien Harris is as good as gone. That's why BB drafted 2 more RBs. BB really has been on a hot streak finding good RBs as of late so Im pretty confident that Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris will be good to go.

I want to see Marcus Jones moved to the offense in 2023.

THE OFFSEASON SO FAR

We have fewer key decisions than normal, with more than the normal amount of cap money available.

The only really key decisions are at WR and CB. I expect that JONES and MEYERS will use the 2-day period before the season starts to get a sense of what they are worth. Then, HOPEFULLY, they will re-sign.

C) backup DL DAVIS
G) whether to have MCCOURTY sign a new contract, again with void years (he can choose whether to retire later in the offseason)
+ what to do at K and P.

Folk did a lot for us but it’s time.

I hope Peppers does sign for us again. Not sure if anything will happen on the first day or so of FA. Think we need to get the "do something" meme ready

I hope Peppers does sign for us again. Not sure if anything will happen on the first day or so of FA. Think we need to get the "do something" meme ready
Agreed on Peppers. Not the best db in the league but was a good overall signing... With the mccourty decision looming, be nice to have some consistency in the safety position...

+ what to do at K and P.

Folk did a lot for us but it’s time.
Folk did a LOT better than "fine". In 3 full seasons with the Pats he has had conversion percentages of 92, 92, 86. The man has missed 4 FG's between 40-49 over those THREE years, and has been 11 of 16 over 50.

No he is never going to kick a 60yd FG, BUT inside 53, he has been as good as any FG kicker the Pats have had.....and they've obviously had some good ones. I can remember the days when getting a FG kicker who could make 60% of his kicks was considered very good. THIS guy is averaging 90%. Yeah sure, this is a guy you really need to replace. :rolleyes:

:)

"Do something" posts are part of the reason for this thread. Belichick has already done quite a bit.
===========
A Peppers signing wouldn't stop the "do something" folks. They require a first week signing that overpays at a position that they perceive as a need.

THE OFFSEASON SO FAR

C) backup DL DAVIS
Tavai played 50% of the defensive snaps. That’s not emergency backup. Despite crap he gets here from people who decided he sucked before he played, he had a pretty good season too.

Tavai played 50% of the defensive snaps. That’s not emergency backup. Despite crap he gets here from people who decided he sucked before he played, he had a pretty good season too.
fair enough

For me, Tavai is a fine signing even as a STer and an emergency backup.

But, yes, he played a more integral role in 2022.

So, yes, I'd be OK with Bentley, Tavai, McMillan and Wilson again (or 3 plus one additional tier 2 player or early draftee).

THE OFFSEASON SO FAR

C) backup DL DAVIS
I’ve been thinking about point G too. McCourty could do them a solid by “extending” for one year for close to the minimum and then retiring after June 1st to spread his void year cap hits over two seasons.

THE OFFSEASON SO FAR

C) backup DL DAVIS
You left out signing Adrian Klemm as Offensive Line Coach - a huge addition after the Matt Patricia debacle whose only contribution was to be Bill Belichick's greatest blunder since Ochocinco.

fair enough

For me, Tavai is a fine signing even as a STer and an emergency backup.

But, yes, he played a more integral role in 2022.

So, yes, I'd be OK with Bentley, Tavai, McMillan and Wilson again (or 3 plus one additional tier 2 player or early draftee).
Wilson being Mack Wilson? He was mentioned in another thread and it was pointed out, by @Sciz iirc, that he didn't play any defensive snaps in the last five games of '22... was relegated to special teams play only... i think his time in New England is over

Wilson being Mack Wilson? He was mentioned in another thread and it was pointed out, by @Sciz iirc, that he didn't play any defensive snaps in the last five games of '22... was relegated to special teams play only... i think his time in New England is over

He was not playing in Cleveland before he came here. Not sure where Wilson goes.

Winovich is a FA.

OK.

We need two LB/ST types. Last year, we had McMillan and Wilson. Both are UFA's.

I'm certainly fine with Belichick finder 2 better LB/STers.

How does Cam Achord still have a job? Just saw that he is one of the four staff members being sent to the Combine.

The NFL combine starts the 28th.

I would say that Damien Harris is as good as gone. That's why BB drafted 2 more RBs. BB really has been on a hot streak finding good RBs as of late so Im pretty confident that Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris will be good to go.

I want to see Marcus Jones moved to the offense in 2023.
Jones absolutely should be on offense and ST.. we don't need anymore midget CB's.. have to draft/sign 6"0 and up CBs , strong in my opinion is the 3rd down back.. I want rham fresher as the season wears on... those backs mentioned showed something this past season looking for them to contribute..

Mack Wilson would be worth resigning as a depth or rotational player.. he's had a year in the system I think he'd be useful

Agreed on Peppers. Not the best db in the league but was a good overall signing... With the mccourty decision looming, be nice to have some consistency in the safety position...
Peppers was a former pro bowler, he had the knee injury, and had to work his way back.. he is one of the better strong safeties in the league.. as he played more and more he was active.

Mack Wilson would be worth resigning as a depth or rotational player.. he's had a year in the system I think he'd be useful
to be honest? I don't care

he was an utter disappointment...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes