PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three ?'s for the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the "injury prone" label gets tossed around prematurely a lot by the fans in the NFL. Looking back a few years, Fred Taylor as "Fragile Fred", now he's been in a two-headed monster run offense. More and more teams go with a two-back system now then ever before and having a "feature back" is not as crucial. Look at D.McNabb in Philly, or his teammate B.Westbrook as well. Adrian Peterson in Minnesota. Anquan Boldin, etc. I'm sure 99% of you guys would love to have any of these players in the Pats uniform right now.

I think Maroney's strengths are not being utilized properly, i would like to see him on the flat more catching short passes and screens and give his speed a good look in the open field. I also think Maroney should be a 2nd half RB, he would be more effective against a tired D.

Calling Chad Jackson a bust is too gracious, he is the most disappointing draft pick in Patriots history.

I think Seymour is going to have a great year minus last week, he was very impressive the 1st 2 weeks, give it a chance and judge him after 8 to 10 more games.

Really, you don't think losing the best db ( in an already shaky) backfield is not a major issue?

Who exactly is going to replace hobbs if he goes down?

we have a rookie, Lewis Sanders.

there are two trains fo thought. can last weeks debacle get any worst?

i am a big hobbs supporter but it's funny how people go from hating him to loving him. so reactionary.

I agree with your views on Maroney but he started to make me feel different late last year. Still you are way more right than wrong about Maroney. And whatever progress I thought I saw from him late last year seems to have vanished in the first three games. and Chad Jackson you are 100% right about it is not even debatable he is a COMPLETE bust. As for Seymour I want to say it is debatable if you are right. There are questions about his play but last year he was hurt. Before the Miami game I would have said you were more wrong than right but then he looked horrible vs Miami. I think it is debatable whereas the other two you are right.

Last edited:
we have a rookie, Lewis Sanders.

there are two trains fo thought. can last weeks debacle get any worst?

i am a big hobbs supporter but it's funny how people go from hating him to loving him. so reactionary.

It could work, but you don't think there would be a large drop off in talent? I have never gotten on Hobbs, I think he is a solid player.

It could work, but you don't think there would be a large drop off in talent? I have never gotten on Hobbs, I think he is a solid player.

i do think there would be a drop off in talent, but that's the reality of injuries. it's been 3 games. what do we really know about the defense or the team in general?

you don't know until week 10 or so

the point was it wouldn't be the end of the world

jackson was cut, he did nothing for us equals bust...

sey is getting paid too much for the little things he does, he is replacable, and the money can and will go to improving other areas of the team....

maroney IS a starting-caliber back...and he is NOT injury prone...

also, he is not being used correctly

Ok, I don't get the Seymour bashing. Before the Dolphins game everyone was saying how dominant he looked now that he is totally healthy again. Now he is washed up, underachiever because of one game.

Sorry, but he was the old Seymour the first two games of the season and sucked against the Dolphins, but so did the rest of the defense. To say he plays well against the bad teams, but sucks vs. the good teams is BS at this point since the Pats have only played three games this year and he was dominant in two of them (he manhandled D'Brickishaw Ferguson so bad that I heard Ferguson's mother disowned her son).

I swear have never seen people overreact more based on one game. Every thread is another complaint how this team lacks talent, someone is too old, or some one is a bust. Based all on one game?!?

As for Maroney, he is injured a lot, but sometimes it could be a coach's decision not to rush him back into the game because he will be needed to be 100% down the stretch. I think RBs are partially a product of the o-line and I don't think this o-line blocks well for Maroney hence why he gets hit a lot before he even gets to the line. Too early to give up on him.

Jackson was obviously a bust. No other way to explain that. Has a million dollar body and a ten cent head.

Ok, I don't get the Seymour bashing. Before the Dolphins game everyone was saying how dominant he looked now that he is totally healthy again. Now he is washed up, underachiever because of one game.

Sorry, but he was the old Seymour the first two games of the season and sucked against the Dolphins, but so did the rest of the defense. To say he plays well against the bad teams, but sucks vs. the good teams is BS at this point since the Pats have only played three games this year and he was dominant in two of them (he manhandled D'Brickishaw Ferguson so bad that I heard Ferguson's mother disowned her son).

I swear have never seen people overreact more based on one game. Every thread is another complaint how this team lacks talent, someone is too old, or some one is a bust. Based all on one game?!?

I have been saying that Sey is past his prime, that Jackson was going to be a bust, and that maroney was injury prone long before the Miami game.

We had this debate about Maroney all of last season to the point of. "Do you think Maroney will have 100yard game" As a poll most people said no someone commented on it saying they didn't think he would have 100 between the 2 games he proved them wrong then.Hhe comes more to life in the second half of the season. He will need to be a part of a 2 back set all his career, why not just have him in the type of set we have now. As for not being able to teach a back to stop dancing around in the back field it can be done, it happen in high school and college all the time. Saying he will have not had the career of Addai when their careers are over I think is total rubbish I don't believe Addai could do half as well in a system where he needed to rush cause the pass offense couldn't get it done.

Jackson = Bust. I was often ridiculed for stating that Washington would be ahead of him on the depth chart. While Washington isnt starting with the offense, he at least makes a contribution on Special Teams. It speaks volumes that no other team has taken a chance on Jackson

Seymour = Too expensive for his production. If he is willing to renegotiate his contract, then maybe keep him around. But there is no doubt that he has not shown his pre-injury form

Maroney = ?? No doubt he has been hurt....alot....But he had a hell of a run up to the superbowl last year. When he's healthy, he could be a starter in the league. But he is hurt soooo often.

I still think it is funny that they hadd all tese debates last year during a 16-0 season now all te haters are back at it again.

I also think it is funny that the OP is named patslifer but has yet to say anything positive from what i have seen so to end what i am saying is this.

Don't feed the trolls

Like I said comparing Brady's 2001 season to Cassels is simply ridiculous

Brady showed leadership,even in that loss in his 2nd game that year despite the stats you dug up

Get this through your head - Brady despite losing 5 games that year showed LEADERSHIP as a QB which was crucial to that team winning games
- Cassel is a FOLLOWER who is in to manage games as long as the score remains close and not out of reach

Its an insult to Brady to compare what he did that year to what you think Cassel is going to come close to duplicating - The quarterback does not play all positions but can very well be detrimental to the teams attittude and how fierce they play when he is on the field and how much confidence they have in the player who holds the most important position on the team.

Not to mention that season we had a resurgence of a young Bruschi,McGinest and a developing DE in seymour along with Ty Law who was incredible that year and Lawyer Milloy who was a young Rodney Harrison then

Bruschi is aged,Mcginest is gone and Seymour is playing out his contract -

You can only hope that some of the JAGS like O'Neal can contribute

-O'Neal,Hobbs and Meriweather will never be confused with the 2001 tandem of Law,Otis Smith and Milloy

Just stop the comparisons,its getting out of hand

2001 Magical season is OVER, this is 2008 different season,many different players many different things will happen down the road both good and bad so GET OVER IT!!!

I guess you will go so far as to expect a miracle snow bowl game this year as well if you want to compare seasons.

:agree:
comparing stats takes away what Brady's strength is: a drive to never lose, leadership, and execution under pressure.
If we look just at stats, Carson Palmer is a better QB than Brady.
But of course when you are arguing with someone who only started following the Pats this year, stats is all they have.

Last edited:
LM - He is what he is (sometimes it helps to back to fundlemental wisdom).

If LM has more than one option in his decision, he's done. If it is only one cut - he's off for a larger gain. It's beautiful when it happens.

Jackson - Really? Still on about this? People have a dream receiver in mind and put Jackson into that dream. He wasn't it. People can't accept that he was what he was. (2!)

Sey - The attitude you want from a player. But I agree with some who see a decline. It could be age. It could be his knees. It could be the lack of LB pressure. I want to see how he and the defense plays the rest of the year.

I more or less agree Re: Maroney. I was withholding judgment on Jackson, because it typically takes WRs some time to produce in the NFL, but the league consensus at this point on him is pretty clear. With Seymour, I don't think there's any doubt that he's not the player he once was, but he's still a really good 3-4 DE. I don't see any reason to cut him/

Maroney has had some outstanding moments for the Pats. It's frustrating that he doesn't have more. Personally, I prefer smash mouth runners like Dillon.

Jackson = inarguable bust. I was never a fan of his.

I like what I've seen from Seymour this year. Maybe he won't be quite as great as he was a few seasons ago, but I think he will have a great season based on his performances in wks 1 and 2.

Maroney - agree w/ your opinion. He's too injury prone & when he's in there, if there isn't a big hole that he hits immediately he goes down on first contact. I don't understand why they don't try the sweep with him more as I think he fares better when he goes outside. Maybe that is a problem with the O line.

Jackson - agree. He was a bust. I have been saying it for 2 years. In preseason where there were lots of threads about what we could get in a trade for him I said he'd either show them something in training camp and squeak onto the roster, or he'd be cut. No one was looking for his services.

Seymour - agree again that he is a shell of his former self. I have also said I don't think he's dogging it; I think his knees have given out. He has looked a little better in the first two games this year (against bad teams) and he looked as bad as everyone else against Miami. Let's see how he looks for the rest of the year. I also agree that unless he's willing to take a big pay cut, I can't see the team resigning him. He'll get a bigger contract elsewhere based on reputation, then we'll hear all about another Pats player who went to another team and couldn't cut it.

I have been saying that Sey is past his prime, that Jackson was going to be a bust, and that maroney was injury prone long before the Miami game.

Except other than the Dolphins game, Seymour has been proving you wrong. He has been a force the first two of three games. Even steady forces like Wilfork and Warren played like crap vs. the Dolphins so I am willing to give Seymour a mulligan for that game.

If Seymour continues to play like he did vs. the Chiefs and Jets for the rest of the year, he is worth every penny he is getting paid because he has will have been playing at an All Pro level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back