PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This needs to be addressed: What kicker will the Pats Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My guess is unfortunatly Paul Edinger. I hope they go after Josh Brown, Although I don't know what the Compensation would be.

Seattle is very likely to match any Brown offer. I'd just bring in three good legs and let them compete. Unless we're paying $3M for a top kicker, there's a lot of kickers who have solid legs that could be had for league minimum.

they should just draft that kowski guy.. i cant remember his full last name..

We talked about this on our latest show. It appears that New England has a decent scout when it comes to kickers (see: Phil Dawson, Owen Pochman, Robbie Gould). I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats pick up a rookie free agent or late round draftee to fill the void. No telling what the Pats will do, but it seems to me that if they were seriously interested in a player like Edinger, they would make a move for him fairly soon.

Chris said:
they should just draft that kowski guy.. i cant remember his full last name..

Memphis's Stephen Gostkowski?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/k/stephengostkowski.html

Positives: Has a strong enough leg... Accurate and is money in the bank from 40 yards and in... Very productive... Consistent and extremely reliable... Was a four-year starter.

Weaknesses: Was not put in many high-pressure situations... Never devoted his full attention to football...

BB and Pioli learned their lesson from the Jabari Holloway experiment.

I think Edinger is a good K. Those that don't can you give some reasons?

AndyJohnson said:
I think most of us are OK with him, it's just a matter of what $$$ he would want and whether he's worth it vs. a minimum salary guy. His 40+ numbers are very good, for some reason he has bad 30-39 numbers the last two years. Is it just one of those things or does he have some kind of mental block in that range ? His 3-8 in that range last year isn't going to work for us.

ya

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
I think Ray Finkle might be available.....
:rofl:

If they can't get brown, then i am in favor of drafting a kicker!

AndyJohnson said:

Andy -

I liked Edinger too. And then I started looking at how he's performed recently and I was appalled.

In 2005, Edinger was 3-8 in kicks from 30-39 yards last year, but 8-10 from 40-49 yards and 3-5 from 50+. His kicks avg. 63 yards, but 8 games were in the dome of Minnesota. Edinger also failed to record a touchback.

In 2004, Edinger was 2-5 from 30-39 yards, 4-7 from 40-49 yards, and 3-5 from 50+. His kicks were a paltry 60 yards and he failed to record a touchback.

Needless to say, I'd rather bring in Josh Huston or Steven Gostkowski. Especially since many of us were complaining about the fact that the returners from the opposing team were always starting from between the 7-10 yard line with Adam kicking the ball.

Last edited:
On EEI they mentioned that according to Edinger's agent there were 2 1/2 teams interested in him.....the 1/2 was a team that was deciding whether to go young or not....they were thiinking this was the Pats.

There going to draft one in the 5th or 6th round a rookie at this point is the best option with what is left.

There are 8 kickers in nfl Europe look at them.
After all thats where Adam came from

DaBruinz said:
Andy -

I liked Edinger too. And then I started looking at how he's performed recently and I was appalled.

In 2005, Edinger was 3-8 in kicks from 30-39 yards last year, but 8-10 from 40-49 yards and 3-5 from 50+. His kicks avg. 63 yards, but 8 games were in the dome of Minnesota. Edinger also failed to record a touchback.

In 2004, Edinger was 2-5 from 30-39 yards, 4-7 from 40-49 yards, and 3-5 from 50+. His kicks were a paltry 60 yards and he failed to record a touchback.

Needless to say, I'd rather bring in Josh Huston or Steven Gostkowski. Especially since many of us were complaining about the fact that the returners from the opposing team were always starting from between the 7-10 yard line with Adam kicking the ball.

I thought Edinger would be good as well and I was aware of those numbers that you posted regarding his accuracy at 30- 39 yds. Not good there, I guess. But I thought his kickoffs were alot deeper than AV. He consistantly put the ball in the endzone. If the player can bring the ball out and avoid a touchback isn't that more attributed to special teams ability or lack thereof, to contain.
Anyways, another strike against Edinger was that he choked for the Bears in big game kicks. I'm not positive but I think that may have been the reason the Bears let him go.

If the Pats really wanted this guy, they would have signed him by now, I think.

Not being an NFL scout, I'll just have to trust Belioli to come up with the right kicker.

Hey. This is my 100th post.(Pats self on back)LOL

I think we'll see a batch of kickers brought in from anywhere for training camp and the most productive and promising ends up with the job. Doesn't need to have a well known name, just has to kick adequately and accurately. If they improve the offense correctly, we shouldn't have to depend on a kicker to win the game. We should just have a kicker to give us good field position and to add to the lead! ;)

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
I think Ray Finkle might be available.....

LACES OUT!!!!!!! LACES OUT!!!!! :rocker: :rocker:

363839 said:
I thought Edinger would be good as well and I was aware of those numbers that you posted regarding his accuracy at 30- 39 yds. Not good there, I guess. But I thought his kickoffs were alot deeper than AV. He consistantly put the ball in the endzone. If the player can bring the ball out and avoid a touchback isn't that more attributed to special teams ability or lack thereof, to contain.
Anyways, another strike against Edinger was that he choked for the Bears in big game kicks. I'm not positive but I think that may have been the reason the Bears let him go.

If the Pats really wanted this guy, they would have signed him by now, I think.

Not being an NFL scout, I'll just have to trust Belioli to come up with the right kicker.

363839 -
The average kick yardage is determined by where the returner catches the ball. So, while Edinger might have had a few go into the endzone, his average is still only 63. Which means that the return man was, on average, starting at the 7 yard line.

As for touchbacks and how they are attributed, yes, if a return man brings it out, that is the fault of the coverage. However, I think that Edinger's problem is that he doesn't get enough hang time on his kicks. I noticed that the opposing team starts right around the 30 yard line whenever he kicks. Its not much different than Adam. But the fact he gets no TBs isn't a good thing in my opinion.

Well, by now I am pretty much sold off Edinger. Unless of course the Pats think they can coach him. But then again, there's a few hundred other guys they could do that to, and for less money
I just hope they can get somebody with a reasonable consistant range and can kick deep.

LOL.

Now, I'm post whoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes