PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This ****ing league (That Jeff Fisher challenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This still pisses me off.

This Video Of Jeff Fisher’s Challenge Flag Gaffe Vs. Patriots Is Pure Comedy

How the **** did they grant him the challenge when he couldn't even find the flag for a minute afterwards? They should not have allowed it. Yeah, we won the game, but it was the refs blatantly ignoring the rules.

Article 1. Coaches’ Challenge

In each game, a team will be permitted two challenges that will initiate Instant Replay reviews. The Head Coach will initiate a challenge by throwing a red flag onto the field of play before the next legal snap or kick.

It is simple. If he doesn't throw the flag before the next snap, no challenge can be initiated. He can't just say he's going to challenge it and not actually throw the flag.

There are a ton of stories laughing at the hilarity of the situation that it's easy to overlook that it actually cost us points. It was 2nd and 17 from midfield and that was ruled an incomplete catch. If Fisher doesn't find his flag and can't challenge, it's either a delay of game (2nd and 22), or they have to run the next play. Instead they get a 1st down and kick a 44-yard FG after the defense holds them to 7 yards.

Imagine if we had lost this game by 3 points or fewer. This wouldn't have been so funny. It was just the entire reffing crew blatantly ****ting on the rule book to **** us over. Hahahah Jeff Fisher is an idiot, but really, it's the refs that were a ****ing joke.

Come on it's not like everyone didn't know he was trying to challenge the play. I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is to make sure a play gets challenged in a timely manner and not to penalize an uncoordinated coach.

Last edited:
<sigh>

Attachments

• picard-facepalm-dear-god-please-let-the-season-start.jpg
    picard-facepalm-dear-god-please-let-the-season-start.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 10
Listen, we got the best QB, the best coach, the best coaching staff, the most Belichicks this millennium, all despite the league getting behind us the last few years. We are ****ing blessed hombre, blessed. Got to let that **** slide sometimes.

Ok, put an asterisk after the Rams' record, whatever the hell it was. 3-13*?

The NFL* is a joke for many reasons. This isn't one of them.

FYI... I've watched 3 episodes of All Or Nothing, waiting to see what made people think Fisher was a good coach.

Still waiting. o_O

FYI... I've watched 3 episodes of All Or Nothing, waiting to see what made people think Fisher was a good coach.

Still waiting. o_O

It's a results-based league, and Jeff Fisher can consistently produce a team that's roughly 8-8 year in and year out. If you owned a dumpster fire, there's real value in reaching steady mediocrity.

Of course, you should fire Fisher as soon as the talent base recovers, since that team will never progress much, but there's worse choices to coach a rebuild.

Not to mention, what the F did it really matter? I remember not even caring at the time because I knew the Pats were going to win the game anyway. The man didn't even know the RB corp. of our team, for crying out loud! It's one thing to not know in the off season or preseason, but A REGULAR SEASON GAME . . . ON THE WEEK YOU'RE PLAYING THAT TEAM?! He even looked like he rolled out of bed and just caught the team bus headed to the stadium in the nick of time that Sunday. C'mon, man. I'm convinced that was the final nail for him. I still don't get how one of his assistant coaches was so stunned in the video where he tells them he's been axed.

Fisher played in the secondary...took hundreds of massive hits to the head in his career as an NFL'er. What you're looking at is undiagnosed PTSD from all the concussions he obviously suffered. Just read about his last year as a head coach...in a fog, forgetting everyday normal routine stuff, erratic behaviour...he's a turnip.

He seems overtired, stoned, burned out, checked out, indifferent, constipated ... something. There's no explanation for why he coached as long as he did.

A long time ago......

Eddie George and Steve McNair were good

It kind of stuck through about fifteen or so 5-11 seasons

Come on it's not like everyone didn't know he was trying to challenge the play. I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is to make sure a play gets challenged in a timely manner and not to penalize an uncoordinated coach.

I don't care what he was trying to do, there are rules in place, and those rules were ignored.

If we are running a 2-minute drill late in the game and a receiver is caught in-bounds so we have to spike the ball to stop the clock, we can't just tell the ref we're going to do it, no matter how obvious it is. The players still have to get lined up and execute the play.

A challenge isn't as complicated, but it still requires a decision to be made and an action to be completed within a very specific timeframe. Fisher has 40 seconds to throw that flag onto the field. He clearly didn't know where it was, and wouldn't have found it within the allotted time.

So what justification is there to give him extra time to do so? There is none. He should have had to call timeout if he wanted to make the challenge, or lost the right. There's no reason he deserves anything extra.

Not to mention, what the F did it really matter? I remember not even caring at the time because I knew the Pats were going to win the game anyway. The man didn't even know the RB corp. of our team, for crying out loud! It's one thing to not know in the off season or preseason, but A REGULAR SEASON GAME . . . ON THE WEEK YOU'RE PLAYING THAT TEAM?! He even looked like he rolled out of bed and just caught the team bus headed to the stadium in the nick of time that Sunday. C'mon, man. I'm convinced that was the final nail for him. I still don't get how one of his assistant coaches was so stunned in the video where he tells them he's been axed.

So it only matters if it costs us the game?

I'm a process person. I know a lot of people only care about results. But if we had lost this game by 2 points, you'd be outraged. But if we win by a lot, you don't care.

But it shouldn't matter if we're up 20 or 2 or down by 7, the refs gave an unfair advantage to the Rams by doing this, and it ended up costing us points. There was no misunderstanding of the rules, it was simply a favour in the middle of a game for no reason.

And yeah, we won comfortably eventually, but at the time, that put them on the board trailing 17-3 with plenty of time left in the game. There was simply no reason to give Fisher extra time and opportunity to challenge a call that would cost us 17 yards and 3 points.

I get that Fisher is a moron and incompetent and all those things are true. But that doesn't mean the refs should cut him slack or give him extra chances to try and put up points on us.

I don't care what he was trying to do, there are rules in place, and those rules were ignored.

If we are running a 2-minute drill late in the game and a receiver is caught in-bounds so we have to spike the ball to stop the clock, we can't just tell the ref we're going to do it, no matter how obvious it is. The players still have to get lined up and execute the play.

A challenge isn't as complicated, but it still requires a decision to be made and an action to be completed within a very specific timeframe. Fisher has 40 seconds to throw that flag onto the field. He clearly didn't know where it was, and wouldn't have found it within the allotted time.

So what justification is there to give him extra time to do so? There is none. He should have had to call timeout if he wanted to make the challenge, or lost the right. There's no reason he deserves anything extra.

So it only matters if it costs us the game?

I'm a process person. I know a lot of people only care about results. But if we had lost this game by 2 points, you'd be outraged. But if we win by a lot, you don't care.

But it shouldn't matter if we're up 20 or 2 or down by 7, the refs gave an unfair advantage to the Rams by doing this, and it ended up costing us points. There was no misunderstanding of the rules, it was simply a favour in the middle of a game for no reason.

And yeah, we won comfortably eventually, but at the time, that put them on the board trailing 17-3 with plenty of time left in the game. There was simply no reason to give Fisher extra time and opportunity to challenge a call that would cost us 17 yards and 3 points.

I get that Fisher is a moron and incompetent and all those things are true. But that doesn't mean the refs should cut him slack or give him extra chances to try and put up points on us.
I still think the challenge was ok. The rule is there for a reason.,.to make a challenge known to an official and to let them know in an alloted time. If a coach asks for a time out and doesn't give the timeout signal I've seen refs grant time outs. Same kind of thing

"Being Jeff Fisher"...yup, I heard it went straight to VHS upon initial release...

Twitter-Rams-coach-Jeff-Fisher-on-Monday-fee84e.png

He has(had) such lovely hair though...

How the f.... did Fisher make it through 22 year as the HC of the Oilers/Titans/Rams??... Guess mediocrity is acceptable in some NFL circles..

He has(had) such lovely hair though...

How the f.... did Fisher make it through 22 year as the HC of the Oilers/Titans/Rams??... Guess mediocrity is acceptable in some NFL circles..

His coaching style was one of the patterns of parity the NFL* was trying to force on every team.

Isn't a verbal challenge part of the rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News