PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things are not going well for Matty P.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Man his trajectory seems to be matching Josh's just expedited.

Step 1 - Take over new team
Step 2 - Beat Belichick
Step 3 - Questionable trades
Step 4 - Give the press and fans a lot of fodder for hating you <--- He is here.
Step 5 - Flame out within 18 months.

I mean honestly, say what you want about the press, but a guy who looks like a hobo shouldn't be freaking lecturing the press about their posture when asking a question.

I only read a short article about the thing with the reporter, so I suppose it’s possible the guy is a totally disrespectful prick or there’s more behind it or something, but it struck me as a very weird battle to choose with the press.

The Patriots culture is a lot different then other teams. The example was set early on that the team leaders bought what Bill was selling and were all in. No other team does the star QB have to take **** from the head coach. If Bill can go at Brady and he can take it that means everyone can take it.

It’s not like that on other teams. A shock to their system when Patricia makes them do laps when they make a mistake. A shock to his system to see the entitlement they have. Unless they buy in he’ll be gone by the end of year 2.

Man his trajectory seems to be matching Josh's just expedited.

Step 1 - Take over new team
Step 2 - Beat Belichick
Step 3 - Questionable trades
Step 4 - Give the press and fans a lot of fodder for hating you <--- He is here.
Step 5 - Flame out within 18 months.

I mean honestly, say what you want about the press, but a guy who looks like a hobo shouldn't be freaking lecturing the press about their posture when asking a question.
Yeah he kinda had a kibbie there...

I only read a short article about the thing with the reporter, so I suppose it’s possible the guy is a totally disrespectful prick or there’s more behind it or something, but it struck me as a very weird battle to choose with the press.

Whenever I read something in the news that seems so ridiculous as to push the bounds of credibility I try to assume there's another side to the story that explains it.

It's like regulations that seem inane on the surface but then you read more about them and you learn that yes, they have to put that notice about not using brillo pads on your brown eye because some idiot did or something.

But this one even assuming that the guy was sending Matty P glitter poop in the mail it still was just a bizarre exchange. It's a press conference with a guy who looks like a young Santa it isn't a goddamn opera in the Queen's honor....

If he was winning it would be a sign of his brilliant attention to detail.

It's the sort of thing a guy does who's been on a winner his whole coaching career and is suddenly forced to be the spokesman for a losing team that's losing partly because of him.

And the coaching profession lends itself towards weird antisocial behavior. Football coaches are dealing with players all day and there's a weird dynamic of unearned forced obligations of respect between players and coaches that really only exists in like the military otherwise (and is equally unhealthy there, speaking from experience, though at least there's an ostensible justification in that case). Not surprising that sort of thing would spill over into other interactions, it's just that stuff is ultra weird outside of these pretty toxic employment subcultures.

I think an assistant coach from another team put it best: Belichick prepares his teams like no other, but at the end of the day, he's just guessing at it like the rest of us, while #12 picks apart defenses like no other and refuses to lose.

When I read about the Patriots insider who called Brady just another QB, my mind wandered to how all the Patriots assistants have fared without Brady at the helm over the years. I know Belichick is the best, but at the end of the day--he is a coach. And his record was not stellar before Brady. It's pretty hard to be a success without a stellar QB, and I'm sorry, but Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, Alex Smith, etc., these guys are not stellar.

@ 0:16 my favorite patricia scene

That's embarrassing look for Patricia. As bad as losing football games.

I found it to be a sort of strange type of pissing contest. Like he had to exert his dominance in the press conference by chastising a media member into sitting up straight.

It probably wasn’t the wisest course of action.

He's trying to do a Belichick shtick with neither the on-field success nor Bill's semi-humorous self-awareness.

Does this mean Josh McDaniels will be much more successful as our HC after BB retires? At least the players know McDaniels well, it's not like his first stint with the donkeys in which he instilled the BB philosophy and the players reacted poorly because McDaniels had no credentials.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back