PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's No Way Smoltz Makes This Team

Dice-K's issue is very simple: he played (dominated) in the World Baseball Classic and has dead arm right now, that was never allowed to rest.

Perhaps there should have been a better plan for Dice-K. However, there was no way the Sox tell him no to the WBC ... too much at stake there. Maybe he should have started the season in the bullpen? MLB needs to find a way to make some changes there but telling a guy he can't play for his country is not something any team should do.

How about if they sh!tcan the WBC altogether.

And interleague play too, the farse that they both are.

It's more than just Dead Arm Syndrome. Francona made it sound like he's gonna be out for a pretty long time.

It's more than just Dead Arm Syndrome. Francona made it sound like he's gonna be out for a pretty long time.

Well .. how long does it take to lose 20-30 pounds?

The first time on DL was dead arm...but this time it's something else, which is why I think it was something torn.

Well .. how long does it take to lose 20-30 pounds?

I doubt it's the weight...if it was he would have stunk worse or had a worse injury than dead arm back in April.

The smoltz era may be over before it begins ... where's Clay?

A guy this great to the game's history ... he would be way better off retiring.

IMO of course.

EDIT: 2 hit shutout by a rookie pitcher ... good grief Charlie Brown.

Last edited:
The smoltz era may be over before it begins ... where's Clay?

A guy this great to the game's history ... he would be way better off retiring.

IMO of course.

EDIT: 2 hit shutout by a rookie pitcher ... good grief Charlie Brown.
Let's just say I am questioning this acquisition at this point in time.

Let's just say I am questioning this acquisition at this point in time.

Let's just say you've got every right as a fan to question this acquisition; you also have the right to wonder when the **** they go to plan C and bring Clay up.

And this team has looked pathetic offensively for about two weeks now; to get shut out by that 4-7 5 plus era rag arm is embarassing.

Since blowing that 10-1 lead to the Nationals (oh sorry, Orioles; 6 of one, half dozen of another) they are 2-4 against some pretty sh!tass teams.

And to think I viewed the Nationals/Braves/Nationals (oops, there I go again; Orioles)/Mariners/A's/Royals prior to the all star break as a possible 15-3 run; at this point, I'd be happy with 11-7 and tied for first with the MFY's.

When does training camp start again?

6-2 Texas in the sixth
on back to back home runs. One of them by David Murphy.

Is this project over yet ... meanwhile Clay lives in an apartment in Rhode Island.

I'm not sure if I am blaming Tito or Smoltz right now for the debacle that is the 6th inning.

FFS Terry pull the pitcher when you can clearly see he is going downhill and pitching like a squib!

I'm not sure if I am blaming Tito or Smoltz right now for the debacle that is the 6th inning.

FFS Terry pull the pitcher when you can clearly see he is going downhill and pitching like a squib!

We posted at the same exact time ... :rofl:

Guess those HR's struck a nerve. :ugh:

We posted at the same exact time ... :rofl:

Guess those HR's struck a nerve. :ugh:
1 single, 1 double, 3 home runs and 1 inning. AT what point do you think, geez maybe the Texans are on top of Smoltz and he's throwing basketballs at them?

Play the percentages. Something we aren't doing of late.

1 single, 1 double, 3 home runs and 1 inning. AT what point do you think, geez maybe the Texans are on top of Smoltz and he's throwing basketballs at them?

Play the percentages. Something we aren't doing of late.

His fastball had dropped like 3mph before the homeruns started too....

26 pitches in the 1st inning ... Orioles lead 1-0.

This guy was too great a pitcher for this ... really.
I don't know how the Sox can get around this but he's done.
How do you let him go without damaging his greatness and pride ... that seems like the issue now.

Smoltz is safe until Wake comes back ... that's it.

He should just retire now ... he's guaranteed a place in Cooperstown anyways.

Last edited:
Smoltz is safe until Wake comes back ... that's it.

He should just retire now ... he's guaranteed a place in Cooperstown anyways.

He isn't filling in for Wakefield, he's been filling in for Dice-K. Bucholz is filling for Wakefield. I'm not seeing anything in Bucholz yet to show he can handle the load for the rest of the year to make Smoltz expendable, and if he isn't up to it they won't get rid of him with nobody to replace him.

He isn't filling in for Wakefield, he's been filling in for Dice-K. Bucholz is filling for Wakefield. I'm not seeing anything in Bucholz yet to show he can handle the load for the rest of the year to make Smoltz expendable, and if he isn't up to it they won't get rid of him with nobody to replace him.

5-0 Orioles ... Smoltz needs to retire and do the Sox a favor.

I'd rather see Michael Bowden or Junichi Tazawa at this point until Dice-K returns anyways.

:bricks: ... sheesh ... 6-0 now. This guy was too great for this ... doesn't he see this?

Last edited:
The Red Sox are getting exactly what they hoped they'd be getting out of Smoltz at this point; throw him out there every fifth day and it's an automatic win.

Too bad the automatic win is for the OTHER team, not the Sox.

Boy am I glad we went into the season with six starters; two are on the DL and one is over the hill.

And to think folks wanted to trade away Penny weeks ago.

I guess that is why Theo is the GM and not the fans...................

5-0 Orioles ... Smoltz needs to retire and do the Sox a favor.

I'd rather see Michael Bowden or Junichi Tazawa at this point until Dice-K returns anyways.

:bricks: ... sheesh ... 6-0 now. This guy was too great for this ... doesn't he see this?

Exactly. Time to pull the plug on Smoltz if he won't do the honorable thing and step down. Time for new blood, not old.

Perhaps Smoltz to the pen... he has been ok for a couple of innings at a time deos not appear to be able to handle > 4 innings at this point.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back