PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sporting News is at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a copy of The Sporting News Draft Guide yesterday. Having had time to read the write up's on the players but I have looked at their big board.

Want My. Cody with one of our 7th round comp picks? No problem he's ranked #251. And those of you worried about Odrick being gone before #22, don't worry - he ranked #60.

It could be tough to get Dekota Watson #37 or Thaddeus Gibson #16.:rofl:

I do enjoy reading their magazine for different takes from their "War Room".

I'll be honest.. I had to look up both names as I haven't gotten much past the top 60 prospects.. But, yeah.. umm.. they are a bit out there..
*pushes the Sporting News Crew to the middle of the room and yells" LOOK OUT BELOW :bricks:

Wow! Maybe they determine their big board by throwing darts at names. How else could you come up with such an epic fail?

I used to get the Sporting News guide and kept all the back issues. In reviewing them a few years ago, I found their board *seemed* to be less reliable than some of the other guides...none of which are perfect but better, in my opinion, than Sporting News. This was a few years ago so they could have improved.

Goslin used to be the best but I heard he has dropped off...

I used to get this one for an "alternate opinion" but I save my money now.

I have Lindy's which is getting the job done and I'm STILL waiting for the PFW magazine to show up in the mail. I won't be ordering that again as they can't get it out in a timely manner.

I used to get this one for an "alternate opinion" but I save my money now.

I have Lindy's which is getting the job done and I'm STILL waiting for the PFW magazine to show up in the mail. I won't be ordering that again as they can't get it out in a timely manner.

I got my PFW magazine a couple of weeks ago. You may want to call them.

Lindy's is still the best of the magazines. Should get the PFW 'big book" by the first of April.

The Sporting News seemed to go their own path about 3 years ago. There was a good article in it this year called "The Draft From Hell". It was about the really bad 2005 draft. They did say the Patriots were only one of a few teams that scored by drafting Mankins.

Not all draft classes are the same. That's why I'd like to seee them take advantage of years class. Right now next years looks top heavy and thin.

About a month ago they touted some safety from UMASS as a second round pick.

I can't find him on most peoples's rankings !!!

Every year they go way off the edge a few times (probably hoping they hit an "I told you so")

I usually pick up the Sporting News Draft guide because it does have some against the grain opinions. In 2008 they had Gholston as a 4th round prospect and last year had Brandon Tate as the 22nd overall prospect.

Some interesting tidbits from this year's includes:
-Jonathan Crompton as their #2 QB behind Bradford
-Demaryius Thomas as their #1 WR and #4 overall prospect
-Chad Jones of LSU, ranked a top 5 safety in many places, isn't listed in their top 33 safeties
-Rolando McClain as their 3rd best MLB, behind Donald Butler and Brandon Spikes
-Taylor Price of Ohio isn't among their top 40 WRs.
-They don't list combine star TEs Clay Harbor and Dorin ****erson as draftable prospects.

I usually pick up the Sporting News Draft guide because it does have some against the grain opinions. In 2008 they had Gholston as a 4th round prospect and last year had Brandon Tate as the 22nd overall prospect.

Some interesting tidbits from this year's includes:
-Jonathan Crompton as their #2 QB behind Bradford
-Demaryius Thomas as their #1 WR and #4 overall prospect
-Chad Jones of LSU, ranked a top 5 safety in many places, isn't listed in their top 33 safeties
-Rolando McClain as their 3rd best MLB, behind Donald Butler and Brandon Spikes
-Taylor Price of Ohio isn't among their top 40 WRs.
-They don't list combine star TEs Clay Harbor and Dorin ****erson as draftable prospects.
I bet the Jets wish they would have picked it up too :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back