PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sporting News 7 Round Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Sporting News has now made their 7 round mock available free of charge (with comparisons to present players for the first 2 rounds):

Sporting News - NFL - 2009 Mock Draft

Their Pats picks:

#29 - Paul Kruger, DE: "NFL comparison: Mike Vrabel, Chiefs. Kruger is a versatile defender who could be productive playing end in any defense, but he could really shine as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme."
#34 - Alphonso Smith, CB: "NFL comparison: Antoine Winfield, Vikings. Smith is super-instinctive, with very good athleticism and excellent ball skills. While he lacks Winfield's rare speed, nearly everything else about their abilities and styles is similar."
#47 - Donald Brown, RB: "NFL comparison: Willie Parker, Steelers. Brown runs much more aggressively and strongly with the ball than you'd expect, which is a trademark of Parker's. Additionally, Brown has the extra gear to take runs the distance when he gets a crease."
#58 - Kraig Urbik, OG: "NFL comparison: Marshal Yanda, Ravens. Urbik, like Yanda, is considered a guard by many, but as Yanda has shown (and Urbik could also), if you are smart, tough and athletic, you can be effective playing guard or tackle."
#89 - Patrick Chung, S
#97 - Louis Vasquez, OG
#124 - Shawn Nelson, TE
#170 - Manuel Johnson, WR
#199 - Keith Fitzhugh, S
#207 - Seth Olsen, OG
#234 - Drew Willy, QB

Other notable picks:

#24 - Louis Delmas, S: "NFL comparison: Brian Dawkins, Broncos. Delmas plays with an aggressive, attacking style in run support and still has the athleticism and instincts to be very good in pass coverage."
#32 - William Beatty, OT: "NFL comparison: Wayne Gandy, Falcons. Beatty is an athletic tackle who, like Gandy, does his job without dominating his man and never seems to lose his cool."
#41 - Connor Barwin, OLB: "NFL comparison: Kamerion Wimbley, Browns. Barwin is a top athlete with great intangibles, just like Wimbley. Due to his lack of experience on defense, Barwin is a raw prospect -- also like Wimbley, who was considered a better athlete than football player coming out of Florida State."
#45 - Darius Butler, CB: "NFL comparison: Al Harris, Packers. Like Harris, Butler lacks great height, but he plays with the same aggressive, physical style that has made Harris successful in Green Bay."
#46 - Darcel McBath, S: "NFL comparison: Adrian Wilson, Cardinals. McBath is good in coverage and has the skills to make big interceptions, but he and Wilson both really shine with their physical and aggressive styles in run support."
#48 - Tyson Jackson, DE: "NFL comparison: Anthony Weaver, free agent. Jackson, like Weaver, does not grab attention with tons of play-making production, but he is strong and consistent against blockers and can dictate what goes on along the line of scrimmage on his side."
#51 - Cody Brown, OLB: "NFL comparison: Anthony Spencer, Cowboys. Both Brown and Spencer played end in college and have the pass-rush skills, athleticism and competitiveness that help in the transition from college DE to rush-linebacker in the NFL."
#52 - Clay Matthews, OLB: "NFL comparison: Jarrett Johnson, Ravens. Rex Ryan coached Johnson in Baltimore and probably sees a lot of him in Matthews, who brings similar athleticism and versatility to the field."
#56 - Hakeem Nicks, WR: "NFL comparison: Anquan Boldin, Cardinals. Nicks is a big, physical and athletic receiver with very good hands and the ability to make big plays after the catch. Like Boldin, he lacks explosiveness and top-end speed, but Boldin has been able to overcome that."
#62 - Jarron Gilbert, DE: "NFL comparison: Ryan Sims, Buccaneers. Gilbert has the talent to become a star, but he must increase his consistency and production. Sims has shown flashes since he arrived in the NFL, but he has never become the player he has the talent to be."
#66 - Sean Smith, CB
#71 - TJ Lang, OG
#73 - Ron Brace, DT
#78 - Kraig Urbik, OG - they also had him going to the Pats at #58
#79 - Lardarius Webb, S
#80 - Max Unger, OG/C
#87 - William Moore, S
#120 - Jason Williams, OLB
#131 - Trevor Canfield, OG
#133 - Brian Robiskie, WR - this is particularly ridiculous
#142 - Jamon Meredith, OT - see Brian Robiskie above
#146 - Gerald Cadogan, OT
#168 - Mike Wallace, WR
#181 - Sammie Lee Hill, DT
#195 - Franz Joseph, LB
#217 - Chris Baker, DT

Undrafted players of note:

- Chip Vaughn, S - this is beyond absurd
- Devin Moore, RB
- Joe Burnett, CB - almost as absurd as Chip Vaughn
- Kevin Huber, Thomas Morstead, and Graham Gano, P/K

I'm sorry, but this is just bizarre for a so-called major site. Cody Brown going before Clay Matthews? Tyson Jackson at 48? Greg Isdaner and Darcel McBath in the 2nd round? Brandon Tate going before Hakeem Nicks? I could go on and on.

For the Pats, Kruger at 29 is ludicrous. Alphonso Smith ahead of Darius Butler would be unlikely. Donald Brown is a terrific RB but with Tyson Jackson, Clay Matthews, Hakeem Nicks and Jarron Gilbert all available I think RB is a stretch. Kraig Urbik is not a 2nd round pick. Etc.

I could skip their first 2 rounds worth of picks and still end up with arguably as good a draft for the Pats than what they have:

23 - Sean Smith, CB/S
34 - Ron Brace, DT
47 - Max Unger, OG/C
58 - William Moore, Patrick Chung, or Chip Vaughn SS
89 - Jamon Meredith, OT
97 - Jason Williams, OLB
124 - Brian Robiskie, WR
170 - Franz Joseph, ILB
199 - Joe Burnet, CB
208 - Devin Moore, RB
234 - Kevin Huber, P

That draft is awful. It's very rare that anyone comes up with a mock draft that, if it actually happened, would have me throwing things at the TV. Even when someone picks a player I dislike, they usually land grab one or two in their mock that I reallly like... not the Sporting News.

I would much prefer your draft of players taking all after round 2.

Three true Guards?

Clay Matthews is equivalent to Jarret Johnson - a 265 lb. former SEC DT? They must be smoking Nut's pipe.

How does Kraig Urbik go to the Pats in round 2 and the Chargers in round 3?

Bonkers that.

That's absolutely terrible. I was going to list detailed objections, but there are far too many.

I just find it unbelievable that a "respectable" sports site with a dedicated team of people working on this issue could put together such a ridiculous effort. Any regular on this board who has been discussing the draft for the past 3 months could put together a much more solid effort. It seems bizarre to me. They list at least one player twice (Keith Urbik) and have several players who are considered relatively strong prospects out altogether without explanation. It's true that every year there are players expected to go fairly high to drop precipitously (Erin Henderson, for example) but usually there is a reason. I can see no reason why Chip Vaughn and Joe Burnett would go undrafted.

It's just weird to me how this could occur.

This draft feels so 2 months ago. When was it written? Otherwise there's really not much excuse for it.

The sporting news always has a different take on the draft. If you looked at the "big board" in their Draft magazine it would appear that they are on crack.

But they could be right on some players but very wrong on others. I like reading different takes rather that just hear the choir sing.

This draft feels so 2 months ago. When was it written? Otherwise there's really not much excuse for it.

That's a very good question, and I don't know the answer. TSN doesn't show a date. Your point did occur to me, but what's the sense in posting a mock which you know to be out of date and inaccurate? Either they are incompetent or they are lazy and arrogant - either way, it looks poor.

I just find it unbelievable that a "respectable" sports site with a dedicated team of people working on this issue could put together such a ridiculous effort. Any regular on this board who has been discussing the draft for the past 3 months could put together a much more solid effort. It seems bizarre to me. They list at least one player twice (Keith Urbik) and have several players who are considered relatively strong prospects out altogether without explanation. It's true that every year there are players expected to go fairly high to drop precipitously (Erin Henderson, for example) but usually there is a reason. I can see no reason why Chip Vaughn and Joe Burnett would go undrafted.

It's just weird to me how this could occur.

They make us look good and feel better:)

It is funny to see how many mocks I have seen on this board made up by a member who will at least take the time to read it over before they post let alone publish it on the Internet as a respectable mock. At least we do not double up on players when we do our mocks, but it is a trend I see two or three time per week when I am looking for new mocks. It just seems like every couple of days I will find a 3 or 4 round mock which repeats players or make dumb reaches and let quality players slide?? I guess what I am trying to say is that I enjoy reading more here on this forum and not the "professionals":D:D

Last edited:
I'm a long time fan of The Sporting News but this mock draft left me feeling disappointed in their effort and analysis. This past year they went from a weekly to bi-weekly publication, and had a change of ownership a couple of years ago. My first impression is that budget cuts have affected the quality of their work.

This mock draft appears in their most recent magazine, which just came out in the last day or two. Adding in time for publishing and delivery, it's still no more than about a week old.

Many player rankings different than mine. I disagree with several values.

Am I missing why they have us picking #29 in the 1st and not #23?

The Sporting News has now made their 7 round mock available free of charge (with comparisons to present players for the first 2 rounds):

Sporting News - NFL - 2009 Mock Draft

Their Pats picks:

#29 - Paul Kruger, DE: "NFL comparison: Mike Vrabel, Chiefs. Kruger is a versatile defender who could be productive playing end in any defense, but he could really shine as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme."
#34 - Alphonso Smith, CB: "NFL comparison: Antoine Winfield, Vikings. Smith is super-instinctive, with very good athleticism and excellent ball skills. While he lacks Winfield's rare speed, nearly everything else about their abilities and styles is similar."
#47 - Donald Brown, RB: "NFL comparison: Willie Parker, Steelers. Brown runs much more aggressively and strongly with the ball than you'd expect, which is a trademark of Parker's. Additionally, Brown has the extra gear to take runs the distance when he gets a crease."
#58 - Kraig Urbik, OG: "NFL comparison: Marshal Yanda, Ravens. Urbik, like Yanda, is considered a guard by many, but as Yanda has shown (and Urbik could also), if you are smart, tough and athletic, you can be effective playing guard or tackle."
#89 - Patrick Chung, S
#97 - Louis Vasquez, OG
#124 - Shawn Nelson, TE
#170 - Manuel Johnson, WR
#199 - Keith Fitzhugh, S
#207 - Seth Olsen, OG
#234 - Drew Willy, QB

Other notable picks:

#24 - Louis Delmas, S: "NFL comparison: Brian Dawkins, Broncos. Delmas plays with an aggressive, attacking style in run support and still has the athleticism and instincts to be very good in pass coverage."
#32 - William Beatty, OT: "NFL comparison: Wayne Gandy, Falcons. Beatty is an athletic tackle who, like Gandy, does his job without dominating his man and never seems to lose his cool."
#41 - Connor Barwin, OLB: "NFL comparison: Kamerion Wimbley, Browns. Barwin is a top athlete with great intangibles, just like Wimbley. Due to his lack of experience on defense, Barwin is a raw prospect -- also like Wimbley, who was considered a better athlete than football player coming out of Florida State."
#45 - Darius Butler, CB: "NFL comparison: Al Harris, Packers. Like Harris, Butler lacks great height, but he plays with the same aggressive, physical style that has made Harris successful in Green Bay."
#46 - Darcel McBath, S: "NFL comparison: Adrian Wilson, Cardinals. McBath is good in coverage and has the skills to make big interceptions, but he and Wilson both really shine with their physical and aggressive styles in run support."
#48 - Tyson Jackson, DE: "NFL comparison: Anthony Weaver, free agent. Jackson, like Weaver, does not grab attention with tons of play-making production, but he is strong and consistent against blockers and can dictate what goes on along the line of scrimmage on his side."
#51 - Cody Brown, OLB: "NFL comparison: Anthony Spencer, Cowboys. Both Brown and Spencer played end in college and have the pass-rush skills, athleticism and competitiveness that help in the transition from college DE to rush-linebacker in the NFL."
#52 - Clay Matthews, OLB: "NFL comparison: Jarrett Johnson, Ravens. Rex Ryan coached Johnson in Baltimore and probably sees a lot of him in Matthews, who brings similar athleticism and versatility to the field."
#56 - Hakeem Nicks, WR: "NFL comparison: Anquan Boldin, Cardinals. Nicks is a big, physical and athletic receiver with very good hands and the ability to make big plays after the catch. Like Boldin, he lacks explosiveness and top-end speed, but Boldin has been able to overcome that."
#62 - Jarron Gilbert, DE: "NFL comparison: Ryan Sims, Buccaneers. Gilbert has the talent to become a star, but he must increase his consistency and production. Sims has shown flashes since he arrived in the NFL, but he has never become the player he has the talent to be."
#66 - Sean Smith, CB
#71 - TJ Lang, OG
#73 - Ron Brace, DT
#78 - Kraig Urbik, OG - they also had him going to the Pats at #58
#79 - Lardarius Webb, S
#80 - Max Unger, OG/C
#87 - William Moore, S
#120 - Jason Williams, OLB
#131 - Trevor Canfield, OG
#133 - Brian Robiskie, WR - this is particularly ridiculous
#142 - Jamon Meredith, OT - see Brian Robiskie above
#146 - Gerald Cadogan, OT
#168 - Mike Wallace, WR
#181 - Sammie Lee Hill, DT
#195 - Franz Joseph, LB
#217 - Chris Baker, DT

Undrafted players of note:

- Chip Vaughn, S - this is beyond absurd
- Devin Moore, RB
- Joe Burnett, CB - almost as absurd as Chip Vaughn
- Kevin Huber, Thomas Morstead, and Graham Gano, P/K

I'm sorry, but this is just bizarre for a so-called major site. Cody Brown going before Clay Matthews? Tyson Jackson at 48? Greg Isdaner and Darcel McBath in the 2nd round? Brandon Tate going before Hakeem Nicks? I could go on and on.

For the Pats, Kruger at 29 is ludicrous. Alphonso Smith ahead of Darius Butler would be unlikely. Donald Brown is a terrific RB but with Tyson Jackson, Clay Matthews, Hakeem Nicks and Jarron Gilbert all available I think RB is a stretch. Kraig Urbik is not a 2nd round pick. Etc.

I could skip their first 2 rounds worth of picks and still end up with arguably as good a draft for the Pats than what they have:

23 - Sean Smith, CB/S
34 - Ron Brace, DT
47 - Max Unger, OG/C
58 - William Moore, Patrick Chung, or Chip Vaughn SS
89 - Jamon Meredith, OT
97 - Jason Williams, OLB
124 - Brian Robiskie, WR
170 - Franz Joseph, ILB
199 - Joe Burnet, CB
208 - Devin Moore, RB
234 - Kevin Huber, P

Good stuff Mayo.