PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The reason why Marquise Hill is still on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
You base this on what? Santonio Thomas would be a good emergency Lineman, though I base this on limited evidence.

Marquise would be a good door stop unless you've seen something no one else has.

There aren't too many players around that aren't bad emergency, i.e. be inactive every week, players.

And if I had to pick from a basket with Marquise Hill, Santonio Thomas, Eddie Freeman, and Kader Drame, to name a few guys from last camp, I'd pick Hill. Obviously someone who makes the decisions agrees with me, and has for 3 years.

Last edited:
Thank you, Pats 1. He was my "steal" that year coming out of the draft. But by now I was hoping he would have been doing what Green is doing.....

Yet, he is "my" developmental guy, just as others have TBC as theirs. So thanks for the vote of support.

The only problem is that you'll never see Marquise Hill as pass rushing-type like Green. They're two different players, really.

Three years and he hasn't yet.

Right, because he's had all those starts in his career.

I forgot Warren was on the IR for all of 2005, and Seymour was on the IR for all of 2006...

We drafted a QB in the 7th round. He's doing fine.

And he was handed that #2 QB spot. He had to beat out Rohan Davey, which isn't exactly a difficult task. He's "doing fine" because we saw something out of him in the preseason and sporadically during the season. A #2 QB is a bit different from a #4 DE. The former is active, the latter is not.

RayClay said:
Face it, the gravedigger should have been ripping it up in preseason. He's had three.

Patrick Cobbs "ripped it up in the preseason."

He's sitting on the street now.

Kyle Eckel "ripped it up in the preseason."

He's sitting on sexual assault charges right now.

Marquise Hill didn't do anything spectacular in the preseason.

He's been sitting on the 53-man roster of a Super Bowl champion team, and two other division winning teams.

RayClay said:
He's already had more time to prove himself than most unproductive players.

Are you related to him?

No, I'm not related to him. But I'm sick and tired of people ****ting on the guy because he just happened to land on a team with three extremely good football players ahead of him.

When the **** has he had time to prove himself? He obviously showed something in camp and in the preseasons to stick around this time. BB doesn't waste roster spots, and you know that. But because of the health of the three guys in front of him, he's caught in the trap of being inactive every week. As long as he is inactive, there is NOTHING he can do. And as long as Seymour and Warren are here - most certainly for the duration of Hill's contract - there is NOTHING he can do to not be inactive every week. He could blow the turf off of the practice fields every week and it wouldn't change a damn thing.

That's something that would frustrate almost anyone, but have you ever heard Hill complain?

Last edited:
Hill is only 24, let's go easy on the kid, that is still really young for a DLineman, and as long as BB is willing to try out slobs like Sullivan to make this team then there is obviously a demand for 300 lb DL who fit into 3-4's.

Marquise is a good trade bait. Say, for a 6th round pick. Go Pats.:rocker:

Marquise is a good trade bait. Say, for a 6th round pick. Go Pats.:rocker:

If the Pats used that pick wisely, than I wouldn't mind that at all. It gives Hill a chance to play for a different team, and it gives the Pats a chance to use a pick where they actually need help. And that sure as hell isn't on the defensive line.

He has naked photographs of Bill Belichick with Barn animals.That can be the only reason that He is still here.

I don't give a **** about Nick Saban.

I want to know the obvious reasons why Hill is a "bust."

Because he cannot get on the field, undrafted players such as Mike Wright play in front of him on the defense. He is a non-contributor on ST. When he is on the field he cannot hold his own and gets pushed around and he cannot hold containment. After three seasons that makes him a bust. OK.....

Because he cannot get on the field, undrafted players such as Mike Wright play in front of him on the defense.

I didn't realize that Marquise Hill was the 3rd-string NT.

Your statement would only make sense if you were referring to Le Kevin Smith, not Hill.

iguide said:
He is a non-contributor on ST.

It's tough to play on special teams when you're in street clothes.

iguide said:
When he is on the field he cannot hold his own and gets pushed around and he cannot hold containment.

Having proof is always fun. Why don't you break down the play for us? Do you have video?

iguide said:
After three seasons that makes him a bust. OK.....

If your definition of a bust is someone who has averaged 4 active games a year because of the players in front of him, then sure.

I didn't realize that Marquise Hill was the 3rd-string NT.

Your statement would only make sense if you were referring to Le Kevin Smith, not Hill.

Wright also plays end like Hill. Know your positions

It's tough to play on special teams when you're in street clothes.

That is exactly my point.

Having proof is always fun. Why don't you break down the play for us? Do you have video?

No I do not have video so you will have to use your brain and remember this years Jets game and last years 49 game. In both of those game he was continually pushed around could not hold his position and could not contain. I so much wanted him to be successful, but alas he got his butt kicked.

If your definition of a bust is someone who has averaged 4 active games a year because of the players in front of him, then sure.

It is not because of who is in front of him. Both Green and Wright rotate in. If Hill was any good so would he. But he is not so he cannot.

Last edited:
You put almost anyone short of a Julius Peppers in place of Marquise Hill, and you have an identical result.

I would be in favor of replacing him with an established veteran, but then again, that would be going against my theory that the Pats need to get younger.

Drafting another 4-3 DT/3-4 DE WILL produce the EXACT same result.

Simply put, no, I would not have confidence in him. He hasn't had a decent chance to develop, nor will he ever with the Patriots. You can't argue that.

I half-blame BB & co, not Hill. He IS a "bust" in that sense. If the Pats had drafted a QB in the 1st round in 2004, we're talking the SAME THING. And if that QB stuck around for 4 or 5 years and "didn't do anything" that wouldn't mean that player was "bad." When the Pats drafted him, Wilfork had just been taken hours before, Green was just coming in, and Warren had only started a handful of games. He was, quite frankly, a risky INSURANCE policy. The Pats turned out not to need it, thanks to the development of Warren, Wilfork, and Green.

The fact of the matter remains the same. You put Santonio Thomas, you put one of those college names Box was floating around (...never heard of them...), and you get the same result.

With such amazingly good starting DLs, the Pats are in quite a predicament in regards to their emergency DE spot. Do you go with a younger player with potential, where you'll NEVER likely see it develop with VERY limited playing time? Or do you go with an older player who you'd be more comfortable starting in an emergency but has no upside?

I am sorry. This statement is patently false.

The two games that Hill was given action before the game was decided, he was pulle prior to the end of the same series. Neither time was he in to give a guy a brief rest, either. In the Jet game, Warren was inactive and Seymour could only play a half. Amazingly enough, the guy that you say only gets on the field due to playing a different position, Wright, came in immediately and replaced Hill at his positon. Doesn't that reflect even worse on Hill? A guy who doesn't even play the same position had to come in because Hill was playing so poorly?

Then in the TN game, NE had just gotten what should have been a game controlling TD. Hill went in and was abused so badly that the team had to put one of their starters back on the field.

Again, I understand that Wright has a little more position flexibility and he plays special teams, thus he will get the activation nod. But the times Hill has seen the field he has been terrible. If you can't accept the fact that the 4th DE positon needs an upgrade I don't what to tell you. But I can't believe that the team seriously believes the same thing that you do. Even when two of the DE's in front of him can't play, Hill still doesn't see the field. He is bad.

It is not because of who is in front of him. Both Green and Wright rotate in. If Hill was any good so would he. But he is not so he cannot.

Last time I checked, inactive players can't be on the field and playing. ;)

... and it gives the Pats a chance to use a pick where they actually need help. And that sure as hell isn't on the defensive line.

Not at DE, anyway: $eemore, Warren, Green, Wright.
At DT/NT, however: Wilfork, LKSmith(?), ...?

Unless a first-day value falls into the 2nd day of the draft, then I say : sign a vet DT/NT or 2, in whom the coaches would have confidence to give Willfork a rest.

If Hill were a valuable Ster and a valuable player is short yardage defenses, he would be active in almost every game. He is not.

Last time I checked, inactive players can't be on the field and playing. ;)

If Hill were a valuable Ster and a valuable player is short yardage defenses, he would be active in almost every game. He is not.

Oh, I'm sure guys like Woods and Childress are valuable in certain situations too, but every guy can't be active. There's only 45 spots, and there's just not enough room for somebody like Hill. The Pats went just about all of last year with 3 DEs, 2 NTs, period. Any more would take something away from other positions where they needed the players more.

And it's not like I'm making this up. It's obvious by way of the inactive list put out by a certain Bill Belichick.

Not at DE, anyway: $eemore, Warren, Green, Wright.
At DT/NT, however: Wilfork, LKSmith(?), ...?

Unless a first-day value falls into the 2nd day of the draft, then I say : sign a vet DT/NT or 2, in whom the coaches would have confidence to give Willfork a rest.

Why wouldn't Wright be included in the NT mix? He did a great job at NT when Wilfork was hurt. He does give Wilfork a rest from time to time - look at the final drive of the Colts game, for example.

I wouldn't really consider it a knock against Hill that he can't play NT while Wright can play DE.

The reason Marquise Hill is still on this team is Because LeKevin Smith ALLOWED him to be.

that is all.

He is a big strong kid, in my brief exposure to him as a player he has looked stiff and gets pushed around. In any case he is our 6th lineman on the depth chart and is clearly on the bubble to make the roster in 2007. Either he will step up and contribute in a reserve role or the Pats will replace him with someone who can.

Longest thread I have ever seen about someone with 2 career solo tackles...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6822/career;_ylt=AtVnXx1J.zNmXuJUgIzgZir.uLYF

There is also the theory that they got him confused with Marcus Spears and were too embarassed to say anything....

Easy answer:
6'6" 300 lbs.

You just do not find guys with that size very often. I know that Hill has not done anything to warrant a spot on the roster, but he came out of school early and is very young and raw. I have no idea if the coaches have seen enough progress for him to stick around any longer, but I imagine that they will keep him around if they think he could help out long term. Guys with his size and the potential he showed in college are hard to come by,and with more teams going to a 3-4, keeping them is very important.

I for one would like to see his name show up more this offseason as someone who is making some big steps in his progression, or I think it is time to free up that spot on the roster for someone else.

Last edited:
He is a big strong kid, in my brief exposure to him as a player he has looked stiff and gets pushed around. In any case he is our 6th lineman on the depth chart and is clearly on the bubble to make the roster in 2007. Either he will step up and contribute in a reserve role or the Pats will replace him with someone who can.

Incorrect on both counts.

Unless someone proves to BB & co. that they are more valuable (how?) as a 4th DE - that hasn't been done for 3 years now - Hill will stay right where he is.

And don't hold your breath. He isn't going to step up and contribute. Look for 2006 all over again. And if he makes the roster again in 2007, the same thing. NOTHING will change as long as Seymour, Warren, and Green are Seymour, Warren, and Green.

How do you expect him to contribute in his current reserve role? Dry the bench? Polish shoes? It's not going to happen. BB preaches having a role on a football team, and that's Hill's role. Not as a result of his play, but rather that of his Pro-Bowl caliber peers.

However, why would you suddenly expect things to change if they replaced Hill with anyone less than a Julius Peppers? What will they do, make Green inactive? If Seymour, Warren, and Green are active, NO OTHER DEFENSIVE END ON THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS WILL BE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft