PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The preponderance of "undisclosed" draft picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I know it's not unusual for draft pick compensation to be kept secret for awhile. I understand that some teams don't want to feel the searing embarrassment of how little they've received for a player they may once have touted highly. And I know it likely doesn't matter whether we get a 7th or a 6th (or nothing) for Patrick Cobbs. HOWEVER...

What the F is it with SOOOOO many "undisclosed, conditional" picks being traded this year? I've never seen so many. Just F-ing tell us the compensation so we can move forward with the season, and keep track of our little "what we'll have next April" charts, for the love of Christ!

Anyone else think teams have been unusally secretive about compensation so far? Or am I just being a whiny little punk?

P.S. Hey, at least it's not a Deion thread. You're welcome.

Last edited:
They probably don't know what the real compensation will be! So much of this involves how much playing time or how productive the traded player will be. If the player is productive, it's likely that the conditional pick will be moved up one round in the draft. (6th round pick instead of 7th round for example.)

smg93 said:
They probably don't know what the real compensation will be! So much of this involves how much playing time or how productive the traded player will be. If the player is productive, it's likely that the conditional pick will be moved up one round in the draft. (6th round pick instead of 7th round for example.)
I am sure there is a range depending on many things...majes sense.

Just to add to the mystery, Reiss said today in the Patriots Notebook that if Gorin does not make the Cardinals 53, that the Pats don't get an "undisclosed" draft pick from Arizona. True?

smg93 said:

Yeah, I'm sure Belioli traded Cobbs to PIT for a pick that could turn into a first-rounder. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, they could at least say what the "worst-case scenario" is (i.e., the lowest possible pick). . . .

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
I know it's not unusual for draft pick compensation to be kept secret for awhile. I understand that some teams don't want to feel the searing embarrassment of how little they've received for a player they may once have touted highly. And I know it likely doesn't matter whether we get a 7th or a 6th (or nothing) for Patrick Cobbs. HOWEVER...

What the F is it with SOOOOO many "undisclosed, conditional" picks being traded this year? I've never seen so many. Just F-ing tell us the compensation so we can move forward with the season, and keep track of our little "what we'll have next April" charts, for the love of Christ!

Anyone else think teams have been unusally secretive about compensation so far? Or am I just being a whiny little punk?

P.S. Hey, at least it's not a Deion thread. You're welcome.

LMAO!!!

This is the ultimate get a life thread.....

I hope you know i'm kidding :)

patsox23 said:
What the F is it with SOOOOO many "undisclosed, conditional" picks being traded this year? I've never seen so many.

Ooh, ooh! I know the answer! I think you've never seen so many "undisclosed, conditional" picks simply before because you've never seen so many fringe players traded in TC before. This is the standard way of handling such trades (e.g. Quinn Dorsey a couple of years back). So maybe the interesting thing is that the Patriots are arranging so many trades for their bubble players. Is that...

A. a new trend in the league--use conditional picks rather than waiting/hoping for the waiver wire
B. a new Patriots team emphasis
C. a sign that the OL and RB positions were just unbelievably deep
?

Add to the 3 "undisclosed" picks the comp picks we have coming our way after the losses of Givens and Adam V, and we're loaded with day 2 draft picks.

smg93 said:

Right, which is why they would call it an "unconditional 7th" or an "unconditional 4th," which we've heard plenty of times over the years. My point is, they're not even giving us THAT now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back