PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats really need a good draft this year

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Odd to say for a super bowl team I know but I was looking at this.

New England Patriots All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

And I have to say it is concerning. You need to draft well to sustain excellence. The Pats were helped greatly by the UDFA find of Butler and stealing of Rowe but we have a lot of rookie contracts due to expire and it is hard to argue we have filled in that talent with other young rookies.

On the whole I think the drafts over the past few years have been lackluster compared to what you need to be a championship team. This year they really need to play catch up some and it is a good year to do it. If they fail to hit this year I think we will start to really see the effects of a talent drain coming.

And I have to say it is concerning. You need to draft well to sustain excellence. The Pats were helped greatly by the UDFA find of Butler and stealing of Rowe but we have a lot of rookie contracts due to expire and it is hard to argue we have filled in that talent with other young rookies.

On the whole I think the drafts over the past few years have been lackluster compared to what you need to be a championship team. This year they really need to play catch up some and it is a good year to do it. If they fail to hit this year I think we will start to really see the effects of a talent drain coming.

Out of 9 picks last year (no first round choice) we had 5 or 6 dressed for the Super Bowl. That's a pretty good draft in my mind.

Last years draft was excellent. Thuney is a good starting guard, Mitchell is a very promising receiver who has already contributed, Valentine played well when his number was called, Brissett seems like a solid backup atleast, Roberts shows some promise at least as a run stopper, and the jury is still out on Cyrus Jones and Ted Karras.

EDIT: And the year before we got a starting DT (Brown), a starting guard (Mason & potentially Jackson), and a VERY promising DE that led our team in sacks and got 2.5 sacks in the super bowl (Flowers). Plus a good long snapper to top it off lol (cardona).

I would say we have been drafting very well recently.

Well, they obtained 4 starters, 3 rotational players and a long snapper in the 2015 and 2016 drafts. Although not overwhelming, it's certainly not bad. Other thing to note is that they only had one pick before #60 in either year, that was at 32. It's tough to hit home runs in that situation. This year we'll get 32 back with a possibly for more depending on how Jimmy G resolves itself. Let's hope they hit the bullseye here.

With the Pats pick at #32 and the possibility of another first round pick for JG that should translate into 2 starters by the second half of the year.....or solid backups at the least depending on what positions BB chooses to select.....I'm sure he'll hit on at least a couple of other picks that end up playing substantial roles down the stretch.....we never know , as fans, what BB sees in players but he comes through more often than not....If the Pats stay healthy and don't get multiple injuries at one position, they should be fine.....Combine that with Lewis coming back stronger and Gronk being Gronk again, and I look forward to seeing what the 2017 version of the Patriot team can accomplish......another Lombardi to make an even number would balance off the trophy case at The Razor....Cant wait for the SBLI Banner to be unveiled ! :cool:

One thing I would add is that 1st round picks have their most value in years 1-5; really years 2-4 once they get over the rookie learning curve and in year 5 play at a much higher salary (although likely still less than market prices). Beyond year 5, draft picks are really no different than signing external free agents.

In the last 4 drafts, the Pats have one first round pick still on the roster (Brown selected at 32). Yet they've managed to win 2 Super Bowls in that time -- the period where this impact is supposed to be felt the most. So this just further shows that the other aspects of team building can help overcome deficiencies in the draft should it arise.

It's a very important draft because A) we lost our 1st last year, B) We have a significant number of free agents and at key positions this year and C) We have sufficient talent already signed for 2017 that should allow us to compete at a high level this year.

The Jimmy G factor only adds to the possibilities.

To me, the Offense looks relatively stable going into free agency and the draft, when compared to the D. Other than at RB, where an infusion of a youthful power back is needed, I hope we go heavy on Defense. OT is always a need but I see nothing there that I would take with our first 2 picks, based on where those picks are located and the likelihood of the top OL talent being gone when we make those top 2 picks. Same with TE. There are a couple of very good looking TE's in this years draft but with Gronk coming back and by all accounts healthy to start the year, I believe that our high draft pick resources are better allocated elsewhere.

DE, LB and corner would be where I'd focus the top 2 picks on.

If a Jimmy G trade comes to fruition and we get a good haul, I still want to go hard on defense and then trade some of that new draft capital in to 2018.

The draft will be an absolute blast for Pats fans to watch this year!!!

Last years draft was fine but we need another one like that this year or even better.

Here is how i see the drafts as of recently.

2010 - very good but Gronk/McCourty are being paid now.
2011 - good but Solder/Cannon are getting paid now
2012 - good but Hightower will be getting paid this year
2013 - good but Ryan/Harmon will be getting paid this year.

The issues came in 2014 and 2015. They hit pretty well from 10-13 but if you miss in too many drafts it is going to come back to bite you

2014 - Bad draft saved by maybe trading Jimmy G and getting lucky finding Butler. Your best drafted player still on the team who helped after Brady came back is James White . Not enough.

2015 - Brown has been an okay starter but not great. Flowers was the real find of this class. Mason has only been an okay starter but not great he seems to have trouble vs stunts and athletic DTs. Jackson up to now is a JAG till we know otherwise. Overall has this draft didn't offer too much for me. It wasn't as bad as 2014 but still not good enough.

I have little issue with the 2016 draft especially considering there was no top pick. I think that was a good draft.

I am just concerned about having another underwhelming year. I think the Pats need to play catch up on young talent which is a hole i think they dug themselves in with 2013 and 2014.

Last edited:
I am wondering how other teams were rated in their drafts over a 5 year period compared to the Patriots? Looking at the Patriots drafts over last 5 years what overall grade do others give it compared to the other top teams in the NFL ??

Just curious to know how Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Denver, Oakland, Miami, Houston were rated in drafting over past 5 years.......

Anyone have some analysis they would like to offer or maybe a link to some website that looked at the stats...I can't believe that they all hit big on their draft picks over a 5 year period......

EDIT": OOPS I FOUND A SITE ...It's a year old but at least it provides some insight....

http://nypost.com/2015/04/25/an-exhaustive-ranking-of-every-nfl-teams-draft-haul-since-2010/

Last edited:
I wonder if they will take a QB if jimmy get's traded. I want them to focus on defense and draft a tackle.

No more Cy Joneses, Jordan Richards, GeeNo Grossems, Tre Jacksons, Dom Easilys, Brian Storks, Aaron Dropsons, Josh Boyces, Tavon Wilsons, Jake the Fake Bequettes, Glas-IR Dowlings, Germy Cunnyhams, Taylor Prices, Zohan Meskos, Busto Braces, Tyrone McKenzies, Richie OBergers, Terry Wheatleys, Chicken Legs Crables, Kevin O'Connells, Johnny Wilhites, and Kareem Browns.

So you have given up on Cy Jones??? That is ridiculous!

No more Cy Joneses, Jordan Richards, GeeNo Grossems, Tre Jacksons, Dom Easilys, Brian Storks, Aaron Dropsons, Josh Boyces, Tavon Wilsons, Jake the Fake Bequettes, Glas-IR Dowlings, Germy Cunnyhams, Taylor Prices, Zohan Meskos, Busto Braces, Tyrone McKenzies, Richie OBergers, Terry Wheatleys, Chicken Legs Crables, Kevin O'Connells, Johnny Wilhites, and Kareem Browns.
Things are better with Nick Caserio but still too many wild stabs where they go way off the draft boards to get players.

You'll get no argument out me re Richards. One of the most baffling picks I can recall.

The only way to do that is to trade all the draft picks for players.

2014 - Bad draft saved by maybe trading Jimmy G and getting lucky finding Butler. Your best drafted player still on the team who helped after Brady came back is James White . Not enough.

2015 - Brown has been an okay starter but not great. Flowers was the real find of this class. Mason has only been an okay starter but not great he seems to have trouble vs stunts and athletic DTs. Jackson up to now is a JAG till we know otherwise. Overall has this draft didn't offer too much for me. It wasn't as bad as 2014 but still not good enough.

Wow you have a glass-is-half-empty viewpoint on this stuff.

Wow you have a glass-is-half-empty viewpoint on this stuff.

I wouldn't say I am a glass half empty kind of guy I just don't think the 2015 draft was that good. It wasn't horrible but I think you need more than what they got on average to sustain their super bowl hopes. If Flowers turns into a true star it would change my view point but I am not betting on that yet.

2014 is probably the weakest, not helped by the Easley bust pick, but one should also recognise that it gave us a borderline SB MVP and someone who could be about to be traded for plus value. I think our drafts have been fine and it's only that Easley, Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins are no longer on the team that makes it look worse.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back