PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The pats don't have a first round pick, but could they be sneaky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
lets say the patriots want a player that's available late in the first round lets say number 20

could the patriots offer a team a player they might want on our team(think JimmyG, Chandler jones) in exchange forpicking and trading the rights of said pick to the patriots?

Like hey cleveland, we really want this guy, if you pick him, and trade him to us, we'll give you chandler jones!

Q: "Any likelihood the Pats trade late round picks to a team, with the agreement being they draft a certain player for NE in the 1st rd?"

Last edited:
lets say the patriots want a player that's available late in the first round lets say number 20

could the patriots offer a team a player they might want on our team(think JimmyG, Chandler jones) in exchange forpicking and trading the rights of said pick to the patriots?

Like hey cleveland, we really want this guy, if you pick him, and trade him to us, we'll give you chandler jones!

I don't fully understand the rules but apparently this scenario falls foul of the rookie wage scale. in other words, the Patriots wouldn't be able to afford to sign that player. If anyone else has something more concrete on this I'd appreciate it.

Q: "Any likelihood the Pats trade late round picks to a team, with the agreement being they draft a certain player for NE in the 1st rd?"

I just deleted the last tweet since I now think that it is incorrect information.

So a team couldn't agree to a 'trade', draft a player, sign him, then after the draft go ahead and trade him with the contract (not transfer the negotiating rights)? I mean, sometimes a rookie will get traded in their first year, right? How would this be different?

So a team couldn't agree to a 'trade', draft a player, sign him, then after the draft go ahead and trade him with the contract (not transfer the negotiating rights)? I mean, sometimes a rookie will get traded in their first year, right? How would this be different?

That is not what I was asked. The difference is that the team with the first round pick has not signed the player.

How many teams are going to pay a player a 4 million signing bonus and then trade him days later. They would lose a couple of million in cap space if the trade is done before June 1. If a draft pick has been traded, it is usually during training camp when 75% of the dead money occurs the following year.

That is not what I was asked. The difference is that the team with the first round pick has not signed the player.

How many teams are going to pay a player a 4 million signing bonus and then trade him days later. They would lose a couple of million in cap space if the trade is done before June 1. If a draft pick has been traded, it is usually during training camp when 75% of the dead money occurs the following year.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye