PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriot Way or The Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
via BSMW, as a warning to all the pregame show watchers.

ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown will feature this must-miss segment:
· The Patriot Way or The Highway: Wes Welker is a symbol of what has become known in NFL circles as “The Patriot Way” – replacing productive Patriots with lesser known players. As Welker returns to Gillette Stadium for visiting Denver on Sunday, ESPN.com’s Greg Garber sits with former Patriots – including Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Milloy, Adam Vinatieri, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Law and Damien Woody – to discuss whether “The Patriot Way” has helped or hindered the team. :bricks:
They will also have a Wes Welker interview with Tedy Bruschi.

It's on ESPN so I will be sure to never see it.

5 superbowls since the inception of "patriots way" tends to point to, no it has not hurt the team

via BSMW, as a warning to all the pregame show watchers.

Good lord, that promises to be MISERABLE viewing. Talk about stacking the deck. Thanks for the warning.

as bruce allen points out , it doesnt matter to these guys that

Bruce Allen ‏@bruceallen 31m
Of course some of the guys who replaced them were Brady, Harrison, Gostkowski, Seau, Samuel and Neal.

I won't waste one second of my life watching that garbage.

Re: Welker 1 on 1

Its a pretty funny interview and ironic that Bruschi was conducting it, since he is one of the few player that still played after his time was past. Of course, that's because he didn't push the envelope every time on the contract.

I'm not saying Welker did, but it sure seems like his agent sold him a bill of goods about his market value. Had he taken the three year contract before he was franchised, that might have been his best deal business wise.

The Belichick Patriots, as opposed to the Robert Kraft/Bobby Grier Patriots, are not going to put themselves in the position to have players past their prime with big contracts and not have options for players with $$$ in their eyes put their by agents looking to make a name.

Its a pretty funny interview and ironic that Bruschi was conducting it, since he is one of the few player that still played after his time was past. Of course, that's because he didn't push the envelope every time on the contract.

I'm not saying Welker did, but it sure seems like his agent sold him a bill of goods about his market value. Had he taken the three year contract before he was franchised, that might have been his best deal business wise.

The Robert Kraft/Bill Belichick Patriots, as opposed to the Robert Kraft/Bobby Grier Patriots, are not going to put themselves in the position to have players past their prime with big contracts and not have options for players with $$$ in their eyes put their by agents looking to make a name.

Fixed it for ya' - unless you are under the curious impression that the owner of this team has no input anymore about the way it is run. I have a feeling that is very far from the case, but that part of what the Kraft's have done very well since Belichick came on-board is to manage the impression that they are meddling dunderheads that "don't know anything about football" (in spite of their 19 or 20 years in the business), something which was quite apparently a source of great irritation to them under the previous regime they entrusted with their >$700 million dollar personal asset. Funny how some people seem to have that point of view (that the Krafts have essentially nothing to do with the success of the team, including their success in managing contracts and trying to optimize value), except when situations like Welker's contract come up, when they are suddenly not portrayed as simply sitting idly by having no input to the operation while BB makes all the decisions. Let me be clear here, I'm not projecting this opinion on you, RayClay, I admire you a lot as a longtime member of this board (and in particular am one of your key supporters in regard to Houston Antwine and the Pats HOF), but there are times when I get the feeling (and I admit, I may be very mistaken about this feeling) that there are some people who think the only role the Krafts choose to play is to make sure BB doesn't spend too much of their money. I have a different view, which is that the relationship is a lot more than that, and that BB's almost unparalleled success as the "HC of the NEP" has quite a bit to do with working for the Krafts, no matter what the Shaughnessy's and Barnacles of the world would have you believe.

Tedy Bruschi: One-on-one with Denver Broncos WR Wes Welker - ESPN Boston

I just read the transcript but not the video but media slip up comment will be nice for the mediots who are in love with welker :)
Of course his BB 'say this ,say that' comment is such sour grapes...He talks like he wanted to leave the Pats.

The real sour grapes are from those continuing to bang on Welker, all he said was what everyone knows, you watch your tongue in NE and after 6 years there he was still in that mindset last offseason. He didn't say anything negative about Belichick or NE and people trying to make it out that he did are simply making sh.t up.

35yo9g.jpg

Last edited:

Fixed it for ya' - unless you are under the curious impression that the owner of this team has no input anymore about the way it is run. I have a feeling that is very far from the case, but that part of what the Kraft's have done very well since Belichick came on-board is to manage the impression that they are meddling dunderheads that "don't know anything about football" (in spite of their 19 or 20 years in the business), something which was quite apparently a source of great irritation to them under the previous regime they entrusted with their >$700 million dollar personal asset. Funny how some people seem to have that point of view (that the Krafts have essentially nothing to do with the success of the team, including their success in managing contracts and trying to optimize value), except when situations like Welker's contract come up, when they are suddenly not portrayed as simply sitting idly by having no input to the operation while BB makes all the decisions. Let me be clear here, I'm not projecting this opinion on you, RayClay, I admire you a lot as a longtime member of this board (and in particular am one of your key supporters in regard to Houston Antwine and the Pats HOF), but there are times when I get the feeling (and I admit, I may be very mistaken about this feeling) that there are some people who think the only role the Krafts choose to play is to make sure BB doesn't spend too much of their money. I have a different view, which is that the relationship is a lot more than that, and that BB's almost unparalleled success as the "HC of the NEP" has quite a bit to do with working for the Krafts, no matter what the Shaughnessy's and Barnacles of the world would have you believe.

Are you aware of what the history of Patriots large long term contracts was before Kraft gave Belichick control over football matters, or are you a new fan?

Since you had no problem putting words in my mouth, I brought that up. Kraft is a football fan and a paper company magnate. He doesn't walk into paper factories to decide which factory workers do and don't get raises, he relies on good managers.

Your problem is you think I am criticizing Kraft for being a bad owner. Nothing could be further from the truth. He used his money for the team and the Stadium and more. Did he do it because it made good business sense? Hell no. He's a fan, this is what he enjoys. Had he used risk/reward he never would have used his own money on a stadium, who does that?

He's the best owner in the game because he enjoys the team and leaves the difficult business decisions to his manager, just like he does in his paper business.

Joel Buschbaum, the highly respected virtual inventor of draft analysis wrote an article in 2001 where he said the Patriots had the least chance of winning due to huge long term contracts. Bledsoe, Law, Max Lane, Rucci, Milloy among others.

Besides Law, none of them even made it into the championship era, much less demanded big contracts.

You may disagree, but I'm glad Kraft isn't involved in all but special circumstances in contract negotiations. He's a freaking billionaire fer crissakes, I'm sure he could do it. Agonize over cutting McGinest, trading Vrabel, standing up to Branches agent, trading Seymour, losing Welker. He absolutely could do it, though. I doubt he'd enjoy the game much anymore and i imagine his much more important businesses, financial dealings and real estate deals would suffer tremendously.

I know he's glad he has Belichick to take that heat and so am I.

that there are some people who think the only role the Krafts choose to play is to make sure BB doesn't spend too much of their money.

You completely misinterpreted my post. Belichick is the one who is maintaining the fiscal discipline. Without him Kraft was overly generous. That's not a criticism of Kraft as an owner, it merely means he needed somebody he liked and trusted with the knowledge and discipline to make those tough decisions. He didn't like or trust Parcells, otherwise Bill P qualified. He had a loose contingent for a while, including a scout and assistant coach who had reached far beyond his Peter Principle (Grier). Poodle Pete had no authority, might have helped otherwise.

With his manager in place, Kraft is likely the best owner in football, what's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST