SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Steelers
Sun
Dec 16th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Shocking Ending
Sunday's loss in Miami was shocking and will likely have the Patriots doing some second-guessing this week.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The LB Thread

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Snooky97, Oct 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Snooky97

Snooky97 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,512
    I feel I have a fairly good idea on the LB group after last year so will look into it again this year.

I’m going to be looking for a Jamie Collins Type LB, I’ve seen there’s been a few athletic ones but we also know BB likes the size.

Will also see what we have with OLBs as well. For me our OLBs have to be very good against the Run.

2. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,215
    I prefer right now to add a Lavonte David/Telvin Smith-type horizontal OLB to our position group instead of another Jamie Collins/Hightower-type vertical OLB.

3. reamer

reamer Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Ideally, we we want someone who can do it all. They're just fairly rare. Devin White might be one of those players, but he's probably going in the first before we pick. I like Mack Wilson a lot as another guy with good coverage ability (4 picks last year, 1 already this year), and he has that Alabama pedigree.

Otherwise, I'm still getting my bearings on this season. I'll do a more thorough review after all the tape is out by the end of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snooky97

Snooky97 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,512
    People forget that Collins was an unreal athlete and could really do it. He was an athletic freak. He just wouldn’t listen and follow the schemes

5. captain stone

Ratings:
    +6,215
    Great. I always look forward to those write-ups.

6. reamer

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Appreciate it! In the meantime, make sure to read @BaconGrundleCandy 's draft thread. He's way more prolific than I am with his breakdowns.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. captain stone

Ratings:
    +6,215
    He was indeed an excellent athlete; he appeared to me, moreover, a better athletic player than he was an instinctive player. His first college games played were at Safety, if memory serves, so he either out-grew the position or it was suggested to him that he gain weight so that he could begin the switch to LB, for some reason I suppose. So his earliest experience did include coverage responsibilities, but his later & final experiences involved more up-field responsibilities like pass-rushing, gap-busting & run-blitzing. It seemed obvious to me that he was/is more comfortable in the latter roles than he ever was in the former ones. Kinda reminds me of Willie Mac, though Willie was a little bigger but also a little less twitchy.

As far as not listening and not following the schemes are concerned, I obviously and for more than one reason do not approve of open disobedience to your chain of command. However, did the situation really have to become so dire that he was traded, during a playoff run, for essentially the same compensation they would've received had they merely chose not to re-sign him and accept the compensatory pick, likely between #97-100, one year later than they received Cleveland's last pick of the 3rd round? I don't know why Bill sometimes tries to fit square DE pegs such as Collins & Chris Long into round, read-and-react LB holes. Doesn't seem to me to be the most efficient way to manage all of the assets at one's disposal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,653
    Here's a few off the ball guys ...

Mack Wilson
    Devin White
    Bobby Okereke
    TJ Edwards
    Troy Dye
    Ty Summers
    Dre Greenlaw
    Khalil Hodge
    Drue Tranquill
    Tevon Coney
    Tre Watson (interviewed him)
    Devin Bush
    Joe Giles Harris
    Jordan Jones
    Cam Smith
    Terrill Hanks
    Ben Burr Kirvin
    Brandon Harris
    Natrez Patrick

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Jennings of Alabama has to be on our draft board. He makes plays and seems to be Able to get after qb’s, while showing a little pass coverage skills.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,399
    To have that Ryan Mallet pick back and to have taken KJ Wright......

11. captain stone

Ratings:
    +6,215
    I didn't mind the Mallet pick; we needed a developmental QB, and he was one of the best players available regardless of position.
    The ones that really bug me are not taking Telvin Smith with Any of our Three 4th-round picks in 2014...and not taking Genard Avery at 143 this year.

12. everlong

Ratings:
    +3,399
    I looked at Mallet in depth and thought he was a less talented Drew Bledsoe. It pretty much bore out that way. I've been wrong about plenty of picks but not that one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. reamer

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Nice trip down memory lane . . . but what does that have to do with 2019 draft eligible LB prospects? o_O

The problems I have with looking at college linebackers is that it's so tough to find a diverse skill set. Chase Hancock currently leads LB in passes defended, but he's a 6'1 #230 run and chase guy who would get eaten alive in our schemes. We all want that guy who can cover, but they either go in the 1st (Foster, Reddick, etc), or they are role players with some questions regarding their transition to the pros (like Telvin Smith) and every team passes on them multiple times.

Even the best cover LB are significantly inferior to safeties, though. Too many safeties on the field is just an invitation to get run over, so it becomes a trade off again.

I like Tre Lamar at LB, but he's more in the Bentley mold. It's tough to find a Deion Jones type -- and look what happens to him over the course of a game if teams keep running at him. He's a great player, but he can't hold up under a constant grind, and the defense ends up getting gashed. Great subpackage player, though.

I'll have more actual player analysis after the season, when I can do deep-dive reviews over multiple games and cut .gifs for review.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. everlong

Ratings:
    +3,399
    Sorry for stealing the thread.

I agree with why it's hard to project for the Pats. I don't think Bill would consider Hancock much like he wouldn't a Bobby Wagner at the time. He's looking for a Jaime Collins or KJ Wright type where they have both the length, size, speed, football smarts, leadership and love of football. Those guys come once every few drafts and usually they're gone in the top ten. Collins and Wright were exceptions because they came from schools off the radar.

I think that's the secret to getting one of these guys in the middle rounds. You have to start scouting guys from nontraditional powers. Hancock fits that component but I don't his size works and besides that I think you're correct in saying rather than draft a small LB you draft a large safety like Derwin James or Cam Chancellor instead.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at the draft thus far so I don't have a lot to offer in names. When January rolls around and I start to look at the draft I'll pay attention to this type of evaluation but from a theoretical standpoint I think you and I agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1