PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The last 3 years the Patriots lost the opener 2001, 2003, & 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Losing the opener is not a good thing, but it is not the end of the world.

Look what happened the last 3 times we lost the opener.

2001 lost the opener & won the
Super Bowl.

2003 lost the opener & won the
Super bowl.

2014 lost the opener & won the
Super bowl .

Let's make it the last 4 times......

Super Bowl.

Super bowl.

Super bowl .

Great point.

Interestingly, it wasn't until 1986 when the hated Giants, coached by friends Bill, Bill, Ron and Romeo that a team won the Super Bowl after losing their opener.

Of course, it really happened ten years previous, when the Pats stumbled out of the gate, losing our opener to the Colts in Foxborough, and were on to win Super Bowl XI in Pasadena...but for Dreith's dearth of competence or objectivity, which among other things, ruined Christmas...

I really do not know if a team has done this without Belichick on their staff.

Super Bowl.

Super bowl.

Super bowl .

Unlike those previous losses, last night's defeat took place at home.

Only one team has lost an opening game at home and gone on to win the Super Bowl: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002)

Hopefully this year, the Pats an make that two teams!

Last edited:
Not the end of the world certainly

But

If they are significantly worse than we thought, and significantly in trouble, they'd lose that game last night the same way.

Point is, last night could mean we aren't very good.. or it might mean nothing.

But losing the first game doesn't mean we are going to win the SB

Bb said in press conference he doesn't think about the past. He's focused on 2017.

Nice coincidence, but those years have no bearing on this season.

0168_93e4.jpeg

Albeit all blowouts, those losses occured on the road. KC is a team you just can't afford losing to. Not with Raiders, Steelers, Denver, TB, Atl, NO, Carolina on the schedule. They can only afford two more losses ( Max) to get HFA.

Albeit all blowouts, those losses occured on the road. KC is a team you just can't afford losing to. Not with Raiders, Steelers, Denver, TB, Atl, NO, Carolina on the schedule. They can only afford two more losses ( Max) to get HFA.
I don't, know about that in terms of losing to KC. They were very good at the end of last year. But losing Berry may hurt them a lot.

I don't, know about that in terms of losing to KC. They were very good at the end of last year. But losing Berry may hurt them a lot.

KC is an average team. They'll maybe be a WC. If Smith carved this D up, what in god's name are Ryan, Brees, Newton, Carr, possibly Rivers & Winston going to do? Texans have no offense. Yet they have a better D then KC. That could be a loss.

Just because they rebounded in 01, 03, 14 doesn't mean it will happen again. The SF giants streak of WS bi-yearly was snapped last year. Patriots streak of home opening wins? Snapped last night.

This team has a 2009 and 2013 type feel to it.

KC is an average team. They'll maybe be a WC. If Smith carved this D up, what in god's name are Ryan, Brees, Newton, Carr, possibly Rivers & Winston going to do? Texans have no offense. Yet they have a better D then KC. That could be a loss.

Just because they rebounded in 01, 03, 14 doesn't mean it will happen again. The SF giants streak of WS bi-yearly was snapped last year. Patriots streak of home opening wins? Snapped last night.

Too early to say we are looking at a 2009 or 2013. Much too early.

To be fair, I'm sure you said that after week 1 of 2014 as well. Too early to say that yet.

Too early to say we are looking at a 2009 or 2013. Much too early.
While I agree with you that it's much too early to resort to these comparisons, I can't help but point out that 2009 and 2013 were VERY different seasons.

In 2013, they took an injured team all the way to the AFCCG via an insanely overachieving 12-4 record and first round bye. In 2009, they had a 10-6 record and got pummeled in the divisional round--at home.

Personally, I would not be surprised if they went 11-5 or even 10-6. I hope for (and expect, at this point) a 12-4 record every year, so being a game or two away from that with the injuries and new guys wouldn't be shocking in the least. I don't agree with those who automatically expect 6 free wins in the division. Anyone who seriously contemplated a perfect season is both a moron and probably hasn't been following football for any length of time. The whole idea was ridiculous, especially after Edelman was lost for the season.

Brady was absolutely dreadful when the Dolphins beat the Pats in week 1 a couple years ago. He ended the season much better. Just sayin.

My opinion on the undefeated season was the same as Edelman’s. It’s too hard for any team in the modern NFL and this years schedule is not nearly as easy as last year’s was.

Brady and the offense will be fine. I was not happy with what I saw from the defense and it’s not like they had a wonderful preseason either. Hopefully they figure things out or forget the 2009 Pats... think 2005 or even 2002.

This team lacks a solidified defensive front 7. Richard Seymour is not walking through the door.

Is it too soon for "That's it, I can't stand it"?

I believe 11-5 & a win over Oakland & Pittsburgh will get us either HFA or at least a first round bye.

KC looked good, but the loss of Berry will hurt.

I have seen the Pats look real bad in the past & then they come out looking like a different team the following week.

I hope that is the case again, but we are going to have to wait & see.

KC is (or was before they lost Berry) better than Denver, NO, arguably the Raiders and Carolina (unless Newton suddenly remembers how to play QB. For that matter, they should have beaten the Steelers in the playoffs last year.

Like BB says, until the 6th game you don't even know what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes