PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The LA Rams - You know the team the Pats will play TOMMORROW???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is going to be the key to turning them into a pedestrian offense. This has always been Goff's achilles heel, and will continue to be. He's apparently uncoachable when it comes to not being afraid of the rush.

The Pats seem to be running the ball more, which I really enjoy. I like the running game and I find myself leaning in the direction that the RB is going when he's trying to move the pile. I also like to see the blockers mowing down the LBs and DBs downfield. Hopefully the Pats will have that kind of game tonight because I don't think we can rely on Cam's passing.

This is going to be the key to turning them into a pedestrian offense. This has always been Goff's achilles heel, and will continue to be. He's apparently uncoachable when it comes to not being afraid of the rush.
That and being able to work through their bunch formations to bring Woods, Kupp, and Co. down before killing us with YAC.

I've never gotten to deep into the stats before, but according to pro football reference we are #2 in qb pressure percentage, behind only the steelers. And while the Rams are near the top in sacks, they are near the bottom in pressure %. I haven't been able to watch the games as attentively this year, does this pass the eye test for anyone? I've thought we've had some decent pressure at times, but mostly inconsistent.

So what do we do. My mind goes back to a game where the Pats were in Pittsburgh and they had the best defense in the league and they had been DOMINANT against the run. So what did the Pats do. They came out with an offense that featured a NO huddle, 5 wide set, and simply passed them to death. Anyone else remember that game???

So here's the thing. The Rams are already great at stopping the run Given the short week I can only surmise that when you you are playing against a team who's passing attack is beyond abysmal, you just strengthen your already great run defense. But here's the thing. Cam is averaging about 70 passing yds a game over the last 2 games and a lot of that yardage came from YAC on throws at or behind the LOS. Pretty scary, right? BUT Cam is also the same QB who threw for 350+ against the Texans, and close to 400 against Seattle.

So folks, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pats decide NOT to pound their head against a defense (likely some kind of 8 man front that will look like a 4-4) and air it out.

Look maybe they might try and run the ball (our strength against your strength kind of thing), but they WILL have some kind of offense that will say "hey, I'm not crazy OR stubborn" And the only way we are going to win this game is by having the Offense score over 25 points, and they will have to do a LOT of that through the air. BTW, my impression was that the Rams were predominately a zone team in their coverage. Can anyone confirm or deny this impression?

I think offensively this game will be more similar to the Texans game. There is not reason to stick with the run if the opponent has the mathematical advantage through personnel/scheme against it. Because it also means we should have an edge in the pass game. Clearly today will be a game where there is not much margin for dropped passes like Jakobi early last week, overthrown screens or outside the numbers passes or screw-ups in protection.

To me the big questions that will decide this game will be:

a) Can we limit the success the Rams have in their running game on early downs ? The last few weeks have looked significantly improved and now lets see what they do against a heavy zone run scheme.

b) Can we deal with blitz pickups on offense efficiently and punish the Rams into stepping away from doing that as frequently as the Texans did ?

c) Can we win the turnovers ?

We shouldn't be favored to win the game but at the same time it is absolutely winnable. Lets hope this crazy wildcard ride can go on for at least another week.

While it does seem far fetched that we would align in a 5 wide set, but the fact is that any team can scheme to stop another team's run game. Even bad run defense teams. This team isn't bad. So how long can you run into brick walls before you HAVE to spread them out.

BTW- for this game I'd rather use the RPO look to run my play action passing game, rather than a standard fake to a RB which has the QB with his back turned to the defense. Let Can ride the RB into the LOS, and THEN pull back an throw. This way he will have a good look at the rush and pattern options from the snap of the ball.
Depends. We'll obviously need to pass to some degree, it's just weighing how much risks will be taken. Do we take care of the ball and try to play field position or actually try to throw downfield? I'm guessing they'll try for the former.

In order to go no huddle and spread the field, you need a QB that can anticipate, make accurate passes into tight spaces and make quick decisions.
Cam can't do any of the above. It's a recipe for disaster.
Not questioning any of your assessments, but here's the thing. Which would you rather do, play a close the vest, predominantly run oriented game and almost certainly lose by 7-10 points in an ugly game, OR swing for the fences and take advantage of run stacked formations and create mismatches and use tempo to actually try and win the game with the risk of being blown out.

We have had a number of VERY close games that we've lost this season, and a blowout like the Niners game. The thing is that each count the EXACT same in the schedule.

We wouldn't be 6 point underdogs after a 45-0 win on the same field if there weren't a LOT of factors that seem to favor the Rams, If not a 5 wide spread offense, lets at least push the ball down the field this week from other formations

Cam can't chuck it like Nick Mullens can. Let's stick with the run game. Watch Harris blow right by AD. Go Pats

I think offensively this game will be more similar to the Texans game. There is not reason to stick with the run if the opponent has the mathematical advantage through personnel/scheme against it. Because it also means we should have an edge in the pass game. Clearly today will be a game where there is not much margin for dropped passes like Jakobi early last week, overthrown screens or outside the numbers passes or screw-ups in protection.

To me the big questions that will decide this game will be:

a) Can we limit the success the Rams have in their running game on early downs ? The last few weeks have looked significantly improved and now lets see what they do against a heavy zone run scheme.

b) Can we deal with blitz pickups on offense efficiently and punish the Rams into stepping away from doing that as frequently as the Texans did ?

c) Can we win the turnovers ?

We shouldn't be favored to win the game but at the same time it is absolutely winnable. Lets hope this crazy wildcard ride can go on for at least another week.
Interesting that you chose the Texans game as your exemplar. That's an astute observation. I STILL think that the mediots are missing the point on this game. They all seem to want to put it all on the Pats for a loss to a team with a worse record than they had, when it reality it took a once a season fantastic game by Deshon Watson for the Texans to escape with a one touchdown win. There might have been a few individual game performances that were better than the one Watson hadin that game, but I'd wager they'd number half a handful. I thought he was THAT good.....and he needed to be to win that game. JMHO

It was also a game where Cam showed he CAN put up respectable pass yardage stats Even with a bad receiver corps.

BTW- This just occurred to me as I thought about the receivers.

Why not use Moncrief in the Harry spot and move Harry into the slot and give him the Gronk routes (seam, incuts and crossers). It would create more favorable match ups for him. Besides he's a very willing blocker even against LB's and DE. I don't see the downside,.

I love that this game feels like a playoff game. It feels like January already. If they keep winning, I'll get to feel this way for many months. Usually by now we have almost clinched a playoff spot.
Go get 'em Cam and Co.

Not questioning any of your assessments, but here's the thing. Which would you rather do, play a close the vest, predominantly run oriented game and almost certainly lose by 7-10 points in an ugly game, OR swing for the fences and take advantage of run stacked formations and create mismatches and use tempo to actually try and win the game with the risk of being blown out.

We have had a number of VERY close games that we've lost this season, and a blowout like the Niners game. The thing is that each count the EXACT same in the schedule.

We wouldn't be 6 point underdogs after a 45-0 win on the same field if there weren't a LOT of factors that seem to favor the Rams, If not a 5 wide spread offense, lets at least push the ball down the field this week from other formations
I understand about pushing the envelope, but it's sure disaster in my opinion.
This High School offense they are running cannot hide Scams deficiencies, as much as they are trying.
Any Middle school coach could come up with a plan to stop this offense, it's just having the talent to actually do it.

I think the Pats still try to run the ball. If they try and pass it all over the yard best case there are a lot of 3 and outs and worst case there's a lot of turnovers. I think the key will be misdirection plays where the Pats can then use their bulk against a smaller defense predicated on speed and use leverage against them. I expect a lot of options with Cam as well.

They need to stay ahead, controlling the clock and wearing the Rams down. If they get down it will end up looking like the SF game. The Rams special team gives up a lot of yardage so they need to win that battle. Then the defense needs to at least harass the crap out of Goff and hopefully turn him over a few times. They need to shut down Woods on those shallow crossers and the guy I'm really worried about is Kupp. If he's racking up the YAC it could be a long night.

All that said I like the Pats in a SB 36 of 20-17 where they outcoach and frustrate the Rams.

So, I just looked at the RAMS defense. They are #1 against the Pass. #3 against the Run in terms of yards, #6 in terms of YPC.

This tells me that we want to stick with the RUN game against them. Especially with Cam.
Cam CAN NOT have a repeat of what happened against the 49ers.

We will have to win on STs and our Defense will have to help shorten the field whenever possible.
The Rams Punt coverage unit has only allowed 14 returns BUT they are allowing a whopping 15.5 yards per return. This is in the same realm as the Chargers. Hopefully Olszewski's magic will continue as the Patriots are the Leagues BEST with an average of 21.1 YPR.

On the flip side, the Rams Punt Return team is abysmal. They average a paltry 5.6 YPR. Definitely should be able to exploit this.
The Rams Kick return unit is in the bottom 6 in the league with only 16 returns and 23rd with an average of 20.6 YPR.
The Rams kick-off coverage is tied for 30th in that they let up 28.7 YPR.. So I'm hoping Moncrief can really bust a couple tonight.

Gotta get this W.

A loss here = eliminated from playoffs. maybe not officially but its pretty much a fact.

Watching pregame. Minding my business. Listening to DMac talk about his interest in the community. Then BAM !

What the actual ?!!! Myles Garrett is the Browns’ nominee ? Hahaha. What ? The dude who raged last season and was suspended for smashing a helmet at a dude ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes