PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing The Hoyer’s back

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

Hope we have a more playable backup on the roster but glad to have Hoyer back as QB coach essentially.

I don’t know why Stidham was even on the team last year if he couldn’t get garbage snaps over Hoyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: sb1
  • Agree
Reactions: sb1
I used to go hard with that joke, but Ferentz has turned into a viable reserve IOL. He's at least no longer the worst center I've ever seen play.
Yes, we may have a laugh but I agree with you. He has been around for few seasons and has a place as a back up if required.

Yup, this is the time of the offseason for the easy, simple re-signings. Hoyer, Ferentz, Slater (likely), and to a lesser extent McCourty. Won't make big splashes, but they're good pieces that are easy to retain.

Hoyer is our QB coach, assistant offensive coach whether he knows it or not.
Brian instead of practicing today, why don’t you work with Nick, Joe and I on breaking down this film for weaknesses.
Bill what is this room?
Think of it as your personal locker room.
Does that plate on the desk say Coach Hoyer?
How did that get there, I’ll get this straightened out immediately.
No Bill it’s ok let’s watch that film?
Should I call my wife and tell her it’s going to be a long night?
Good to have you about aboard Hoy.

I don’t know why Stidham was even on the team last year if he couldn’t get garbage snaps over Hoyer.
Still on his rookie contact. Costs nothing. It was like 300k in dead cap if they released him last year, 100k this year. No real reason not to keep him.

Hes not retiring afterall?

Still on his rookie contact. Costs nothing. It was like 300k in dead cap if they released him last year, 100k this year. No real reason not to keep him.
Waste of a roster spot. Not even good enough to beat out Hoyer who is pretty bad.

Very good garbage time QB and someone who can hopefully help Mac to keep growing.

Waste of a roster spot. Not even good enough to beat out Hoyer who is pretty bad.
Honestly, they had the free roster spot with Jakob Johnson, so it truly didn't matter. Now with Johnson not being tendered, we'll see. It's only 100k or so of dead cap.

Take it up with Bill. They could have cut Stidham when he returned from his back surgery last season. Instead, they activated him to the 53. I’ve never understood the vitriol towards Stidham. It’s not his fault he was over hyped after Brady left.

Stidham could not take any garbage time snaps because he wasn’t active. The Pats only activate 2 QBs a game.

It’s good to have Hoyer back. The 2 year deal tells me he got a signing bonus this time. Good for him.

Hoyer is our QB coach, assistant offensive coach whether he knows it or not.
Brian instead of practicing today, why don’t you work with Nick, Joe and I on breaking down this film for weaknesses.
Bill what is this room?
Think of it as your personal locker room.
Does that plate on the desk say Coach Hoyer?
How did that get there, I’ll get this straightened out immediately.
No Bill it’s ok let’s watch that film?
Should I call my wife and tell her it’s going to be a long night?
Good to have you about aboard Hoy.
It’s a funny joke but probably kind of true. I see this contract as one that is intended to carry him through his final playing years and then into coaching. Many people will tell you Hoyer has said he doesn’t want to coach, but it’s not accurate - he said he felt it would be irresponsible (rather, his wife would be mad at him) to have to put in more hours as a coach for less money than if he was still on the roster. I can see this being an agreement between Bill and Hoyer where Bill says “I’ll pay you good backup QB money for two more years, but you’ll have to do some extra work coaching up Mac and any other potential QB I draft and working with the offense, then after this you’re my QB coach in 2024.” Hoyer turns 37 this season so I don’t think he will get a ton of offers at age 39. I’m sure he will be ready to hang them up by then, and coaching is the obvious next career step.

Honestly Hoyer could be the psuedo-assistant OC if Bill really does intend to run the offense this year.

Take it up with Bill. They could have cut Stidham when he returned from his back surgery last season. Instead, they activated him to the 53. I’ve never understood the vitriol towards Stidham. It’s not his fault he was over hyped after Brady left.

Stidham could not take any garbage time snaps because he wasn’t active. The Pats only activate 2 QBs a game.

It’s good to have Hoyer back. The 2 year deal tells me he got a signing bonus this time. Good for him.
The writing was on the wall for Stid when Bill wouldn't give him a look at the end of 2020 playing out the string with Cam instead.

Also next time a guy does this then do something on the field first to earn it.

1647265195181.png

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back