PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Greatest (NBA) Game Ever Played

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Just finished watching on NBATV, along with Ron Tugnutt's 72-save performance vs Bruins at the old Garden in 1991 on the NHLN, the 40th anniversary of the Celtics' triple-OT win vs Phoenix in Game 6 of the 1976 Championship.

The game ended around 12:30 on Saturday morning, and my brother & I probably didn't fall asleep until at least 1am. I had to wake up earlier than usual for a Saturday, because I had to go into Latin School so I could take the SAT exam.
Needless to say, there were a LOT of tired but excited students taking those tests, and the talk before and after them was not about how well or poorly we did on them, that's for sure.

Glenn McDonald…'nuff said.

Just finished watching on NBATV, along with Ron Tugnutt's 72-save performance vs Bruins at the old Garden in 1991 on the NHLN, the 40th anniversary of the Celtics' triple-OT win vs Phoenix in Game 6 of the 1976 Championship.

The game ended around 12:30 on Saturday morning, and my brother & I probably didn't fall asleep until at least 1am. I had to wake up earlier than usual for a Saturday, because I had to go into Latin School so I could take the SAT exam.
Needless to say, there were a LOT of tired but excited students taking those tests, and the talk before and after them was not about how well or poorly we did on them, that's for sure.

Glenn McDonald…'nuff said.
Brent Musberger: "Richie Powers has just been assaulted by a fan!"
and, after Gar Heard sent it to Triple OT, Rick Barry: "IT'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't the best played game; it's just that both teams were not going to give up that day.

One of the countless things I loved rooting for the Celtics then, was that whenever we went on the road, we could point and laugh at the other city's exploding scoreboard, bellowing PA announcer and sexy cheerleaders, there to entice people to come and keep their attention once there. We never had any of that nonsense at the Garden; fans came to see the game. The game was the show and nothing spoiled it. Unless somebody like me buys the team, guess we'll never have that again. By the way, I always liked Ainge, since his BYU days, but if he were running the team in the 60's we'd have won maybe one title. With Red we won nine. Granted, unfair to compare anyone to Red, but nobody seems to learn from his relatively simple business/sports team model.

Yep, nobody came to the old Garden to "be seen" or to hob-nob with the "beautiful people," that's for sure.
It's hard to look beautiful after attending a playoff game there, in June, with 15000 other people, with no air conditioning.

Yep, nobody came to the old Garden to "be seen" or to hob-nob with the "beautiful people," that's for sure.
It's hard to look beautiful after attending a playoff game there, in June, with 15000 other people, with no air conditioning.
FleetCenter/TD Garden does have AC now...

I went to many games at the old garden. that place was so loud it vibrated. a friend of mine worked for the herald and had press credentials. he took me into game 7 conference semi finals in 1987 against the Milwaukee bucks. we sat on the floor with the photographers. it was a Celtics fans wet dream. i still have the press pass.

That's funny because my experiences were the same. My parents weren't happy that I was up so late the night before the SAT but I was actually more relaxed. I took mine at Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury and everybody was still talking about the game versus being nervous for the SAT, maybe it helped....

I went to many games at the old garden. that place was so loud it vibrated. a friend of mine worked for the herald and had press credentials. he took me into game 7 conference semi finals in 1987 against the Milwaukee bucks. we sat on the floor with the photographers. it was a Celtics fans wet dream. i still have the press pass.
All I remember about the Old Garden was keeping my feet off the floor when sitting up in the nose bleed seats because of the rats that scurried back and forth.....
And no I am not making it up.........

All I remember about the Old Garden was keeping my feet off the floor when sitting up in the nose bleed seats because of the rats that scurried back and forth.....
And no I am not making it up.........
I didn't mean to romanticize the dilapidated old Garden (When Havlicek first came to visit after draft, he was assured "Don't worry, we'll build a new arena in no time...") I'm specifically referring to the nonsense and noise that is/was not necessary in the present Fleet/TD Garden building.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back