PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ecstatic "Back to what it's all about" Season Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Vindication is a big word with big meaning. Particularly when the right outcome is so blindingly obvious to all but those 'chosen' few who refuse to admit that such things as evidence and proof never did exist in the first place. That's why it's pure, unadulterated bliss to get to simply push the sheer stupidity of the league to my rearview mirror and get to the defense of a Super Bowl title for the NE Patriots!

Obscured by a league office so biased in their pursuit of their new Salem witch hunt, is the fact that this years' Patriot team is one that could be as good as last years' edition for completely different reasons. Last year we were all giddy and aglow with a defense highlighted by two superior cornerbacks and a safety to go along with linebackers that had teased us with that high ceiling potential the year before. This year the 'tease' has moved from those now gone CBs and fully-established LBs to a defensive front that could in many ways offset those cover corner losses through pressure. On offense, obscured somewhat by injury, the tantalizing potential of a revamped two-headed TE monster of 'Chandler and the Gronk' (which sounds vaguely like a Friends sitcom spinoff - 8pm Thursdays on NBC) should make everyone just a wee bit anxious with excitement given the WR corps returns FULLY INTACT for the first time in like a decade.

Offense:
G.O.A.T. Let that sink in for a second. This is Larry Bird. Michael Jordan. Joe Montana. Wayne Gretzky. And he's OUR guy! We have been privileged to witness it...be on board with it...cheer for it...we can't be an 80s Cinderella song and not know what we've got till it's gone. Tom F'n Brady has been, will be, and is the QB for our team. In the realm of "givens" this is the lead pipe cinch.
Okay, so I'm a bit excited. Forgive me. That said, there are multiple reasons this offense is both better and a little worrisome this year and while the top paragraph above is as much of a lock as anything can be in this world, there's some things that will necessarily have to follow the tried and true Belichick team-ism of progression through this year for the team to succeed. Both center around the offensive line.
While necessary that the team moved on from last years' line-up, finally settled after the KC debacle, the preseason has shown indicators that both the pass protection and running game aspects of the OL have been flat disappointing so far. The injuries (particularly Stork and Wendell) MAY solve all here as integrating one lineman into a group is a great deal easier than three; however the continued uncertainty of Vollmer's health and up and down play of Solder as well add just that smidgeon of doubt that must be closely monitored. Add in a pretty good bet of a rookie at G and a preseason where seemingly every running play attempted LOST yards and the worry grows just a bit.
All that said, the team is absolutely loaded at the skill positions. A full returning WR corps with established 'same page-edness' with the QB peppered with tantalizing Chandler, Wayne, and Dobson new stuff potential should whet any Pats fan appetite. Just thinking of Chandler and Gronk both flexed on LBs or small S/CBs while Edelperson shreds the under coverage and LaFell either works the sidelines or goes deep should have Mr Brady eager to get this party started. If the OL holds up...this should be the best Offense since 2007 (if not better) in the air. On the ground a nice blend of 'pop' and 'shiftiness' will let a front runner (no pun intended) emerge in both the lead and 3d down roles, but again the OL remains the key here. The team may have to 'pass to establish the run' to start the year. Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Defense:
I really like that BB has allowed Patricia to make this defense his own (and there should be no doubt in such thing, while BB has the overall reins he has always allowed his coordinators to shape their units) which has meant a nice blend of the talents doing what they do best. The A gap blitzing might have been the single best adjustment taken all year last year. This year, while we've seen a marked decline in the coverage abilities of the back half, the numerous and varied pass rushers this team has employed makes that change much more palatable. Now while an answer of "both" is the ultimate when questioned regarding a defenses' propensity to either lock down WRs or make the quarterback run for his life, one or the other in the salary cap world may in fact be "good enough".
Those that have gushed over the LBs - I'm 100% with you - and they have Mayo back! Add in Nink given the welcome addition of Sheard and 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 3-3, etc, etc are all on the table with many of those options available on the fly as an opposing QB checks coverage. The swath of safeties does the same with allowing multiple looks as well. Is Collins blitzing or covering the RB or LB? Is McCourty a CB vs a TE or a S in deep center field. I think we forget sometimes the mental havoc the 2003-2004 teams played with QBs particularly in short field situations (or early in a contest to try and let their GOAT get them a lead) when it was most necessary.

Special Teams:
I know preseason isn't worth much because the faces change so fast, but this was the other worrisome area for me in watching the games. Too much running room, poor tackling, etc. That said, with the sheer flood of injuries this too can be easily explained away, but was worth at least a mention. Otherwise, skills alone the Pats are the same as lost year excellent in the kicking game and solid punting with potential across the board in coverage and "special" plays such as PR and blocking kicks/punts.

I'm not even going to bring up coaching...seriously...do I have to?

Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. I gotta file my leave paperwork Tuesday...Thursday night is right around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots