PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Eagles should have pushed the guy into the end zone

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This might not be thread worthy, but what the hell it's a slow week

Was thinking about the end of the game, when Philly was letting KC score so they'd get the ball back with the chance to tie. The KC runner nearly screwed up and went in, but he caught himself at the last minute. Led me to think, if the Eagles had thought about it beforehand, they could have been ready to shove him into the endzone. Sort of a 4th & 1 quarterback sneak in reverse.

Actually, could they do that? A runner is down when his forward progress is stopped, would he also be down if he didn't want to go forward anymore but the defense was pushing him? I envision a crazy rugby-like scrum, again like a 4th and 1, but both teams going in the opposite direction. Kind of hilarious really. The next time the "they should let him score" thing comes up, that's what teams should plan to do. I mean, if it's legal.

Like I said, slow week

Or out of bounds to save a timeout.

But your way might have won the game for them.

I just kept thinking that this is the reason why you dont give up on any play.

he wouldve gone down the first sight of anyone within 5 yards of him. only reason he got so close was because eagles were so far away because they didnt move

I just kept thinking that this is the reason why you dont give up on any play.
I agree. Good examples are the Malcom butler, Ernest Byner, and Herm Edwards plays. It's never over until it's over.

he wouldve gone down the first sight of anyone within 5 yards of him. only reason he got so close was because eagles were so far away because they didnt move
I guess. I think there was a guy like a yard away when he went down. But I don't think Philly was thinking to do that

That would have been some next level genius stuff.

This might not be thread worthy, but what the hell it's a slow week

Was thinking about the end of the game, when Philly was letting KC score so they'd get the ball back with the chance to tie. The KC runner nearly screwed up and went in, but he caught himself at the last minute. Led me to think, if the Eagles had thought about it beforehand, they could have been ready to shove him into the endzone. Sort of a 4th & 1 quarterback sneak in reverse.

Actually, could they do that? A runner is down when his forward progress is stopped, would he also be down if he didn't want to go forward anymore but the defense was pushing him? I envision a crazy rugby-like scrum, again like a 4th and 1, but both teams going in the opposite direction. Kind of hilarious really. The next time the "they should let him score" thing comes up, that's what teams should plan to do. I mean, if it's legal.

Like I said, slow week
I believe he gave himself up therefore he was down.

I am thinking you should have had three people one in front and two in back literally tackling and carrying him to endzone . I did think about it as well...

He gave himself up. I don't think pushing him into the end zone would have made a difference at that point.

Eagles defense was used to leaving a KC player walk untouched into the endzone. Why change it up there? lol
Thanks for the much-needed LOL on what could potentially be an annoying work day!

I agree. Good examples are the Malcom butler, Ernest Byner, and Herm Edwards plays. It's never over until it's over.
Don't think the Butler example applies. Pats were up by 4. Seahawks had to punch it in, they couldn't just milk the clock and kick a chip shot. Chiefs could do just that. So, very different scenarios.

If he takes a knee, then yeah he's down, but short of that I don't think a guy's down
He slid down like a quarterback, right? I only watched it live and haven't seen the play since. But I'm pretty sure he slid down.

I am thinking you should have had three people one in front and two in back literally tackling and carrying him to endzone . I did think about it as well...
Like carting Mac down to the Pat's locker room.

He slid down like a quarterback, right? I only watched it live and haven't seen the play since. But I'm pretty sure he slid down.
yep, exactly. He went down and at that point the play would obviously be dead. You'd have to force him in before he was able to do that.

Kinda funny to imagine him yelling, "I give up! I concede!" lol

Wait let me find a pic of when he went down

bc06749ff9915d5b1dbe2ee30ed409b9

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye