PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dungy thing is getting a little bit overblown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats67 said:
the "maudlin outpouring of grief" wasn't limited to Indianapolis.
Yeah, what a bunch of tools. It was only his kid. Suck it up, Dungy. It's football season. < /sarcasm>

KDPpatsfan said:
What's that I smell? Filthy troll

no, what you "smell" is your own xenophobic "think like me or else" totalitarian viewpoint.

You don't like free speech and diverse opinion....move...try Cuba

Why does this story bring out the worst in this board. Left wing- right wing, who gives a crap? There must be 1000 political webs sites on the internet- why does politics have to be brought to a football board.:eek:

This is not a political issue anyway. I'm not going to say where I stand politically on a football board.

It's the MEDIA who is blowing this and everything else out proportion. If you're going to attack anyone, attack the media, not Dungy and not his dead son. And certainly not each other politically- we are all Patriots fans (except the trolls).

Joker said:
no, what you "smell" is your own xenophobic "think like me or else" totalitarian viewpoint.

You don't like free speech and diverse opinion....move...try Cuba

If you are going to post on this board, please use words that I don't have to break out the Websters to understand. It pisses me off.

Last edited:
I think while a tragedy the amount of media coverage given to this child taking his life has the possibility for others to follow his example. To someone who is not thinking clearly and wants "attention" the amount of covergage of the "grief" and the things about Dungy's son it might seem like an attractive option now because they can place themselves in that situation and feel they will get the reaction they desire if they take thier own life. (simplistic explination, but believe me I have seen many suicides and the "reasons" hardly ever make sense and little things like this can "justify" it for some people)

The St. Pete Time's front page is covered with the Dungy tragedy. It is also covered throughout the newspaper including the sports page. In addition, it is on the local newstations and ESPN. I choose to ignore it and usually have a heartfelt thought for the Dungy family when I pass on it. The political responses don't faze me as I see those same viewpoints in the political forum where they are just as obnoxious, although properly placed.

pats1 said:
I'm left scratching my head, wondering how a 9-reply thread about James Dungy has suddenly turned into a political discussion.

Totally agree with the above. Left, right, conservative, liberal and etc. are totally inconsequential here.

The point is that this is WAY overblown and I agree with the statement. Many parents loose their kids and are not discussed in multiple 20-30 page threads on a FOOTBALL forum. If I wanted to read peoples’ moral opinions on subjects such as this, I would have gone to http://forums.christianity.com/ or similar. And do not bring freedom of speech in this conversation – just find an appropriate medium to express your opinions.

PATSNUTme said:
If you are going to post on this board, please use words that I don't have to break out the Websters to understand. It pisses me off.

"if"?

OK...want me to stick with monosyllabic words or can I throw in an occasional polysyllabic word for effect....ooops.....

Bill B. said:
Why does the right wing always try to blame everything on the left? Just because someone has compassion, does not make him a bleeding heart liberal. Republicans always seem to take any chance to take a shot at the other side. And before you right wingers start the name-calling, I am an independent.

I agree. It was a moronic comment for the OP to make. WTF does the death of James DUngy have to do with politics? Answer: Nothing.

Back to the original subject. I dont have a problem with the coverage so far. The only problem I have is the media was basically rooting the Colts on before this happened. Now it makes it okay for them to openly root for the Colts to win it all.

Exactly...which basically has been the behind the scenes media agenda since pre-season...."we're sick of all this Patriots crap!!! we need that bread basket red state demographic!!!'...hence the near deification of PayedButStillABum Manning in the opening weeks cupcake Colts schedule....I'm hoping it all comes back to bite these ESPN clowns and the rest of the coast to coast Manning gagfest members right in their rather prodigious posteriors.

Anybody is preferable to a Colts appearance in this year's Super Bowl

Joker said:
"if"?

OK...want me to stick with monosyllabic words or can I throw in an occasional polysyllabic word for effect....ooops.....

So, your an English teacher or just a nit-picker.

I think there is nothin wrong with the attention this tragic act has received. Something like this makes football so trivial. Also a lot of the media types, are friendly with the people they cover, and have deep, true feelings for Dungy. These media types have all gone through the loss of family members (everybody has), and someone they know losing a son has touched them. I have seen a few of the ESPN reporters come close to tears discussing this sad event. I have no problem with the way some of the ESPN people have shown their human side.

well.......

LIDeadHead said:
This type of stuff really burns your biscuits,huh? Guess if he had won 3 super bowls , then you'd have a different take. Lay off the guy and stop making threads about how this bother you. Remember the world offered their condolences for BB's pappy, which was not as unfortunate or tragic as this. :nono:

If nothing else....I really appreciate your avatar!!! great dancing!

drew4008 said:
I agree, but obviously you and I will get shot down by Democrat bleeding hearts.
Cheap shot. A lame one at that.

godef said:
Cheap shot. A lame one at that.
I'd rather not go all out on a Pats board...

pats-blue said:
I think while a tragedy the amount of media coverage given to this child taking his life has the possibility for others to follow his example. To someone who is not thinking clearly and wants "attention" the amount of covergage of the "grief" and the things about Dungy's son it might seem like an attractive option now because they can place themselves in that situation and feel they will get the reaction they desire if they take thier own life. (simplistic explination, but believe me I have seen many suicides and the "reasons" hardly ever make sense and little things like this can "justify" it for some people)
Agree, Blue,
But then again, those on the edge are just that. I wonder why it is in today's society that so many kids are off-ing themselves? Most of the time it's kids who seem to have things going their way. The kids who have nothing or less seem to struggle, hurt, and either get killed or carry on, but they don't kill themselves, right? You'd know better than me, but at least that's how it seems here.

I think it's a part of how our society has evolved into a place where people are more and more isolated from each other, spending more time inside and afraid of the world instead of being out there and living life. We're bombarded by messages about how "dangerous" it is "out there". A big part of the suicide problem has to be tied to the isolation factor.

wistahpatsfan said:
Agree, Blue,
But then again, those on the edge are just that. I wonder why it is in today's society that so many kids are off-ing themselves? Most of the time it's kids who seem to have things going their way. The kids who have nothing or less seem to struggle, hurt, and either get killed or carry on, but they don't kill themselves, right? You'd know better than me, but at least that's how it seems here.

I think it's a part of how our society has evolved into a place where people are more and more isolated from each other, spending more time inside and afraid of the world instead of being out there and living life. We're bombarded by messages about how "dangerous" it is "out there". A big part of the suicide problem has to be tied to the isolation factor.

If the information on this site is correct, and the myspace link posted here actually belongs to James Dungy, then I do not believe his death was a suicide. No one actually said how he ended his life, and ESPN pointed out that the cause of death was unknown pending a toxicology report. Personally I believe that his death was a tragic drug overdose. Drugs were advertized on his myspace, and if this was a suicide, wouldn't it be a little more obvious, wouldn't there be a suicide note. I don't think we will ever know the truth, because as respect to Dungy I think the truth will get hidden from the public. And actually thats the way it really should be, this is a tragedy for the Dungy family and them only. The media coverage on this issue is very ridiculous. Just give the man some privacy.

Bill's Girl said:
Not that this matters, but I am a bleeding heart liberal and I think the coverage is a bit excessive too.......
I'm a Liberal, and I think the coverage is excessive, not because I don't think the story is meritorious of the coverage, but because I wish the media would leave these people alone. They have enough to go through without the media hounding them. I'm off the charts sick of this "They're a celebrity so we can follow them around and harrass them" garbage. If I ever saw a celebrity, (With the exception of Neil Armstrong, whom I'd approach but only with the utmost respect) I'd keep right on walking, I'm not delusional enough to think these people woke up today hoping they'd get to talk to some loser from Nova Scotia.

it's commercial exploitation of a family tragedy

PATSNUTme said:
Why does this story bring out the worst in this board. Left wing- right wing, who gives a crap? There must be 1000 political webs sites on the internet- why does politics have to be brought to a football board.:eek:

It's the MEDIA who is blowing this and everything else out proportion. If you're going to attack anyone, attack the media, not Dungy and not his dead son. And certainly not each other politically- we are all Patriots fans (except the trolls).
i'm a left winger, so what? you don't have to be left, right, or independent to offer a reasoned opinion on this subjext or on tedy bruschi's right calf muscle.

his coverage is beyond ridiculous, it's go to be oppressive. profit drives the TV industry, and the way you get profit is to have high RATINGS. everything we see on major tv is there because they think it'll get RATINGS. so today, the story has been excruciatingly covered. today, every minute you see of coverage, discussion, footage is exploitation of that family's grief for RATINGS. aka money.
the tv induustry gets hold of these stories and flogs them to death, 24 hours a day, till every rating point has been squeezed out of it. what about that poor girl in aruba, natalee ____? better yet, how come exxon/mobil reports $13 billion in profit for 3rd quarter 2005 and gets a tax cut?
if the dungy family wasn't accustomed to camera lights all the time they'd have asked for some respect by now. but it's part of the world theylive in and they may be de-sensitized to the whole thing.

RxJock1120 said:
... I don't think we will ever know the truth, because as respect to Dungy I think the truth will get hidden from the public. And actually thats the way it really should be, this is a tragedy for the Dungy family and them only. The media coverage on this issue is very ridiculous. Just give the man some privacy...
Right on about that. I felt a little wierd right after I saw my own post, like I was invading their privacy. The pigs at ESPN and the media in general probably never feel like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back